When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Football with Feet or Soccer as we Yanks call it

lanikai

I don't know why this subject always causes so much heated emotions. Not to say soccer is the greatest sport or anything, but it's the superior sport when it comes to worldwide popularity. It's ridiculous to even compare other sports to it.

Soccer is played all around the world, by BILLIONS of people. American football, which actually originated from European rugby... imported to the US by British soldiers... is virtually non-existant sport outside the US. The only international North American based sports are ice hockey and basketball, but neither of them can be compared to popularity of soccer, which is played everywhere (Africa, Asia, India, etc.)

World Cup is the biggest sport event in the world, hands down... and it's viewed by BILLIONS of people. The soccer stars are truly world famous... and I doubt an average European/Asian/African could name even ONE American football/baseball player by name. With the exception of Japan, where they play baseball (I think).

Funny thing... despite being played all around the world, there has never been a World Cup final without one of these four countries:

Italy

Argentina

Brazil

Germany

The "big four" have won multiple championships and besides them, only France and England once (and Uruguay in the 30'S) have managed to win the World Cup. Only 7 countries total!!!

So much great info and history here.. thank you guy's you've given me much more insight into the "Culture" of the game.. which in History is more than a "game".. in some parts of the world .. it's a "way of life" and source of pride for regions and families.. so it is in America.. like with the Pittsburg area.. working class steel mills .... Green Bay .. Wisconsin ... The State of Texas.. sheesh,.. football is a religion .. "Friday Night Lights"

Religious sporting events.. that goes back centuries I would think into wars with different countries...

I did not grow up with soccer.. only American Football.. being your favourite player in the backyard game as a kid ....

American Football has developed into a coaching game.. like with Pittsburgs confusing roaming defense last year.. giving offensive coordinators .. nithgmares.. and speed and more speed.. 4.3 second 40's .. Peyton Manning threading the needlw with his "rope" passes.. I love American football like you all love your National sport.

It matters not (to me) who started what.. 1892 marks the start of football in America.. and all the games will be started with America's "theme, Patriotism".. the 4th of July was when America was born.. ergo it is what we base everything on.. being only a couple hundred years old.. and formed by immigrants.. this is our heritage ....

Notre Dames .. "touchdown Jesus".. so cool .... yes, college sports has become corporate America.. Millions made on the BCS.. sadly why we will never see a true playoff..

Soccer to me is like the NBA.. or MLB.... when the final playoffs happen I am keenly interested.. but for some around the World it is more.. and should be if you have grown up with it from generation to generation .. it is a source of Pride and Family.,... what more could there be when that much Passion is poured into a love of ones efforts..

Thank you all again.. this was really a joy and education to read...!!!!

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

Hey there, do you know who Maradona is?

There's even a Religion after him... this Argentinians are special people... :)

Chile won last time, which never happens, but it hits them bad as there are limit and political stuff always around. That last Chilean victory made them hire Maradona himself as coach of the national team, and he got instantly forgiven after being defeated by Bolivia, 6-1.

He's considered the best player ever along with brazilian Pel

Yeah cause they aren't all public school boys who stick their heads up each others backsides disguised as a scrum?!? or pretend they are big time gangsters and can get loads of coke for you anytime they want too? Great role model for a kid!

Shut up you egg chasin fool!

Sixx :bones:

WTF does a sweaty sock know about football anyway, your never in any European or World cups because of the amature game you play,the grounds are always empty because 25 million chose not to live there and as far as rugby go's your just a bit better than Italy for christ sake.

Hey there, do you know who Maradona is?

There's even a Religion after him... this Argentinians are special people... :)

Chile won last time, which never happens, but it hits them bad as there are limit and political stuff always around. That last Chilean victory made them hire Maradona himself as coach of the national team, and he got instantly forgiven after being defeated by Bolivia, 6-1.

He's considered the best player ever along with brazilian Pel

@baglc1 if you are looking for a fight I will give you one........cool it. <_<

@By-Tor, easy on those Billions man theres only 6 Billion people in the world and half are women. :D

Maybe I'm biased ...ok I know I'm biased...but I still believe AFL to be the best game of footy in the world, it's just everyone outside of Oz still needs to be educated. :)

Ken

@baglc1 if you are looking for a fight I will give you one........cool it. <_<

@By-Tor, easy on those Billions man theres only 6 Billion people in the world and half are women. :D

Maybe I'm biased ...ok I know I'm biased...but I still believe AFL to be the best game of footy in the world, it's just everyone outside of Oz still needs to be educated. :)

Ken

QUOTE:

"Media buying and planning firm Initiative released the final and definitive World Cup viewing figures recently.

Here are the stats:

284 million people watched the final

5.9 billion total viewers for the whole tournament

10% more total viewers than 2002

Average of 93 million viewers per match

41% of viewers were female"

http://www.bloginitiative.com/

http://www.worldcupblog.org/world-cup-2006...ng-figures.html

I still believe AFL to be the best game of footy in the world, it's just everyone outside of Oz still needs to be educated. :)

I'm sure the Brits feel the same way about cricket. :D

I'm sure the Brits feel the same way about cricket. :D

Just the "Point" ..... it's what we are socialized with .. America being born out of Independence has bred it's own game of football, baseball, basketball, .. and it is what we have grown up playing and loving.. as the rest of the World enjoys futbol .. (the original version if you feel the need to call it that) .. or cricket .. or lacrosse .. or highli (sic) ..

Especially in these economic times ... it is a great way to "hope" .. rally... and experience victory.. or learn through defeat...

either way you look at it ... it all comes down to "Passion" ... dedication ... determination .. and the Desire to win.. this seems to be the same in any language or culture,.. no language barriers here... B)

L

Yeah, it's just sports.

Funny thing about soccer is that it's very "peaceful" game... a gentleman's game... no fights, apparent cheapshots are very rare, etc. but the spectators can be very violent. There are football riots all over the world.

Then compare it to hockey (my favorite team sports). Lots of fights and aggression in the rink but the fans are (generally) very peaceful and don't take the sport THAT seriously.

I love hockey and I don't understand why americans don't appreciate their most international sports league (and easily one of the top five professional sports leagues in the world, NHL) more. It's an amazing league, and many NHL players are international stars... even superstars in Northern & Eastern Europe (unlike baseball and american football players who are only your "local heroes").

But then again it's not a popularity contest... it probably has a lot to do with whatever you grew up with. I actually find American football very fascinating game... baseball too. I simply couldn't watch those sports anywhere before Internet came... they get ZERO recognition in Europe.