When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a Gen Explorer 1

ShawnBeever

Is this a gen explorer. It is being sold as a P series year 2000 without papers. My concerns are that

It clearly has the Rolex crown at 6 on the crystal which I don’t think even the current gens have

The fit of the end links is really poor

The dial is marked ‘Swiss’ indicating a Luminova dial which I don’t think were introduced until 2002-2003 rather than ‘Swiss T < 25’ Tritium dial which it should have.

What do you think. :g:

Img1458.jpg

SWISS dials are luminova dials that came in picture around 1999 and are transitional dials between the Swiss T < 25 and the superluminova SWISS MADE dials... if the P serial i presume the dial shod be a SWISS Made?

The edged crown is a thing of new models and was not on P serial watches ... maybe replacement Cristal, maybe franken... ???

Ill let other reputable members chime in...

Laz

SWISS dials are luminova dials that came in picture around 1999 and are transitional dials between the Swiss T < 25 and the superluminova SWISS MADE dials... if the P serial i presume the dial shod be a SWISS Made?

The edged crown is a thing of new models and was not on P serial watches ... maybe replacement Cristal, maybe franken... ???

Ill let other reputable members chime in...

Laz

+1 here.

A very confusing combo :o

But I'm not fully aware of what an Explorer 1 should be if a P...

Still, it seems weird.

very interesting, not sure if it is gen or not.

here is mine, and other than my bracelet, looks awefully similar, guess that says alot for my rep ;)

DSCF2878.jpg

here is a pic of a gen. item to notice; the numerals and the amount of white in the numbers. its centered and thinner on a gen. also, as far as I know, and the experts can correct me, only later models with sel bracelets would have an etched crown on the crystal, and as I have observed with a brand new exp I at the AD, it is near invisible.

B103_Rolex_Explorer_11.jpg

would be interested in seeing the ad link...

thanks for sharing :)

I thought i saw this somewhere and yes i agree its a decent respected forum... actually i have purchased a watch recently there myself ;)

Still in my personal experience if i am not 100% comfortable with the deal i tend to forget it... no mater how sweet it may appear...

Laz

If I wanted a genuine late model explorer I, it would have to be one with M at the end of the serial number.

M = the later 3130 movement

The 3130 would be a much better choice than the 3000 movement imho.

Otoh...

If you find a watch with cal 3000 at a bargain price...get it. (it would have to be a bargain for me to get a watch with the cal 3000)

Since replicas of the late exp I are so good, I would not consider a genuine watch unless I just had to have one.

You could buy a replica exp I from a forum "collector" or member and wear it while you are looking for a genuine...you might change your mind about genuine. :p

Other than the crown on the crystal, the watch looks fine to me. If it's a service crown, no problem. I also doubt a rep crown would fit, but I can't be sure since I've never tried on the EXP I.

The end links are detachable which is correct for that year model and they don't fit as nicely as the SEL's, especially if they've been removed once or twice. They could be adjusted to fit a little better.

The price is fair- works out to around $2300USD, but don't forget, a nine year old watch is due for a service- might have to add two hundred dollars to the equation.

I doubt a couple of guys on TZ-UK would be scamming- it wouldn't be worth it IMO- especially if they've been around for a while.