When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A little help in dispelling a myth I believe in

Prsist

I work in retail. I'm afraid that wearing anyone of my reps in the course of a business day I will damage a rep more so than one of my gens.

When I work freight (cracking boxes open, setting POG's and displays, and putting out product) My watch sometimes comes into contact to shelves, pallets, etc... I'm hesitate in wearing my gen Tag Aquaracer and Breitling Aerospace Avantage yet I do. I just believe they will hold up better than my reps. Granted any watch that takes a good hit will damage but i'm under the thinking that my gens will hold up better in resisting nicks, scratches, or dings. I just bought an Ebel 1911 to wear at work but she is so darn nice I'm hesitant. I have an Omega PO that i use as a beater but want a watch that has the day, date, and chrono feature to wear at work. All the watches i like are real nice (my Ebel and I'm looking at the IWC Aquatimer).

Am I just a worry wort? To protective of my reps? I feel they are more fragile than my gens.

Truth or fiction??!?!?

I feel the same way.. be it rep. or gen.... especially if your type A personality.. which I think you'll find a lot of us have this in common .. IMO it's part of the culture of our hobby :p

For me I pick a rep that has flaws.. right now I wear an SD from 1am until today.. 4am .. and now that my physical work side of the business is done.. I have on my BP 5004 for breakfast.. and will put on my 1655 a little later... on and on we go... B)

I doubt that helped answer your quere.. but that is how alot of us roll ........ :D

Aloha~Cheers

L

if you're banging your watches into stuff, they are all going to accumulate dings and scratches -- both rep and gen.

it's not like gens are using dent-resistant metal :bangin: unless of course you're talking about a sinn u2, which is made from tegimented submarine steel...

dsc00921mq3.jpg

deltatahoe

Reps should be just as durable, but I would choose your beater wisely. Certain parts like a bezel inserts or the AR coating may not take the abuse that a gen would. In selecting your beater I would pick a watch with a solid bezel and no AR.

As far as the outside goes a rep is just as tough as a gen and you will never kill a good 21J, trust me Iv'e been trying for 12 mths. If it can stand up to spliting wood or useing an electric jack hammer or full bore rifle shooting you won't break it at work. Stay tuned for the full report on the toture test noob soon. Just have to get the beastie to Offshore for a teardown and pics.

Col.

I used to have cheapo Silix 21j Submariner 1680 that I wore to work. Going through a door one day, I hit it against the metal door frame, hard!!! Other than a little scuff on the crystal (which came out with Polywatch polishing compound) the watch was ok and still ran like a champ.

I would imagine that any watch you cared about would make your heart skip a beat if you hit it against anything. Although, I would be weary of wearing a rep Fiddy to work since a lot of them have had problems with the crystal cracking and shattering, even without being hit against anything.

Cheers B)

my first rep which was a cheapo PO chrono from Andrew, did a great job at my work, where i was carrying boxes around hitting my watch off metal shelves etc but I never got any scratches on the glass cos its sapphire, which is sweet seeing as it cost me like $100. Had a few scuffs on the bracelet but nothin major...my dad wears it now as his daily beater lol.

at the moment the only reps I have are cheapish type ones, i dont have any "Super reps" yet so my mentality towards it is well it only cost me $100 therefore it is gets smashed up scratched it doesnt really matter, but at the mo all my reps seem to be holding up nicely! :D

my first rep which was a cheapo PO chrono from Andrew, did a great job at my work, where i was carrying boxes around hitting my watch off metal shelves etc but I never got any scratches on the glass cos its sapphire, which is sweet seeing as it cost me like $100. Had a few scuffs on the bracelet but nothin major...my dad wears it now as his daily beater lol.

at the moment the only reps I have are cheapish type ones, i dont have any "Super reps" yet so my mentality towards it is well it only cost me $100 therefore it is gets smashed up scratched it doesnt really matter, but at the mo all my reps seem to be holding up nicely! :D

It's actually quite amazing how much quality you get for the $100, definitely a lot more duress than what you would get out of a cheap supermarket junk

Lani you kill me! You change watches more than underwear! I don't have a good concept of a beater. When I'm wearing my beater I am constantly thinking "What mods can I perform....." :g:

There is a very simple , logical , and readily available answer to this statement of yours Prsist !!!

