When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega PO or Rolex DSSD

Beco

Both are quite different watches, and although I prefer the PO by a long shot, I would probably go for the DSSD (against everything I believe in haha)

The latest DSSD's are built well, they're very accurate, and the proportionate cost to the gen is much smaller than the PO. If the UPO was as accurate as the DSSD rep I'd say the PO, but until that day, I would go for the DSSD.

Both are quite different watches, and although I prefer the PO by a long shot, I would probably go for the DSSD (against everything I believe in haha)

The latest DSSD's are built well, they're very accurate, and the proportionate cost to the gen is much smaller than the PO. If the UPO was as accurate as the DSSD rep I'd say the PO, but until that day, I would go for the DSSD.

I am with you. :)

Guest carlsbadrolex

Here is my rather biased position (although Im trying to be impartial).

Ive had the UPO and currently have the "V4" DSSD.

In my opinion the watches are such completely different creatures that its hard to determine which is the better choice.

I like the UPO, but the OMEGA emblem drove me nuts. By the time you source a Silix dial and do the transplant you realize there are other things that need to be done also and now your in for the long haul.

I prefer the DSSD because although people might assume its a fake (This really depends on what circles you travel in). Personally, none of my friends would think a watch I was wearing was a replica (unless it was one of my friends from here).

You also have the fact that MOST Rolex owners have never seen a DSSD in person. And arent going to clearly recall the pics they saw on some forum or press release.

The quality of the DSSD is about the best Ive seen (the GMT IIc is the best). With a couple very simple mods you have a great watch that in my opinion is a much better rep than the UPO.

If you have small wrists or are not sure about wearing a watch as large as the DSSD, then maybe the UPO is the better bet for you. Look on TZ or RF and see how many Gen DSSD owners are flipping their watches for a loss because after shelling out $9250 they realized it was too big for them. I personally LOVE the way it fits. I love the weight.

If its a LITTLE too large for you, try it on a nice NATO strap, although that pushes the watch about another 2mm away from the wrist, it can be worn more tightly and ultimately even more comfortably.

Good luck with your decision!!!

T

Guest carlsbadrolex

I hear this argument on the forums all the time... If you are a 19 year old kid with no job living with mom and dad in a middle class home driving a Honda Civic... yes this would be the case, every one will assume its fake.

If your known income or lifestyle does not warrant the use fullness of a $5000 watch... then yes, this might be the case and people will think its a fake.

But I think that if a poll was taken, you would find that more than 75% of the membership of this site could not only afford a genuine Rolex, but they live a lifestyle that would create the impression that they would not wear a replica. Put a couple gens in your collection, and you can get away with wearing just about anything.

What I do think is funny are the number of people who wear replica $20k + watches... Now that is a little more difficult to pull off. But it can be done, and done well by some of the membership here.

Look at Lanikai... I DARE YOU to look at him, look at his wrist (tree trunk) and ask him if the watch he is wearing is a gen or rep. Go ahead... DO IT!!!

Its all about who YOU are.

People will assume your genuine Rolex is fake before they'll assume your fake Rolex is genuine!

I hear this argument on the forums all the time... If you are a 19 year old kid with no job living with mom and dad in a middle class home driving a Honda Civic... yes this would be the case, every one will assume its fake.

If your known income or lifestyle does not warrant the use fullness of a $5000 watch... then yes, this might be the case and people will think its a fake.

But I think that if a poll was taken, you would find that more than 75% of the membership of this site could not only afford a genuine Rolex, but they live a lifestyle that would create the impression that they would not wear a replica. Put a couple gens in your collection, and you can get away with wearing just about anything.

What I do think is funny are the number of people who wear replica $20k + watches... Now that is a little more difficult to pull off. But it can be done, and done well by some of the membership here.

Look at Lanikai... I DARE YOU to look at him, look at his wrist (tree trunk) and ask him if the watch he is wearing is a gen or rep. Go ahead... DO IT!!!

Its all about who YOU are.

I'm a forty year old civil engineer and pay 40% income tax, live in a 5 bedroom detached house and my wife and I both drive pretty new Audi's.

It's been quite some time since I 'lived with mum and dad'

Most people (ie the petrol station attendant, the checkout girl in the supermarket) will assume your gen Rolex is fake...not your friends!

All I'm saying is that 9 out of 10 Rolex you see being worn as you go about your daily grind is fake!

Guest carlsbadrolex

Hey Wayward, I was not speaking of YOU as the 19 year old... It was a generalization. Im sorry if you took it otherwise!

Congrats on your house and Audi's!

I personally dont give a rats ass what the checkout girl thinks about my watch. My friends and the call girls I spend my disposable income on think they are gen!

Hey Wayward, I was not speaking of YOU as the 19 year old... It was a generalization. Im sorry if you took it otherwise!

I was only giving my situation as an example...no offence taken.

Congrats on your house and Audi's!

Thanks...again I was only using that info as an example.

I personally dont give a rats ass what the checkout girl thinks about my watch. My friends and the call girls I spend my disposable income on think they are gen!

Nor do I... I wish like you I could spend my disposable income on call girls but the wife wouldn't share my enthusiasm!

Oh...and I sure as hell wouldn't be calling Lanikai on his Rolex or otherwise!:p

Tough call. I'd say best thing to do is go to AD, try them on and see which one "speaks" to you. Pictures and research is all well and good (also necessary) but in the end you want to be sure you will be happy with the style you chose. Hands on experience is the best way to know.

Or like others have said...get them both and call it a day :p