When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

fake watch = fake people

sur3wyn

Hey all,

just found an interesting feature article about reps, thought you'd guys might wanna just have a read. Enjoy:

Sourced: The Star

URICH (Reuters) - "Fake watches are for fake people: buy authentic, buy real" -- that is the slogan of a campaign by the Swiss watch industry to fight booming demand for counterfeit goods during the global downturn.

A saleswoman shows off brands belonging to Swiss Swatch Group (L-R) Breguet, Longines, Omega and Glashuette in a watch and jewellery shop in Zurich, in this March 22, 2006 file photo. (REUTERS/Siggi Bucher/Files)

Switzerland knows that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but wants to preserve its reputation for quality products, from watches to cheese, by setting strict rules on Swiss content and more rigorously tracking down fakes.

Defending "Swissness" will be an uphill battle beyond Swiss borders and promoting premium products is a risky strategy in a recession, but Switzerland wants to be ready for a rebound.

A search for "Swiss made" on the Internet returns dozens of websites offering replica watches at knock-down prices but also assurances that the mostly "made in China" fakes can match "made in Switzerland" quality.

"We're able to offer low prices, and you can be certain of the craftsmanship that goes into every watch," boasts one company based in Shenzen, China, offering a Rolex Santos "with correct markings and engravings, replicated to the smallest detail" for $449 instead of $952.

Exports of Swiss watches slumped by 25 percent in the first five months of the year to 5 billion Swiss francs ($4.6 billion), with 2.5 million fewer watches sold than a year ago.

The Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry estimates that more than 40 million fake Swiss timepieces are made every year, generating profits of around $1 billion.

"People still like brands in an economic crisis but unfortunately if there is not enough money at their disposal, they buy counterfeits," said Yves Bugmann, head of the federation's legal division.

The threat from fake goods has spurred the Swiss government into action to try to protect its precious "Swiss-made" label and the white-on-red Swiss cross logo by setting strict rules on Swiss content and production.

Switzerland's squeaky-clean image has been dented by a global crackdown on its secretive banking industry, in particular its top bank UBS, accused of helping tax dodgers hide their money in offshore accounts.

However, the image of most Swiss products is untarnished. A global study conducted by advertising firm McCann Erickson and St Gallen University in 2008 showed Swiss products are perceived more favourably that those from any other country.

QUALITY PREMIUM

"People are prepared to pay up to 20 percent more for certain Swiss consumer products and for luxury goods they are prepared to pay even more," said Felix Addor, deputy director general of the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property.

"But if they pay more and they are disappointed because the product has not the expected high quality it hurts the reputation of Switzerland."

Juergen Haeusler, chairman of the brand consultancy Interbrand for central and eastern Europe, said achievements by prominent Swiss such as tennis ace Roger Federer and prize-winning architects Peter Zumthor and Jacques Herzog have helped the country's image. "People think of Switzerland in terms of quality, precision," he said.

The leading Swiss brands in the Business Week/Interbrand top 100 include Nescafe coffee and Rolex watches, as well as UBS, although the bank dropped several places when it suffered record losses last year and came under a U.S. tax fraud investigation.

Some of the top brands such as Nestle do not actively market their Swiss roots, perhaps because they imply premium pricing, but a growing number do so, with more than 5,000 brands using the tag "Swiss" in 2006, up from 1,500 in 2000.

"'Made in Switzerland' is a valuable asset of the Swiss nation and helps Swiss industry to compete worldwide. More and more corporate brands like to associate with the image of Switzerland compared with 10 years ago," Haeusler said.

To defend the brand, the government is planning legislation that will demand that the Swiss share of production costs must be 60 percent for industrial goods to be labelled "Swiss".

The watch industry has proposed an even tougher requirement for itself, demanding an 80-percent share of total production costs in Switzerland, up from the current 50 percent, seen by many as too lax and allowing too much production elsewhere.

Under the new legislation, at least 80 percent of the raw materials for food products must be from Switzerland and most of the processing costs must occur in the country.

So Swiss cheese will not only have to be made in Switzerland but also must use largely from Swiss milk. The dried beef industry is up in arms because simply curing meat in Switzerland will no longer be enough. It will have to use Swiss meat, rather than Argentine.

Swiss chocolate makers such as Lindt need not worry as the legislation foresees exceptions for products such as cocoa that are not sourced locally and for raw materials that are temporarily not available, for example because of poor harvests.

NO BRAND MANAGER

Sven Reinecke, marketing professor at St Gallen university, said it would be hard to enforce the new rules on what is allowed to be called "Swiss-made" globally, but it was important to try, especially for luxury industries such as watchmaking.

"It is difficult to defend the brand all over the world. You do not have a brand manager for Swissness so everybody can use it. But for a premium brand you need to show it is quality so it is necessary to define it," he said.

Bugmann of the watch industry federation said the recession was already making China less cooperative in pursuing counterfeiters.

Some might question the wisdom of pushing the premium quality of Swiss products when consumers are trading down, hurting expensive watch brands Swatch Group and Richemont as well as premium chocolatiers such as Lindt.

