When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super Ultimate Fully Modded Franken Pam088

kbiz

Here for your viewing is my newest project completed… I love the GMTs as I have 4 pam GMTs :)

Equipment List:

Ultimate Case re-milled for perfect fitment with CG

Ultimate Crystal (Newest Ultimate 088 only... U104 is not as good)

Gen Dial

Gen Hands

Cartel latest date wheel (perfect full fat font) moded for sunken date wheel fix

Little Hero CG reshaped, ground, polished and pin fixed

Gen SS spring loaded crown (thick)

Custom crown tube

And now on to the pics :)

Custom crown tube... this allowed me to set the crown exactly the distance I wanted it from the case... also shown is the OEM spring loaded crown...

dsc00333x.jpg

Milled the case so the LH CG sits perfectly...

dsc00344x.jpg

dsc00357j.jpg

dsc00359h.jpg

This is the Sunken Date window fix... the standard date wheel is drilled out to reduce weight... modified the ultimate date wheel, which is better than my lello dw, and sandwiched that on top.

dsc00361e.jpg

dsc00362ckl.jpg

Here's the spacer that the dial sits on... it's there because of the bridge work for the GMT modification... but it was too tall and only made the sunken date issue worse... I lapped it down until there wasn't much gap at all... just enough for the DW to move around...

dsc00366b.jpg

Here's the finished product...

dsc00373nmy.jpg

dsc00377krk.jpg

dsc00380i.jpg

dsc00385k.jpg

dsc00386t.jpg

dsc00388i.jpg

dsc00403b.jpg

dsc00404w.jpg

Gen for comparison...

genw.jpg

• Like 1

God please I am begging you to do the CG, Crown and tube mod on my Vac Lumed 088. Ever since I saw Rolli's 229 project earlier this month where he fitted the new tube and finished V CG. I have been crying on the inside when I look at my beautiful (but now sadly lacking) Ultimate 088. Please tell me you would offer to do this mod!!

Thanks to everyone for your kind words... And thanks to RWG for sharing years of knowledge from all the great modders...

I've gotten a few requests... So I'll throw this out there... if anyone has a cartel 089 dial I'll trade you some services... I've been having a hard time sourcing one. Mine has the missing tick at the 9...

Also I've gotten a lot of questions about some of the procedures...

I've been asked about the spacer ring on the movement... all the movements have them... it dictates the height of the dial from the movement...

The spacer rings usually are already on the movement... it's usually held down by 3 little screws... I used the one that came with the movement... it was too tall so I "Lapped" it down... Lapping is super easy if you haven't done it before, all you do is put a piece of say 220 grit sand paper on as flat and hard a surface as you can find... glass or granite are popular choices but a table will work too... you can tape the sand paper down if you like. Then you move the little spacer around on the flat sand paper over and over and over again in circular motions until you have removed enough metal to achieve the thickness needed... Lapping has been used for centuries to reduce thickness and maintain flatness... very effective!

As for the glue... I used a slow cure epoxy for the date wheel mod. Look for the two part epoxy that takes the longest to dry. That gives you enough time to run the date wheel through all the days several revolutions to adjust for clearance and most importantly... for date window alignment!! You have to run the date wheel through several times with the dial on to make sure the alignment is perfect.

Hope this inspires some people to take matters into their own hands