When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building or modding your 1680/Rolex Tudor Combo

Oyster

Hello everyone,

I would like to share my views on costing in regards to building or modding your MBW & Yuki's etc.

The list are in no way exhaustive covering all angles of build but the very basic/cost effective.

post-17928-1247757404_thumb.png

Cheers,

Rob

PS: Gurus, please chime in, this could be very informational to the board :D

Rolex Daytona 16520 frankenstein:

-Case: $1200.00

-El Primero 400: $850.00

-Dial: $800.00

-Hands: $200.00

-Crown/tube: $60.00

-Bezel: $500.00

-Gen bracelet $750.00

**prices circa 2006

Total: $4360.00

IMG_4132.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolex Daytona 16520 frankenstein:

-Case: $1100.00

-El Primero 3019: $1200.00

-Dial: $750.00

-Hands: $200.00

-Bezel: $500.00

**prices circa 2007

Total: $3810.00

IMG_3650.jpg

Rolex Submariner 16610 WM9 build:

-Stock WM9 16610: $500.00

-Bezel assembly: $250.00

-Insert: $100.00

-295C crystal: $200.00

-Bracelet build: $50.00

Total: $1160.00

IMG_2222.jpg

Tudor Submariner 9411 frankenstein:

-MBW case minus bracelet: $250.00

-ETA 2783: $50.00

-Dial: $550.00

-Hands: $250.00

-T-125 crystal: $100.00

-Insert: $150.00

-Case work: $100.00

-78360 links/93150 clasp/580 ends: $450.00

Total: $1960.00

IMG_2516.jpg

Well, one of the great things about building (I think) is that the expenditure, while it appears to be high, isn't as painful as it could be. It would probably have more impact to my conscience if I were dropping the amount all at once. However, since the parts are usually picked up here and there over an extended period of time, the little hits feels less significant. Granted, I'm paying the same amount over the long run, I don't even realize what expenses I've had on a project until I look back in retrospect since everything's spread out.

Now patience... That's another story :)

I do agree that drip-drip spending feels better than paying out in a big hit! lol

I guess the other thing to think about is how much you've effectively saved off buying a 'gen' from a shop, all for a little patience :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That's an excellent point. I try to keep my 'build:gen' ratio/threshold at around 50% for personal reasons. Granted, the main reason why I build is because it's just a fun hobby. But there are always economics involved with any hobby (and hobbies in general are never cheap)...

True, true! :D

But you are at least creating something out of your hobby, rather than p*ssing it up the wall, if you'll excuse my french lol

As a n00b question... Would you be able to take your Daytonas into a proper dealer and sell them as 'gen'?

With all the gen parts, would they be able to look the numbers up to see if they 'officially exist'??

Well, out of personal principle, I keep everything under the hood as unmodded. So, for the Daytonas, they are standard fare El Primero 400, still beating at 36000a/h. Rolex detunes their's to 28800a/h, and they also add new 4030 signed plates, the trademark red PTFE reversing wheels and Rolex signed rotor among other smaller changes. Since I have no intention of trying to pass these as 100% gen, I feel there's no need to mod the movements :)

IMG_4480.jpg

Ahhhh, I can't say I was even aware of that - n00bness strikes again lol :D

I guess if you sourced a gen movement then it would be a possibility, although I'd love to see the dealers face when you broke the news!

Great post Ubi! I've been looking for costings on these things :)

Hopefully someone like Freddy can put in a listing for the 6263/5 as that's something I would like to complete as well. :tu:

Valjoux 6263/5 is not too difficult

Start w/ a DW V72 case, bezel, dial and hands- around $450

Crown and tube- say $100

Pushers $50

Valjoux movement- $700-1000

Service movement $300

Gen T-21, say $100

Bracelet and end pieces??? Allow $200,

Watchmaker to put it together- say $200-400

This is a rough estimate. The more gen parts you use, the more it costs. This does not include modifications to the movement- train bridge, chrono bridge, Rolex engraving on the main plate, Microstella balance, etc.

Basicallly it's going to run $2,000-3,000 w/o getting too fancy.

As Freddy said a few weeks ago, that's why Spin Master's modified 7750 DW 6263 is really a pretty good deal at around $600.

Crown and tube- say $100

Pushers $50

Service movement $300

Gen T-21, say $100

This is a rough estimate. The more gen parts you use, the more it costs. This does not include modifications to the movement- train bridge, chrono bridge, Rolex engraving on the main plate, Microstella balance, etc.

As Freddy said a few weeks ago, that's why Spin Master's modified 7750 DW 6263 is really a pretty good deal at around $600.

How much are genuine parts like:

-pushers

-crown and tube

-bracelet and endpieces

-bezel (6263 or 6265)

I'm not 100% sure on how much those should cost.

