When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

submariner LV - not happy with it...

happy_alexx

Hello everyone!

This is my first topic here even though i've been with you guys for a while.

Here's the thing.

Just a few days ago I received my new rolex submariner LV. I purchased it from one of the dealers who has a link on his web site here. Anyway - i'm not happy with my new one at all. I understand that it is some kind of a lottery to buy a rep but i had a wrong assumption that nowdays reps do not have problems like this. and the problem is - crooked hour hand with a scratch on it. I'm not in a position of blaming the dealer - the watch was wrapped so nice that it was impossible to see the hand throu all this plastic.

So. here are the questions.

1. Will i have any problems if i but a swt of hands and just bring them and the watch to a watch smith? Do they fix reps?

2. Any of the reputable dealers who sells reps provide such service as quality control and fixing small things before sending a watch to a customer. I understand it would cost some extra money but i think it worth a few extra bucks.

Thanx!

alex

post-16289-1243047727_thumb.jpg

before you do anything , contact your dealer , explain the issues .. I always try to keep things between the party I purchased the item from.

send a pic with your message. and then go from there.

most dealers will work with you.

do not take it to an AD !

For future reference check with members in your area and see if there are any 'rep friendly" watchsmiths.. not all watchsmiths are.

Good Luck in resolving the issue..

it happens to all of us .. more often than not the dealer will make things right.. :)

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

Looking at your picture, I fail to see anything wrong. You may need a better picture to send to your dealer. I don't know where you are, but my local Sears watch repair is rep-friendly and has done work on my Rolex, Breitling and Omega reps.

Same here, the hour hand looks fine in the pic, do you mean the minute hand?

Ken

No. it's an hour hand. Unfortunately i have quite low resolution camera, just 3.2 megapics and that pic was the best i could get from it.

Look at the bottom part of the hour hand where the "mercedes" star is, you see a white spot? Its where the hand is crooked and the white spot is a spot where there's no metal color - its a lume.

Edited by happy_alexx

No. it's an hour hand. Unfortunately i have quite low resolution camera, just 3.2 megapics and that pic was the best i could get from it.

Look at the bottom part of the hour hand where the "mercedes" star is, you see a white spot? Its where the hand is crooked and the white spot is a spot where there's no metal color - its a lume.

To be totally honest with you.. I had to work very hard to spot what your referring to as "crooked".. the lume application may be off by a hair.... and I am having a really hard time locating the "spot" of misplaced lume material..

I dunno if this can be seen with the naked eye... but if you are looking through a magnifier or loupe.. don't expect to see the same quality as you would expect from a genuine of the same brand.

truth be told .. these little flaws will be found ...

Dunno what to tell you .. I hope your not offended, but are you sure it sticks out to the naked eye ??

To be totally honest with you.. I had to work very hard to spot what your referring to as "crooked".. the lume application may be off by a hair.... and I am having a really hard time locating the "spot" of misplaced lume material..

I dunno if this can be seen with the naked eye... but if you are looking through a magnifier or loupe.. don't expect to see the same quality as you would expect from a genuine of the same brand.

truth be told .. these little flaws will be found ...

Dunno what to tell you .. I hope your not offended, but are you sure it sticks out to the naked eye ??

well, it's not my first rep - i have quite a few and some of them are just awesome. the rolex one is the latest and i for some reasons expected some improvements since i bought the previous one. Anyway, i have an assets to compare with and lemmy tel you - this LV version is not the best. Also, a can not unscrew two pins - they are backed links - so, the watch is wobbling on my wrist like a rattle. Also, correct me if i'm wrong - i think the crown should be flat on this model and it's kinda spherical (rounded).

bth, does anyone know rep friendly watch smith in Calgary area?

It really is hard to see what the probelm is with the hour hand. If it is just lume spot then it can be easily removed. Scratches on hands is normal, this has always benn one of the weakest part of reps. Installing hands without causing scratches on them requires very high quality Derin/Teflon tweezers. Once scratched, it is done unless you put on a new hand.

So far, I have not received a single rep that has non-scratched hands. This really is shame as no matter how many mods you do, how many gen. parts you out on, a set of scratched hands just simply get your watch called out as a rep straight away. Vintages is another story.