When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Classic Rock Bands Thread

hambone

Greetings,

I saw Zeppelin in Tampa in '77 for three songs before the heavens opened up and a riot ensued.

They flew into the stadium in a helicopter, started 20 minutes early (no opening act), and played Celebration Day, The Song Remains The Same, and Nobody's Fault But Mine.

Page wore mirror sunglasses and lit up the stage with his sunburst Gibson and cherry red doubleneck guitars before the mayhem ensued.

I left the stadium unscathed with my friend, hailed a cab and got caught up in one massive traffic jam in the city.

Our taxi broke down and the couple sharing the ride with us lit up a fattie before we finally made it back to the hotel.

Shortest and best concert I ever saw and what a night to remember.

JP2_zps4985bc02.jpg

http://limestonelounge.yuku.com/topic/931

Edited by Eschenpod

What a night!

I worked stadium security for awhile and got to see some big name bands up close. For the most part they were just LOUD. Some left your mouth hanging open. Luckily I never got to experience a riot!

Arrrrggggghhhhhhh there's 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

If I had to perform that song more than one time I'd rather pull my fingernails out with pliers.

Nice guitar though!

When Hagar replaced DLR I thought they had sold their souls to cheesy shit. But it's funny... I can't listen to those old DLR albums anymore and prefer the Hagar era now. Brian Howe's Bad Company (in the 1990's) represented this era even better though.

Maybe I'm getting old. :D

Arrrrggggghhhhhhh there's 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. If I had to perform that song more than one time I'd rather pull my fingernails out with pliers.Nice guitar though!

If its any consolation ....

Ebbets Field, Denver Colo, Feb 26, 1975,

He told me to shut up, I threw a drink on him, I was not even asked to leave the club... and the crowd roared with laughter :) He tried another song and was finally boo'd off the stage.

That guy was full of himself and an ass. I've never been heckled by a performer before.

When Journey was still an awesome rock band. Times before Raised on Radio and transformation to a skilled boy band.

Holy shit this is a good song and a splendid vocal perfomance by Steve Perry.

• 5 months later...

By Tor... I have been under the weather and didn't realize this thread had grown. Thanks for changing the title.

I cant recall what I posted it as.

Alvin Lee of Ten Years After passed away recently and he was one of the world's fastest Kick A guitarist eve,

particularly the great rock anthem "Going Home" What a smoking hot performance he gives. The version from

TYA's "Back to Tennessee", is a far better quality version than the famous Woodstock recording, although,

He surely blew out his Marshall amps in that performance.

I wish I had seen Led Zepplin. Had the pleasure of meeting Robert Plant last year here in Vegas. He looked great and was with a blond super model.

I don't recall if I ever mentioned that in 1976, Paul and Linda McCartney were vacationing in a cliff house at Koko Head Honolulu when My two High School buds were smoking doobs at a place called Portlock Point.

They were walking up from the sea, and we all greeted each other, (Me with wide eyed amazement),

They were in residence there for a whole month, and a few days later, when Paul was swimming, I helped

him out of the water, as there was a technique to ride the swells and turn around so you landed on your butt

on the lowest part of the cliff. Across the street from My house , just down the block, lived Ric Marlowe, who wrote "A Taste of Honey", one of the most recorded songs in history. As this song was on "Meet The Beatles"

their first album, I asked Paul if he would like to meet him. Indeed he did and we strolled down to Ric's house,

and had a lovely visit. That's probably the one of the great memories of brushes with greatest  rock stars.

post-3251-0-06850600-1391760984_thumb.jp

What a great story!

Tonight I'm loading up my music player with Joe Bonamassa, Mike Bloomfield, Albert King, SRV and Buddy Guy.  I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow and need musical sustenance to keep me going.

My best buddy growing up went to school at Cornell and he went to a Stones concert there one weekend.  He said it was an off night and they weren't playing so well... after awhile the audience kinda turned against them and were hooting it up.  So Jagger stepped up to the mic and said "If anyone in the house thinks they can do better, come up here". 

Pretty soon the crowd parted and a guy in jeans and a denim coat walked up, and jumped up on the stage.  He grabbed the mic, and leaned in to say "Hi, my name is Eric Clapton."

Jagger did the world's biggest facepalm, and handed him a guitar.  Clapton sat in for the rest of the show and the audience loved it!