I can PM if that's better, but others may want to know as well.

Edited by Chronus

How much are genuine parts like:

-pushers

-crown and tube

-bracelet and endpieces

-bezel (6263 or 6265)

I'm not 100% sure on how much those should cost.

I can PM if that's better, but others may want to know as well.

The gen parts are really high. I have seen some on the bay. My estimate would be as follows:

pushers - $500 each

Crown and tube - $200

Bracelet - $250 (to a braclet with corrrect 571 ends? maybe $800)

bezel - over $1000

I'm not to sure what gen parts will run, mainly because they're hard to find most of the time.

Pushers shouldn't be more than $50

Crown and tubes- $50 each, max of $75 each- more than that and you're being fleeced. 24-702 crown and tube- maybe $200 for the pair...

Bracelet- $400 and up maybe

Bezel- probably way too much- $500 + is my guess and that's used

Dial- outa sight

Basically you look around on ebay and keep looking. I think you have to set a budget- don't forget, it is a franken and will always be. And most people will never know- 99.9% of the population could give a hoot.

Still in pieces but I'm about done with a 9401 franken.

MBW Case: $190

Gen Dial: $200

Gen Hands: $200

Gen 2784: $197

Possibly Gen 2776 (waiting on it to arrive): $65

Gen Crown/Tube: $60

Gen Insert: $100

Gen springbars: $20

Gen T19 crystal: $43

Casework: $0

Total: $1075 so far.

All the gen prices quoted so far are wayyyy too low. Unless you're buying some beat up crap, you'll never find prices for good gen parts so cheap. For instance (no offense), 702 crown/tubes are no way near 200. Although molarrycurly (sp?) was selling crowns for 70 or so, 702 tubes may go for 500 just for the tube (if you can ever find one). :)

Alligoat I think the pushers are $50 each at some place like Ofrei our Cousins (UK) but those are after market not gen. Plus those have a different thread pitch so then you have to spend even more money if you want them put in and you cannot do it yourself. I have seen numerous 7835 bracelets for sale in the $250 range but those come with 357 end links. I have not ever seen a 7835 bracelet with 571 end links for sale. They are just so rare. Could you use a 7835 bracelet and put rep 571 end links on it? Do the 357 end links come off?

My prices listed are what I paid at the time and are not prospective or quoted estimate.

Nor are mine. There are advantages to having an AD with a Rolex parts account aren't there Ubi? :) For some of these parts I just had them install on my Gen and recyled the used parts (crown/tube, insert, springbars as they give the old ones back) while others were purchased outright.

All the gen prices quoted so far are wayyyy too low. Unless you're buying some beat up crap, you'll never find prices for good gen parts so cheap. For instance (no offense), 702 crown/tubes are no way near 200. Although molarrycurly (sp?) was selling crowns for 70 or so, 702 tubes may go for 500 just for the tube (if you can ever find one). :)

I thought Phong had 702 tubes a month ago for $150- of course, those could have been aftermarket tubes like the 703 tubes we all use in our modern subs. But checking his site, they're no longer listed. But I do expect some interesting news shortly on aftermarket 702 tubes.

As gavidoc pointed out, with a Rolex parts account, you can certainly do better. And a lot of times, I shy away from gen parts if they get too expensive- just looking at VFR makes me wonder what the heck type of crack are those guys smoking, the prices are outasight. I like using gen parts, but at some point it no longer makes sense.

...just looking at VFR makes me wonder what the heck type of crack are those guys smoking, the prices are outasight. I like using gen parts, but at some point it no longer makes sense.

MD-

With regards to VRF and pricing- Yes, pricing can indeed be very high, but you have to remember that the items sold are usually old used or NOS original parts (not current RSC replacement parts) and most are going into collector hands for either restoration of their genuine vintage, or to hold on to as back up stock for when the day comes that they might need that item. So, for restoration of genuine pieces, the cost makes a little more sense as many of those watches do carry significant value when fitted with the right parts and justifies cost. For building/modding frankens it doesn't make a lot of sense adding a $7k dial to an aftermarket case (however in the end one could always part the watch back out and sell the gen pieces a la carte to recoup investment if need be).

:)

Crown and tube- say $100

Pushers $50

Service movement $300

Gen T-21, say $100

I agree on Freddy's ideas on SpinMaster's modified 7750... it truly is a great deal, without the huge spend and headache of finding all the parts. He services them all as well, he's posted pictures, so that makes it an even better deal. No need to worry about a poorly serviced and lubricated movement :tu: I think he services the Singapore members watches, so we know it's not just talk... For those of us already on the way towards a V72 powered 6263/5, it's not so easy :bangin:

And there's a guy in Israel who sells, in official unopened packaging, for $650 per pusher :black_eye:

Edited by Chronus