When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona 6263 question

bluebite

After seeing Ubiquitous post, I'm trying to decide whether I build myself a 6263 from scratch or buy one from the forum members.

My first successful attempt was a 1680 pictured here, ND case, gen 1570, dial and hands.

168013.jpg

I'm irresistibly attracted into the realms of the franken 6263. Any ideas as to what is the best case/movement/dial combination?

I've been searching the forum for days now and just can't make up my mind.

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards, bluebite

And what if I'm poor and I want to build a budget 6263?

Can I still find the EE6263?

The other 6263 rep with seagull movement is cheap but crap...

I have a spare old triplock sitting in my bin....and the only watch I would like to rep now is the Daytona...

Any advice? :D

mrandazzo-

You can always try an old DW V72 case! Shouldn't be anywhere near as expensive as Phong's, though it might require some massaging to get the movement to fit right. Or, if you're on a budget, go for a DW with Mystery Movement :) You can always swap in a nice V23 movement and have a Swiss, manual wind 6263/5 for quite a bit less than a full V72 build (only draw back is that the V23 is bi-compax with a dummy hour counter; V72 is of course full tri-compax...).

V23 based 6265:

204_0466.jpg

As far as I am aware, the EE's were a pretty limited production; the only way to procure these days is to buy from someone who might have one in their collection :)

If you're interested in building a 6263/5, I'd suggest going with a Phong case and pair it with a nice V72 movement. Depending how far you want to take it, you can add a gen dial/hands, etc.

Should turn out nicely with the right ingredients!

Thanks Ubiquitous.

How far? I want the best but a Phong case alone is $1650+ Isn't there an alternative for a V72 compatible case?

Kind regards, bluebite

bluebite- DW is another option as he makes a V72 case as well. Less expensive, but a little less refined. Should still get the job done and there are several members who have built gorgeous 6263/5's using this case! Only drawback is that sometimes it take a little more work to get things to fit right...

bluebite- DW is another option as he makes a V72 case as well. Less expensive, but a little less refined. Should still get the job done and there are several members who have built gorgeous 6263/5's using this case! Only drawback is that sometimes it take a little more work to get things to fit right...

I built a val 72 daytona with a DW case. The movement dropped right in. Finding a set of chrono hands that fit correctly ... now that was another story. You should be able to find a case in the $300 range. Then you need to source a dial, correct crystal, movement (which will most likely need to be serviced), gen crown/tube and if you would like, a better pair of pushers from Ofrei or Cousins. This a good post on the subject. Expect to spend 2 grand or more by the time all is said and done :)

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Aftermarket-Dayt...aytona%2Cpusher

Check with DW to see if he has any more asymmetrical -pushered A7750-powered 6263s

soupsandwich0031.jpg

This 1 has been genetically modified, but the stock (all rep/aftermarket) version is what I consider to be the Best Buy in Daytona reps.

I agree with Freddy. I just bought the 7750 version. If you can get one that has been serviced and has had the reducing and reversing wheels removed (so the winding feels like manual movement), you are getting almost as nice a watch for a third or less of the money you will spend on the val 72 version. You can add a few mods, like gen crystal and crown/tube and you are set :)

The one Spin offers would be similar to the one that Freddy333 posted. The sub dial spacing is a little off. The case is good but I think the rehault might be a little shallower on the 7750 version. Not that it really matters very few people have seen a gen 6263. I think the 7750 dials are good but not quite as good as the V72 dials. Other weak areas would be the crown, pushers, crystal, and the band. All in all a good value for the money. The biggest flaw would be the sub dial spacing. Heck I had to look at a side by side picture that Freddy333 posted to see the difference. I had just seen so few 6263 watches.

Guys what do you think about Spinmaster DW 6263 with 7750 movement+gen crown/tube/tropic? Which flaws does it have??

Thank you!

The 3 lines of text actually vary on the gens. On dials that lack the DAYTONA above the hour totalizer, the 3 lines are lower. On dials that have the DAYTONA, the lines are slightly higher (similar to my watch)

RX6263DAYTONSTEEL-01.jpg

However, like all reps, the DW does contain some minor inaccuracies. That said, the most obvious tell on other Daytona reps is NOT an issue here - the pushers are (correctly) asymmetrical. And, as others have correctly pointed out, since relatively few people know what these gens (with all of their variations & permutations) look like, I would not worry about this watch's remaining issues. At least, I never do.