When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So what do we think of the new Nautilus?

Corgi

Friends,

Among the many beautiful creations Patek Philippe presented at this year's Basel watch fair, one of the biggest surprises was a re-designed Nautilus available in a greater variety of materials - including full rose gold, white gold, and even bling bling.

While the classic 1970s shape remains, the greatest change was given to the dial - it is now graced by a circular motif, includes arabic numerals at the twelve-o-clock position, and a blend of both smooth and textured surfaces.

Don't worry though, these new models are specifically sized down for women - the originals still remain; but, it is likely Patek is using them to test market reaction for a future men's update to the watch.

Given the Nautilus is one of the hottest selling replicas on the market - in both MBK and standard variety - I have to ask if you welcome the updates or prefer the original design.

Personally, I find the new look very fresh and stylish; though the "12" marker just doesn't look right and the hands seem a tad too thick.

Here are some photos from the fair...

patek28.jpg

patek41.jpg

patek29.jpg

patek32.jpg

patek22.jpg

Incidentally, the 5719/1 full diamond encrust retails for $229,800.00 USD.

While I can appreciate the need to update an old classic, I'm not feeling the new dials, hands or the new bracelet to case transition for the center end link. The dial designs are a little too busy to my taste; I wish they would have kept with the cleaner, more classic ribbed design of the 3700 and 5711. The hands look a little clumsy to me and overall, the design looks as though it will become dated before long. It just looks gimmicky to me, esepcially in white (though the darker dial is a litle more acceptable in my opinion :) ).

I have a feeling that this will drive up demand of the previous 5711 and older Nautis :D

I actually think your first pic Corgi looks great!

I like the change. Some IMHO, when a new watch come out,

we do not always like it. Then in time we change our minds..

I remember the first time the DSSD was shown by our dealers,

No one liked the watch...(except me) for the most part..

Now look, more DSSD's are being sold than anything else..

I would love to see the 1st version you showed repped..

I bet it will sell great!

MM

Guest carlsbadrolex

It looks like a cheap replica to me... The rep builders should have no problem at all duplicating this.

They took a good classic design and screwed it all up!

T

Prefer the original dial much more. Most of the attraction to the Nautilus is the simplicity of the watch on the whole, and the dial plays a key part in that.

I've had my MBK Nautilus for nearly a year now (I think) and I still love it as much as the day I got it. In fact, I just recently removed all the swirlies on the mirror finish parts of the watch, and now it looks awesome!

Guest carlsbadrolex

It may have some small flaws, but that watch is truly stunning!!!

Not like this new crap they are peddling!

post-22-1239410834_thumb.jpg

Here is my MBK.

Note the completely incorrect date wheel window.

And note too, the incorrect font on the date wheel.

And of course the giant tell...Swiss Made...damn!!!

Before modding it was around 450.00

Best rep ever. Of course that is just IMO.

Guest avitt

Don't forget guys...These are ladies' watches! What appeals to the fairer gender does not always appeal to us.

I picked the one that I thought my wife would like the best (the diamond bezel), and showed her the picture...She loves it!!! As soon as a nice rep comes out, she'll be getting one ;)