When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modifying a factory 5513 to its limits

ThinkBachs

I've been wanting a vintage 5513, probably because of it's simplicity with all the characteristics of a Rolex Submariner. Before looking into what I should actually start with, I'm starting with a rep of a 5513. My first impression is it looks OK from 5 feet away, but once I started looking into how close this actually is, I'm starting to think that it might not be the best way to go about this. From what I've read, it seems that the MBW is the preferred case to work with. The biggest issues that I've noticed so far are the crystal and the crown. Beyond this, I'll let the pros chime in and share their insight about the possibilities for transforming this watch.

Let's start with what the original looks like...

9.jpg

Now, what we have to work with...

4.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

1.jpg

8.jpg

I didn't take shots of the bracelet because I'd rather concentrate on the body at this point, though I am considering going with a Tropix 20mm rubber with curved ends. I like rubber straps and thought it might give it a unique look. A few things that I had in mind were giving it a new crystal, T19 I believe; gen crown and tube; not sure what to do with the dial; possibly a gen pearl; wondering about sanding down the bezel insert; and thinking about banging it up a bit to give it some "authenticity." It also looks like the edges of the outside of the case need to be rounded a bit, they look too sharp. The crown guards need to be trimmed, they've had too much candy this Halloween...

So, what are your thoughts?

The MBW 5513 is is probably the best sub or any rollie for that matter to get as close to a gen with mods. The good news is a gen dial you can pick up for a good price and will drop straight in. No date wheel to mess around with. A gen insert and some casework plus gen tube and crown and there you have it.

Here's mine with later gen glossy dial and platinum around the lume markers....

5513-1.jpg

Cheers

P.

I have a fully moded MBW 5512 but if I was starting again I would go another route.

From your MBW 5513 which will cost you $400 you will only really use the case and bezel assembly.

The movement

Crystal

Crown

Tube

Pearl

are all scrap and you have to modify the lug holes, CG’s and tube hole. All this will cost you time and money for tools and if you haven’t done it before your first set of CG’s will likely turn out rubbish, I know mine did :bangin: .

Buy this

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6924997/6894678.htm

for $360 plus

Dial

Hands

Crystal

ETA 2846

Crown

Tube

Movement holder

You will have a better rep for less work and about the same cost.

I would want to see more of Yuki's case, especially the Hev side & caseback (he only displays the front). But if it, as I suspect it may, turns out to be the same case that NDtrading sells for 4-5 times as much, then I would ditto ShawnBeever. Otherwise, with the caveats SB indicated, you can do alot with an MBW, a dremel, a handful of gen parts & alot of time & patience

5514glamour013cropped21.jpg

9315wristies0101.jpg

The MBW 5513 is is probably the best sub or any rollie for that matter to get as close to a gen with mods. The good news is a gen dial you can pick up for a good price and will drop straight in. No date wheel to mess around with. A gen insert and some casework plus gen tube and crown and there you have it.

Here's mine with later gen glossy dial and platinum around the lume markers....

Cheers

P.

I did a lot more research last night and found that this was the consensus across the board, bar none. Feel free to send me a pm about the price, maybe I can find some things to sell off for it...

I agree with Pete. Start with the MBW 5513.

Here is mine with Gilt dial, Clark Hands and slow beat 2846. Of course it also has the crown/tube and insert mods as well.

I love that bracelet, this is a great looking watch! My concern with these is getting one to fit my big fat wrist. :(

Here's a nice example:

The dial looks perfect on this one, but I'm not sure that the case looks right, meaning that the edges look a little too sharp and the CG's seem a little fatter than what I remember. This is not to say that it's not correct, I just don't remember it looking like this...

Or, you could just buy this one:

All Genuine Rolex except for the NDT mid-case and back

And I'll include this Gilt/gloss dial and gilt hands to make it period correct.

1962 1560 chronometer movement

Freshly overhauled.

You know you want it.......

Wanting it and being able to afford it are two ends of a very wide spectrum for me! :) Wow!

I have a fully moded MBW 5512 but if I was starting again I would go another route.

From your MBW 5513 which will cost you $400 you will only really use the case and bezel assembly.

The movement

Crystal

Crown

Tube

Pearl

are all scrap and you have to modify the lug holes, CG

Either way it's going to be expensive- but I would go with the recommendation on the NDT case and sourcing the rest yourself piece by piece.

MBW's are nice "out of the box" reps, or great platforms for modding, and for a very long time they were the only people sourcing viable looking vintage reps. But truly with that route you would have more spare parts and be into it for a wee bit more than just the case anyhow. You can find good looking inserts and pearls on eBay. Good luck- my favorite Rolex of all time!

Bro, given that it is better than CWP insert, where do I get the PMWF insert

When you mentioned Ofrei pearl, are you referring to this:

http://www.ofrei.com/page_150.html#9131

Two more silly question, (1) is MBW insert good enough, or should I get the PMWF as advised? (2) is the SS bracelet supposed to be hoolow mid links?

Thanks in advance.

I ordered a CWP insert for my 1680 but it was never installed.

The PMWF insert combined with the Ofrei pearl is 99% close to the gen insert

But the nicest IMHO is this one

IMG_4041.jpg

Carpe Diem

Cats

Bro, given that it is better than CWP insert, where do I get the PMWF insert

Click here

Had you spent 15 seconds to search this forum for 'pmwf', the number of posts that include this link would have buried you.

When you mentioned Ofrei pearl, are you referring to this:

http://www.ofrei.com/page_150.html#9131

Yes

Two more silly question, (1) is MBW insert good enough, or should I get the PMWF as advised? (2) is the SS bracelet supposed to be hoolow mid links?

Yes.

while we are on the subject of 5513's, what do we think of these tubes and crowns.

crowns on the bay

I thought the deal with Timeholder was that he was sending out rep tubes and crowns- the old type of rep tubes and crowns- not the new ones which are at least a copy of the gen crowns and tubes (and somewhat interchangeable).

I've had good luck with the rep tubes from Helfand's, Clark's and even Mr. Slimeball in Sugar Land (wholesaleoutlet999/jewelryoutlet555). Then I pick up a used Rolex 24-703-0 crown. Keeps costs under $50 for a set.