When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crazy power reserve problem with my new Ebel Discovery

I've had great luck with A7750 movements so far, until now. I purchased a Ebel Discovery 7750 recently and received it on Fri 22nd May. I wore it on that day, the next day (yesterday) I glanced at my wrist and noted that the time read 4:30, when in actual fact the time was 6:30 PM. I worried that the movement is losing a pretty large amount of time, either from being magnetized or other issues.

It occurred to me that it might be a power reserve issue; that the watch might have stopped whilst I was sleeping the night before. So I carried on wearing it yesterday and took it off at 4:30 am this morning and put it inside the watchbox. I woke up a couple of hours ago and went to check if it was still ticking, unfortunately it stopped at around 6:30 am. So from 2 whole days of wearing this watch only 2 hours of power reserve was the result.

I don't want to get the watch serviced yet as I don't know if it will be a permanent keeper, and also with money issues recently I can't really afford to. Does it sound like an easy fix for a watchmaker, or am I left with the two options of either getting it serviced or purchasing a new movement? I appreciate any responses.

Try fully winding the watch and leaving it for 36 hours, if it's still running the reserve isn't the problem.

If it is still running it might be somethng simply like a sticky rotor, which can be solved by a little grease on the bearings usually.

An update. I've just tried to manually wind the watch, the rotor spins as I turn the crown. Exact same symptoms as described by Francisco in his tutorial here:

Repairing when you manually wind and the rotor spins

Unfortunate that this problem has occured in a brand new watch, but it goes to show that while the watch may be new, the movements may not be. The required skill to perform this fix is way beyond my capability to fix. Is this an issue that needs to be resolved immediately, i.e. if left alone would cause major movement problems in the future?

An update. I've just tried to manually wind the watch, the rotor spins as I turn the crown. Exact same symptoms as described by Francisco in his tutorial here:

Repairing when you manually wind and the rotor spins

Unfortunate that this problem has occured in a brand new watch, but it goes to show that while the watch may be new, the movements may not be. The required skill to perform this fix is way beyond my capability to fix. Is this an issue that needs to be resolved immediately, i.e. if left alone would cause major movement problems in the future?

This is not causing the low PR.

This is not causing the low PR.

According to Francisco, low PR is a symptom of this issue:

The majority of times the cause of this problems is the “revising wheel”. This wheel, as show later, is a double gear. Some times these gears are gummed. The solution is, of course, cleaning the wheel. Other times cleaning is not enough to solve the problem and the reversing wheel has to be replaced. Movements with this problem tend to show low power reserve and may be not reliable.

Get a replacement from your dealer. Looks like it's simply a bad one.

I am kinda hesitant to return it :lol: because the watch itself is virtually perfect; no dust/speck at all on the dial or crystal, hands and markers are completely free of prints and the bezel insert is perfectly aligned!

I'm thinking if I return it I could end up with one that isn't as clean :D But I'll shoot the dealer an email and see what we can work out.

The watch is very nice, one of the first in quite a long time I've really enjoyed wearing. Someone in Ebel is doing something right :)

I have thought about getting it serviced, but first I want to make sure its a watch that will be a definite keeper. I usually buy watches, and then "test" them out, could be a few days, weeks or months. Once I've got a feel for the watch, I either sell it if I feel its not for me, or I keep it.

I want to give this one a little more time, but its well on its way to being a keeper :) I am really liking it so far. This is why I wanted to know if this problem with the movement is really major, i.e. is there a risk that the movement can die any day if I continue to wear the watch without resolving the issue asap.

I have thought about getting it serviced, but first I want to make sure its a watch that will be a definite keeper. I usually buy watches, and then "test" them out, could be a few days, weeks or months. Once I've got a feel for the watch, I either sell it if I feel its not for me, or I keep it.

I want to give this one a little more time, but its well on its way to being a keeper :) I am really liking it so far. This is why I wanted to know if this problem with the movement is really major, i.e. is there a risk that the movement can die any day if I continue to wear the watch without resolving the issue asap.

Not sure I understand the logic here.

Assuming you decide you don't like it and want to sell it, your asking price on the sale is going to have to be at least the cost of a service lower than a working watch would be for anyone to buy it. So either way you are going to ultimately 'pay' for the service.

I would get the issue resolved one way or the other and then enjoy! I have one of these myself and she's a definite keeper .... :)