When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 3717 returns... With a little help from some friends

ubiquitous

A few months back, I put up my beloved modified WM9 16610 for trade, to which I struck a fantastic deal with a fellow forum member to exchange his V1 EL100 3717 for my Sub. I had no idea how great the 3717 Flieger was until I finally got my hands on it- I really didn't know what I was missing until I saw it with my own eyes ^_^

Here's how this beauty looked upon arrival:

IMG_2850.jpg

Well, it wasn't long before my fidgety side got the better of me, and I hadn't had the watch but a day before I tore into it to swap date wheels. A decision I would soon regret. In my rush to get this mod done, I ended up fudging up the keyless works. In an oversight, I had forgotten the golden rule with 7750's; always release in the winding position! Feeling gutted and digusted with myself, I packed the parts away and figured a good night's sleep was needed before figuring out what to do from that point.

The next day, I had vented my frustrations to two very good pals of mine- kruzer00 and lanikai. Both had stepped forward, without hesitation and offered me a grand solution that helped kick start my project into high gear- A Swiss 7750 and a chief AR'd crystal. This was my lucky day. In the matter of a few hours, I had a plan set before me, and the next thing to do was to coordinate the work. Having had bad luck with the movement, and considering that I had some other items I wanted addressed anyways, I scheduled some time for my watch to visit the official Canadian spa for a make over. The work to be done:

-Install Swiss 7750

-Exchange white day/date wheels with black

-Modify hands to fit Swiss movement

-Install AR'd crystal

-Relume dial and hands

A few weeks had passed, and to my delight, I had a parcel in the mailbox today :)

Here's what my reborn Flieger looks like now:

IMG_5222.jpg

IMG_5245.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

On an HKTan:

IMG_5268.jpg

And on bracelet:

IMG_5273.jpg

The differences in pics may appear subtle, but I can assure that the transformation is amazing in person. My wife was just marvelling over how the crystal has completely vanished thanks to the AR!

Huge thanks to 3 extraordinary gentlemen- W, R and RG. You guys have made me a very, VERY happy Ubi!

No better way to kick off the weekend!

:)

Thanks for looking,

R

Thanks, gang! I have to say; I have not been this excited about a watch in a while! I just can't stop looking at it...

Chief's AR is simply incredible. I am curious, however as to how other members care for their AR coating. Do I need microfiber towels for wiping the crystal? Since I've been primarily into Rolex watches that have no AR, I'm not sure if certain precautions need to be made to preserve the integrity of the coating :) My only other experience has been the faux or lite AR, which simply doesn't compare...

I'm very thankful that we have such talented members on the forum... Folks like Chief and ZZ that take ordinary reps to the next level and beyond...

IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5279.jpg

IMG_5284.jpg

IMG_5295.jpg

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Beautiful watch! I used to have one, swapped the day/date, got AR, then sold it! So stupid, I loved that watch! So I bought one from Concepta with gen movement and have a dial and hands on order for his next round of gen dials and hands.

I noticed your second and minute hand aren't bent and they aren't on my new one either...is this a variation in the gen, or are they all bent towards the dial on the gen? My older 3717 had bent hands, that's why I'm asking.