When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do you do if someone compliments you on your watch?

Chronus

I went to the canteen to get lunch today and the lady serving the food said she liked my watch (AP RB2). My first feeling was to go off talking about APs etc but I stopped myself... I don't want to be a watch bore in public! Anyway, what are other people's reactions?

If someone compliments me on my watch I usually reply with the secret codeword 'Jetmid' and go for the double secret RWG handshake. If they look puzzled as a result of my actions, I usually flip them the bird and kick dirt on their shoes.

Not really.

I usually just say thanks and move on...

:)

a nice "Thank you......" would suffice!

That's what I said after a split second of wondering what to do.. and not wanting people on site to know I like nice watches ;)

If someone compliments me on my watch I usually reply with the secret codeword 'Jetmid' and go for the double secret RWG handshake. If they look puzzled as a result of my actions, I usually flip them the bird and kick dirt on their shoes.

Not really.

I usually just say thanks and move on...

:)

i will look puzzled as a result of your actions and i know the secret codeword 'Jetmid' and the double secret RWG handshake.

personally i would ask them to stop looking at me....i dont like people lookin at me it scares me and makes me wee myself. :wacko:

That's what I said after a split second of wondering what to do.. and not wanting people on site to know I like nice watches ;)

Me on the other hand proudly tell everyone I know that I love watches in General and that I collect them! Nobody had asked me yet whether I

collect Gens or Reps, so that's something I keep to myself! Although I observe that once you reach a certain status/age, people tend to accept

what you've got or own without thinking whether its a Rep or Gen. I have read somewhere that rich people in the UK wear Reps a lot for some

reason or another, and that nobody doubts them........Status!!!

Me on the other hand proudly tell everyone I know that I love watches in General and that I collect them! Nobody had asked me yet whether I

collect Gens or Reps, so that's something I keep to myself! Although I observe that once you reach a certain status/age, people tend to accept

what you've got or own without thinking whether its a Rep or Gen. I have read somewhere that rich people in the UK wear Reps a lot for some

reason or another, and that nobody doubts them........Status!!!

They didn't question rep or gen at all ! They just liked the look of it regardless of branding :tu:

"If she's totally hot I take it off and say, "Here, keep it."

Been there done that.... Was on vacation on a cruise ship....Worked pretty well and it wasnt a watch that I was very fond off...

Usually say thanks. If they show more interest, asking what it is, where I got it etc., I'll generally tell them exactly what it is. I get a kick out of seeing people's reactions to how good replicas are, certainly more of a kick than making them think I'm richer than I am. After all, I like reps because of the design and form, not because of any status it might imply.

I yell in their face "This is a Rolex and it's worth more than your house!" After that I call the cops and tell them I'm being stalked by paparazzi. Good times!

:p

Mostly I just say thank you, unless I get a sense that they are into watches. I have had some really interesting conversations that started with a comment about a watch (better than half the time I'm the one complimenting their watch)

+1 but it doesn't happen very often

I always tell them it a gen and then proceed to bring them with me into the AD while I tell all the workers in the AD that it is a REP and how good it looks for a fraction of the price!

:p

cheers normally does the job :D

I always try to downplay it as some old piece of junk, then start talking about diving and steer the conversation that way, and toward THEIR watch. I'd rather not have people notice what I'm wearing, or know much about it.