When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! The Rotor Fell Off My New Eta-explorer Ii..

chrgod

Two hours ago, I picked up two watches at the postoffice; A white-faced Navitimer for myself and a black Explorer II for a friend.

I opened the caseback just to make sure it was ETA. everything looked good.. BUT, when I turned the watch upside down, the rotor fell straight out! :o

I have never fiddeled much with movements, but as I understand the rotor should be rather straightforward to remove and attach. I tried to push it gently onto the stem/bearing, but it seems like the hole in the rotor is too small to fit over the bearing assembly..

Should I remove the tiny screw in the centre, put the rotor on and fasten it with the screw? I looked on rbj's guide to watch servicing... but it does not go into detail about this.

Personally, I suspect that the movement has been badly put together after the modification performed to the ETA2836 to get the 24-hour function...

What should I do?

99933-26470.jpg

99933-26471.jpg

99933-26472.jpg

All help is greatly appreciated! :)

Edited by chrgod

Thanks Ubi,

I dont have any spareparts, so I have to use the old one.

I will give a try to unscrew the bearing (centre screw), remove it, put the rotor back on and reinstall. Hopefully without messing anything up..

I am glad I bought Nariikas watch tool set. The tweezers, loupe and screwdrivers come in handy...

Everything turned out well! :)

I removed the bearing assembly, and pressed the rotor back onto it. With the bearing assembly removed from the movement, I dared to use a bit more force to press the rotor back on. It was an easy fix as you said.

A real man fixes such things himself, and do not wein and send Paypal complains! :D

• 3 years later...

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you should take it to a jeweler's or watch repair. Pressing the rotor back on may take a jeweler's press.

I can also check my box of spares when I get home. I might have a spare rotor assembly buried soemwhere...

First, thank you to T/Admin for fixing the search feature, which led me to this post. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I had the exact same thing happen to me today on my ETA powered 5513.

I am going to attempt to repress the bearing to the rotor using my crystal/jewelers press. Any recommendations/thoughts if any Loctite or adhesive between the weight and the race should be used?

+1 - no loctite near the movement. Not a good combo at all. It should press fit in fine. A crystal press will probably work nicely, just be careful not to bend the rotor piece. You might want to push the bearing down in towards the backside of the rotor if you are going to use a press.