Buy more reps !! .. More reps ~ more choices !!! Yesterday's super rep is today's beater.. cause there will alway's be...... "Just one more"

"Lanikai's book of Rep. Logic" B)

Aloha~Cheers

L

It's actually quite amazing how much quality you get for the $100, definitely a lot more duress than what you would get out of a cheap supermarket junk

indeed, nice sig btw, you see that the ruling on them diffusers was deemed legal, will probably have to wait till Barcelona before we see some of the other teams with new diffusers to get on a similar level to brawn.

As far as the outside goes a rep is just as tough as a gen and you will never kill a good 21J, trust me Iv'e been trying for 12 mths. If it can stand up to spliting wood or useing an electric jack hammer or full bore rifle shooting you won't break it at work. Stay tuned for the full report on the toture test noob soon. Just have to get the beastie to Offshore for a teardown and pics.

Col.

Im realy looking foward to your one year torture test. Im about to purchase a 2813 21j Pam Gmt. I hear they are a robust movement that can take a licking ;) we will see :) Mike

Rep or gen, I remove my watch when doing anything that could damage the watch. I learnt that lesson the hard way when I used to do construction work with my Citizen Perpetual Calender Eco Drive. The bracelet is all scuffed up with deep dings and the crystal is all scratched. Also the seconds hand has slipped and does not move the minute hand right at 12 anymore. I am currently in the process of replacing the crystal and polishing the bracelet and bezel.

If any work I do which could compromise the watch, I take it off and put it in my pocket. If you have to wear a watch while doing such work, I'd get a real "beater", one you could "throw away" as a disposable watch, be it a rep or a $10 mall watch.

Wear them, bump them, scratch them, knock them. They are but things.

If wearing an Ebel makes you smile, don't deny yourself the pleasure because it might get scuffed up.

Some guy on Timezone once posted a close-up photo of his $50,000 annual calendar. It was completely scuffed up with bruises and scratches - but he loved it, and so did everyone else. A watch you love is meant to be an extension of you: your personal style, taste, and passion. At the end of the day, every mark is a piece of history - the history of your life. How exciting and memorable it is ten or twenty years down the line depends on you.

Metal is metal. you can damage a gen just as easy as a rep.

i agree with fakey here.

i now have 3 beater watches ... Rollie GMT II Pepsi, Omega SMP and newly acquired PAM029 - no super reps by any means just above entry level but the best if it explodes, dies, gets dinged up, scratched up i am not really caring because of the price point cost.

however, if my gen Tourneau Dual Time Zone, TAG Professional, or my grandfathers gen Hamilton and my dad's two watches got all scratched and damaged i would be really really upset and disappointed. using the rep beater always me preserve and wear my gens for better ocassions.

just my two cents :);)

If wearing an Ebel makes you smile, don't deny yourself the pleasure because it might get scuffed up.

Some guy on Timezone once posted a close-up photo of his $50,000 annual calendar. It was completely scuffed up with bruises and scratches - but he loved it, and so did everyone else. A watch you love is meant to be an extension of you: your personal style, taste, and passion. At the end of the day, every mark is a piece of history - the history of your life. How exciting and memorable it is ten or twenty years down the line depends on you.

This is a great phisilophy. Watches are just things... I used to baby my watches but have changed my way of thinking and wear my gen and reps anywhere now (except the gym).

I dont mind the dings or scracthes on the body, bezel, band but still get upset with small crystal blemishes.

This is a great phisilophy. Watches are just things... I used to baby my watches but have changed my way of thinking and wear my gen and reps anywhere now (except the gym).

I dont mind the dings or scracthes on the body, bezel, band but still get upset with small crystal blemishes.

Agreed! :)

Well put Corgi. I don't thinknit could be said any better.