When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Winders.....what are you using?

cableguy

I know there are those of you who are against using them, but those of you who do, what watch winder (brand, ebay, acetimer etc) are you using?

Pics are appreciated as well as prices. :)

I think I want a new piano black at least 6 watch winder. I currently have a quad which holds my watches but my woman's datejust doesnt have a space for it. Shes not happy that she has to reset it if she doesnt wear it for a day or so. :p

Edited by cableguy

Ebay Item number: 250429509384

I bought one during their auction for abt USD350.00 in Dec08

Piano finish. Solid Build. Forewarning though, despite it saying that its based in the UK. Winders are very likely China/HK made. No complaints though.... so far.

Cheers

siesta181

I love my AceTimer 8+12, however, being an electronics guy I felt the need to hack/mod it.

AceTime Pro's

Bang for the buck

Quite (4 pods spinning 10' away from bed does not disturb)

Great with "gens", ETA 28xx, Seiko, Miyota, Vostok

AceTime Con's

Fuzzy Logic = no logic

Does not work well with A7750, Seagull, 50% of 21J's, or "one way" automatic movements

No independent on/off per pod on the big guys like my 8+12.

No manual override for CCW or CW

The problem with the one way auto movements is the fuzzy logic is simply-- on MAX 1000 TPD, 500 CW then 500 CCW

From my experience the A7750 needs 650 TPD CW. See the issue? All the winder does with my A7750 and Segull and some 21J's is extend their reserve from ~36 hours to ~96 hours/1 week.

I hacked mine to include a CW/CCW/Fuzzy switch and separate power switch for each pod. Works with anything now. ;)

Highly recommended, but just be aware if you are A7750 heavy.

Does using a watch winder prolong the life of an automatic watch movement, i.e. by not needing to re-start the mechanics each time it runs out of power.

a similar analogy would be driving your car continuosly on the motorway for a long journey is better than multiple start and stop short trips in the city.

comments?

I too followed freddy's lead with the AceTimer. It was his recommendation and some research on my own that sealed my decision as to which winder to purchase.

I love it.

Must echo RoninQ's opinion though about the 7750's.

Try 380127942611 on eBay (EasySource)

Basically they're the same as the SwissTGallery winders... just CHEAPER.

8+12 is $120 and the 4+6 is like $70 versus SwissT's 8+12's for $270-$300 or 4+6 for about $170...