When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Check out this guys' gen collection!

By-Tor

Ah ha!

Even my old brain remembers the discussions at the time....

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...7&hl=Rivkin

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...9&hl=Rivkin

Yep I think that was it!

From memory, there was even some controversy over the auction, I think some pieces went missing!

(Must have been Cornerstone adding to his collection :rolleyes: )

O/S

All that money and yet with the exception of the two JLCs (Reverso and Diver), the Omega Apnoea, and of course the reissue Monaco (which I'm currently stalking), there's not a single watch there I'd give wrist time to :yuk:

Clearly an avid collector (as opposed to a WIS) but in general aesthetic terms the whole set is IMO quite tasteless, tacky and very much infused with an "I'm richer than you" tone. That Offshore has said he was an embezzler fits perfectly. Madoff probably has a similar collection you'd imagine.

Did the fact the link said "rivkinfamily.com" not give it away O/S ??? :p;)

Honestly, I just thought I recollected some of the watches!

with the exception of the two JLCs (Reverso and Diver), the Omega Apnoea, and of course the reissue Monaco (which I'm currently stalking), there's not a single watch there I'd give wrist time to

Couldn't agree more Doc! ( although there may be a couple of others in there, that could rest there shoes under my bed. I am a bit of a U N fan!)

Seems everything he had to own, was a "limited edition"

Methinks , if one needs to own mostly limited editions, it qualifies their brain power. :rolleyes:

Wow, that is some collection indeed!!

Unfortunately...it WAS some collection.

From memory again, his wife got to keep some of her watches..... and some of his which had been catalogued in his collection went "missing"! His bankrupt estate never saw too many $$!

As an added bit of spice to this tale, his chauffeur, had been involved with one of our top models, and she subsequently "fell off a cliff". He was eventually extradited from England, and charged with her murder, and found guilty. The court case bought out all sorts of wonderful celebrity scandals, as is the want of the rich and famous. Drug dealing, insurance fraud, gay sex, it had just about the lot!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/rivk...9-1111117618824

No, I don't think Australia will forget the outlandish Rene Rivkin, any time soon.

Offshore

All that money and yet with the exception of the two JLCs (Reverso and Diver), the Omega Apnoea, and of course the reissue Monaco (which I'm currently stalking), there's not a single watch there I'd give wrist time to :yuk:

Clearly an avid collector (as opposed to a WIS) but in general aesthetic terms the whole set is IMO quite tasteless, tacky and very much infused with an "I'm richer than you" tone. That Offshore has said he was an embezzler fits perfectly. Madoff probably has a similar collection you'd imagine.

I agree entirely. An interesting collection in terms of diversity of brands, but only a few watches (such as the Cuervo y Sobrinos, black dialled Ebel and black dialled Ulysse Nardin) I would even consider wearing, the rest, despite their obvious cash value, just look cheap and tacky.

Have to agree on the Apnoea, it sounds a stunning piece and of course, the Monaco speaks for it's self!! Have you had any luck in stalking it Doc B??

Sixx :bones:

Yes and no. They're actually not that difficult to find on the market - usually a couple of fleabay from time to time. Just a matter of finding a perfectly minty example for a decent price (allowing for the fact that the required replacement strap is now a couple of hundred notes extra *ouch*).

I'm constantly asking myself; "why", when witnessing abundances of this caliber, which creates a general dislike towards collecting reps too... I assume that the difference lays within this particular collector's possibility to really make a difference in this world with his capital, opposed to people collecting fairly inexpensive reps. In the end, people are starving, while this guy adorn his wrist with million of dollars(?)

Sorry for the rambling - got a sickening feel in my gut :ph34r:

Clearly an avid collector (as opposed to a WIS) but in general aesthetic terms the whole set is IMO quite tasteless, tacky and very much infused with an "I'm richer than you" tone.

This may sound like a joke but honestly that is a pretty good description of Rene Rivkin.

Ken

Folks - this watch collection is not the Rene Rivkin collection which was auctioned in 1997 - here.

rivkinwatches.crspartners.com.au

Rene's collection included a calculator watch by HP, a Vacheron Constantin - Le Coultre watch with Diamonds for hands, and a Harry Winston dress watch, which fetched around $17K at the auction.

As far as I can tell, they have no connection - other than their last name and wacky watch collections.

thank you Google.

Lump.