When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tattoos and Timepieces

Clerek

So I got a comment the other day on my new super avenger (rep) and the comment was to the effect of "wow that's a nice watch! Oh but you also have a tattoo covring you arm!" Totally not that general, but the comment was to that effect. That in turn got me thinking...

How many of you have tattoos on your arms (like me) and what do people notice more, your tattoos or your beautiful watch?

Also post an pics you have of the artwork on your canvas of a body!

Stories are welcome too!

-Ricardo

Have quite a lot of ink and sometimes get remarks from people some good, some not so good.

More often get remarks about whatever watch I'm wearing at the time.

Congrats on your 5000th post lanikai ;)

sheesh Wayward.. I seriously didn't realize what it was after 2000 .. ^_^ .. Thank You !!

Tat's can have different effects on different peeps...

alot of my tats were done years ago by friends in a World Wide MC ...

I have always been one to only do my tats for special occasions and by people close to me..

more often than not it's viewed as negative.. or gang related.. so I guess deciding years ago not to do the neck was a good idea..

some of the most brilliant tats I've come across were the ones done in Federal Institutions..

It looks like I'm going to be able to get my bodysuit done at cost, by allowing a tattoo artist in training to use my skin as practice, so I'll hopefully end up with a traditional Japanese bodysuit, with 3/4 length sleeves, so no ink to conflict with any wrist wear B)

It looks like I'm going to be able to get my bodysuit done at cost, by allowing a tattoo artist in training to use my skin as practice, so I'll hopefully end up with a traditional Japanese bodysuit, with 3/4 length sleeves, so no ink to conflict with any wrist wear B)

Congrats TJ !!

I need to get the name of the book... it is one of Japans renowned artist.. the book itself is different..

he did tats on the older citizens for free.. the catch was.. they had to "will" their skin to him when they passed..

he would then remove the whole body suit (skin) cure it and stretch it over a opaque mannequin .. the pics are extreme !!

B)

Well I guess I did forget to post pics of my own tattoos! Here ya go...the background story goes like this:

It is a depiction of Israphel, who is the angel of music. At the end of days, he is supposed to stand on the highest hill in Bethlehem and play his trumpt (or sing in some translations) and that would be so great that the world would be utterly destroyed. So this is the destruction of of the world by this Angel of Music!

-Ricardo

Pics

DSCF1114.jpg

DSCF1115.jpg

DSCF1116.jpg

Full1.jpg

Full2.png

Full3.jpg

Cool tatts and theme.

I have only two tatts (one on each shoulder) so basically unless I go swimming no one even knows I have them.

I always loved tatt's, hence the two I have, but my early years as a professional instrumentalist meant that I had to have them concealed.

Ken

Congrats TJ !!

I need to get the name of the book... it is one of Japans renowned artist.. the book itself is different..

he did tats on the older citizens for free.. the catch was.. they had to "will" their skin to him when they passed..

he would then remove the whole body suit (skin) cure it and stretch it over a opaque mannequin .. the pics are extreme !!

B)

I forget the artist's name, but I think I've seen the works you mean :) I would really like some traditional Hawai'ian ink, but it just doesn't really blend with the Japanese work I've got planned... I should be getting some ink the weekend after next, and traded my friend a stool, in exchange for the first piece in the suit, which will be the Arabic word meaning 'to strive/to overcome' (the challenge to be a better person), which, although obviously not Japanese, will still blend with the rest of the sleeve :) I'll be sure to post a picture when it's done :)

I would never ever let some noob on my arms, bro go get some more

That's fantastic work, bro, have you anymore planned?

Yeah I do but first I need to finish this arm. I have only one more session (which is just blending the greys and blues into the reds and yellows). I really want to do something on my other arm. I was thinking of doing some Mayan or Aztec theme, but I guess we'll see!

-Ricardo

Yeah I do but first I need to finish this arm. I have only one more session (which is just blending the greys and blues into the reds and yellows). I really want to do something on my other arm. I was thinking of doing some Mayan or Aztec theme, but I guess we'll see!

-Ricardo

Awesome, I really like the sound of your plans for the other sleeve :good: Will it wind up as part of a bodysuit, or just sleeves?

