When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's Official; I'm An Idiot

verbal

ok, here's some advice...

As a watchsmith myself, we were of course taught to use the hand press tool which is like a small pen with a plastic tip at the end with a hole which gives clearance for the pinion.

Now we dont all have that tool, so we can of course find a substitute. Look around in your pen/pencil case/holder and you will find one of those BIC pens - the ones that have the ink go into the tip of the pen, its usually plastic and cheap. Now if you take the ink and the tip out, you have something very similar to the hand press tool. But if you want to go harder, you can get a PACER - a mechanical pencil and the tip of that can also be used.

But remember, make sure you apply even pressure on the entire hand so you dont bend or break anything.

Hope this helps and good luck

The Horotek hand fitting press makes the job a whole lot easier, essentially its a little hand operated press that holds the hand setting tool in position exactly above the hand, there are fairly cheap, ($65 or so) and are well worth while.

Its on this page near the bottom:

http://www.ofrei.com/page_209.html

Also I've found sometimes using the old style hand removing levers gives much greater control over the forces applied, especially on the poorly made hands our reps sometimes have. The presto type hand remover tools can be pretty brutal. Keep in mind most watchmakers working on newer models will replace the hands as part of a service so oftent he don't care so much about damage removing them.

One final tip.. get some thin plastic (I use thin teflon sheet) and cut some dial guards out, slip these over the dial (have cutouts for the hands obviously) and you'll reduce the chance of slipping and gouging a dial

That sucks but it does happen so don't feel stupid! -_- It happens when you are learning. You'll get it right just don't let it beat you.

I actually use the Indian type hand removing tools. I use soft lense cloths to protect the dial from scratches. I actually use a ball point pen fill to re set the main hands. For the chrono hands I actually set them with tweezers.

Also by the way, if your IWC chrono is the new 28,800 asian movement the second hand you broke probably wouldn't have fit the new movement anyway. I tried on a new Navitimer Serie Speciale for another member with the updated movement and it was a no go due to the hand sizes being slightly altered.

Like someone else said I would hit up Ofrei for a new hand.

Cheers,

Jon :victory:

I find the best way to remove and replace hands is as follows.

1. Put the watch in a little soft pouch.

2. Put it in your pocket.

3. Put it in the hands of someone who knows what he is bloody doing, to replace the hands ( or anything else for that matter).

Edited by TTK

Wow, I just woke up this morning, checked the thread and 34 posts already with lots of good advice, thanks guys! There are a number of good hints and tips and I will certainly try most of them -heck- it's ruined anyway so why not enjoy the practice :)

It all looks so damn simple if you read other members post on fixing this or modding that, but the fact is; it's watchmaking and it takes skills and experience...

TTK is right, let others do the job.

I've just discovered I accidentally scratched the dial as well, just light but ugly.

I'll die trying probably but I will get an ETA in my most favorite watch... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

verbal - I hate to ruin your ruin... :)

The datewheels of a new 28,8K Asian 7750 are not interchangeable with the datewheels of the Swiss 7750... sorry.

It does fit ! and it wasn't hard to fit at all.. The ETA came with a white datewheel so I had to replace it anyway , but yes it does fit..

Simply install the datewheel and adjust time untill a date change, that's 12 PM so install the hands in 12 'o clock position.

If you don't have date, after you've installed hour hand adjust time untill hand is aligned to 12 position, then install minute hand..

That coming from someone who just ruined a GST.. :whistling:

When replacing hands, especially where there is a date you need to wind the movt so the date is just changing then stop the movt. Then seat the hands. You need to gently press the hands so they grip the pinion and obviously position them so that the time hands and the chrono hands are all at the 12 o'clock position. The sub hans need to be pressed onto their pinions so that they are just clear of the dial.

Also by the way, if your IWC chrono is the new 28,800 asian movement the second hand you broke probably wouldn't have fit the new movement anyway. I tried on a new Navitimer Serie Speciale for another member with the updated movement and it was a no go due to the hand sizes being slightly altered.

Cheers,

Jon :victory:

That's too bad... :wounded1:

Why not just swap the cog/spindle from the Asian to the ETA?

Absolutely - this is what you have to do when converting the PAM's with asian 7750 to swiss as the asian pinions are longer in order to clear the sub hand transfer gears. They are a straight swap and work perfectly.

Absolutely - this is what you have to do when converting the PAM's with asian 7750 to swiss as the asian pinions are longer in order to clear the sub hand transfer gears. They are a straight swap and work perfectly.

Me and my big mouth. I should have offered him a pittance for the ETA 7750 first :Jumpy:

@ verbal

some kind of watchwork is that easy (or seems to be :whistling: ) But seriously: I am modding, servicing and upgrading my watches with a lot of fun but when it comes to the hands it is always the same thrill. Will they scratch or break? I guess we both are not alone. Removing and setting hands is a hard job.