I forget the artist's name, but I think I've seen the works you mean :) I would really like some traditional Hawai'ian ink, but it just doesn't really blend with the Japanese work I've got planned... I should be getting some ink the weekend after next, and traded my friend a stool, in exchange for the first piece in the suit, which will be the Arabic word meaning 'to strive/to overcome' (the challenge to be a better person), which, although obviously not Japanese, will still blend with the rest of the sleeve :) I'll be sure to post a picture when it's done :)

Wow okay so get this:

I went to Hawaii a couple years ago for spring break, and I had it stuck in my head that I was going to get a traditional Hawaiian tattoo (you know tapping and all :black_eye: ). When I got there I went straight to a tattoo parlor, and when I walked in there were about 7 HUGE Hawaiian people there. They were friendly enough, and asked to see my tattoo's. Then they asked how they could help me and I said I wanted to get a tattoo. They showed me their books and I said "no I want something more traditional hawaiian, I want to get some tapping." I am not exagerating when I say that all 7 of these huge guys stood up and started walking towards me. They kicked me out, because I asked for a traditional tattoo... Maybe it was because it is sacred to them, or maybe because I wasn't Hawaiian, but still it was the scariest moment of my life...

Kind of funny now that I look back on it!

-Ricardo

Most likely a whole shirt when I'm finished. Nothing on my neck or hands. If I need to cover them up for anything then I will be able to!

-Ricardo

Sounds like an awesome plan, and I know what you mean about nothing on the neck or hands. I do have some ink on my neck, but, it was carefully measured so as soon as I button a shirt collar, it's gone, with no 'peeking' to it :) Same with the glyphs on the insides of my wrists. They're about an inch back from the heel of my palm, so cuffs always cover them (unles I was to really stretch my arm :lol: ) when I get the Japanese sleeves done, they'll only be 3/4 length (the traditional length) so even then, folding my cuffs back (which I do a lot :D ) won't uncover the ink :good:

That's a pretty extreme reaction to get, bro, I wouldn't've thought it would have been offensive to get traditional work done... Maybe Lani can shed some light on that...

Sounds like an awesome plan, and I know what you mean about nothing on the neck or hands. I do have some ink on my neck, but, it was carefully measured so as soon as I button a shirt collar, it's gone, with no 'peeking' to it :) Same with the glyphs on the insides of my wrists. They're about an inch back from the heel of my palm, so cuffs always cover them (unles I was to really stretch my arm :lol: ) when I get the Japanese sleeves done, they'll only be 3/4 length (the traditional length) so even then, folding my cuffs back (which I do a lot :D ) won't uncover the ink :good:

That's a pretty extreme reaction to get, bro, I wouldn't've thought it would have been offensive to get traditional work done... Maybe Lani can shed some light on that...

It's illegal in some States in the US for the artist to tattoo anything on the neck or hand .. not really enforced.. most of the neck tats ... you see coming out of the Federal systems ...

You won't be allowed in some facilities in Japan if you are tattooed .. the Gumi's use traditional tattoo's from different era's in Japans history for their respective Clan's

I would keep tats off the exposed portion of the neck.. it is all "Gang" oriented .. the day will come in the business world when you will be glad you opted not to.. looks so cool though :D

L

It's illegal in some States in the US for the artist to tattoo anything on the neck or hand .. not really enforced.. most of the neck tats ... you see coming out of the Federal systems ...

You won't be allowed in some facilities in Japan if you are tattooed .. the Gumi's use traditional tattoo's from different era's in Japans history for their respective Clan's

I would keep tats off the exposed portion of the neck.. it is all "Gang" oriented .. the day will come in the business world when you will be glad you opted not to.. looks so cool though :D

L

Thanks, bro, I've always been curious as to your sleeve, as there's often 'bits' showing in your wristies, but I don't recall ever seeing the full arm :D I've never regretted getting the ink, although when we were trying to find a place to stay in Japan, I was conscious that I had to ask if it was okay to stay because of having tattoos (everywhere I tried was okay with it, but I'm still going to make sure everything stays covered, just out of respect for the culture :) I figured all the time I keep it coverable if needbe, I couldn't really go wrong business-wise. I didn't realize that some states made it illegal to tattoo those areas. I knew that there were a few states which outlawed tattooing at all, but not that there was a partial ban. Something else I'd heard from friends in the states, was that having a tattoo on the face or hands, is one surefire way of getting signed onto disability, as according to 'The Man', it makes the person 'unemployable' :rolleyes::huh::D Maybe that's why they made it illegal, so as to prevent giving people the easy option of an easy ride :D

some of the most brilliant tats I've come across were the ones done in Federal Institutions..

Thats where my cousin learned to do tatto's. They make their own guns using a tape deck motor, the spring out of a lighter for the needle, its amazing when you think about it. His work is better than some of the guys I have seen in the shops here that want to charge an arm and a leg for it.