Interbrand's Haeusler disagrees: "Marketing is often the opposite of what seems to be reasonable.

"Even if we can't have premium, we still aspire to have premium. I would not just begin to communicate the image in a different way just because of a temporary crisis."

Kepler Capital Markets analyst Jon Cox said promoting the Swiss brand would set the country up well for a recovery.

"The whole trend towards premium products will go on even if it is a trend towards less conspicuous consumption," he said.

Experts foresee little lasting damage from attacks on banking secrecy, noting that a Nazi gold scandal in the late 1990s over the emptying of Jewish accounts with Swiss banks did not have a lasting effect on the country's image.

"Country brands are big ships that don't change course quickly," said Addor from the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property. "A Swiss watch is a high quality watch. It has nothing to do with whether or not Swiss banks have done something good or bad."

(Additional reporting by Josie Cox)

Copyright

Guest HaloArchive

I think that enforcing the percent made rule wil definately help ofu the Swiss in a positive way. We shouldn't worry because there will always be reps of watches :p

For the GEN market though, it will root out many hundreds of watches that claim to be "Swiss" made.

H

who cares?!

they only write articles like that because REPS RULE!

Amen to that, brother. Counterfeiters aren't the ones charging stupid money for items worth only a fraction of the price tag...

I say reps are 'fair trade' watches :good:

old article, been posted before.

John,

The subject of "fake people / fake watches" had been in various articles before but this is a recent article dealing with how the recession is effecting "Swiss Made" premiums. Luxury goods take a beating in these downturns, this being the steepest since the Great Depression and it has to have the luxury goods producers even more on the defensive as consumers opt for the cheaper brands and substitutes, often times replicas of all goods or homages of luxury goods, something you seem to be personally into at the moment. Its the reflection of "I want my purchase to count in these trying times" so "money is no object" attitudes have been flushed down the toilet.

sur3wyn: Thanks for the article link.

John,

The subject of "fake people / fake watches" had been in various articles before but this is a recent article dealing with how the recession is effecting "Swiss Made" premiums. Luxury goods take a beating in these downturns, this being the steepest since the Great Depression and it has to have the luxury goods producers even more on the defensive as consumers opt for the cheaper brands and substitutes, often times replicas of all goods or homages of luxury goods, something you seem to be personally into at the moment. Its the reflection of "I want my purchase to count in these trying times" so "money is no object" attitudes have been flushed down the toilet.

sur3wyn: Thanks for the article link.

most welcome. just saw it in the daily papers and thought it was an interesting read to share :D

Does that mean I have to wear a brand to make myself a valued member of society? Fake or real our watches appeal to us and we dont all have the income or legacy to buy everything we want. We consdier our real life and have to cover mortgage payment, kids eduction, food and all the other normal day in day out stuff. Since we are not all in a position to buy what in may cases are overprices status symbols why should we not go the rep route. Does it mean that I have to wear clothing with huge logos just so people think I have money? IN my opinion I know the true value of things and their priorities, my kids come befoe a watch or car, if I can enjoy an item that has cost me less but still brings me pleasure I am happy to buy a rep. Oncemy kids leave home I might treat myself but for now, I think I will just keep my priorities and considerations the way they are. Maybe the industry is aiming more to the WAG crowd. I prefer to have taste and the option to make my own choices and not be a fashion sheep prepared to buy a Beckham Jacob & Co just to say Feck You look at my wrist. These may be low brow concepts according to the SWI then they shoud see the friends I have through this hobby and the way we look after each other (as a rule) compared to Pete and Jordon, Posh and Becks and other of their ilk. Yep, my way is the right one..... for me at least

Gen Steel Rolex DJ -

Some of the most genuine people I know are friends that I have met, right here, on this replica forum.

+3

Have broke bread with the likes of - Nanuq, Ubi, Pizzaman, Deltatahoe, Rocket, Omni, Pizzanooo, POTR, etc...

Not to mention the countless folks I've had the pleasure of sharing conversations with over the phone...

To many to list...

This place is sooo much more than Watches...

I can't even put a value on it...

Double T

When one is loosing ground, oft they go defending themselves, like everyone said, old story.

Some folks would buy though.

This is how I look at it. Counterfeit watches has got nothing to do with the real brands out there. How would I be affecting them when I buy one? It is clearly a different price point. It is not the case where the Chinese are repping them and charges the same price.

It is also not a case with DVD where loyalties are involved. On the other hand, yes, they are infringing the very core of copyright contracts but they are there because they are protecting themselves. Businesses are selfish in nature, true? But one also got to look into the very nature of the contract.

Most watches are border lining in terms of design. Gosh, most if not all watch manufacturer would be sued and close shop. And guess what, all of them are still around with similar designs. Hypocrites to the core.

Articles like these surfaces once in a while or if not planned periodically to tell and remind the factories in China to watch out. And they'd know that it is impossible to fully curb them or at all. There's simply no way. Public goods are always driven by demands. Watch industry are not Bill Gates industry. Sorry dudes.

Making a premium is fine but over the past decades it went overboard with economies grown too much but little value remained. Same goes for Swiss watches. Its funny how they put it where cost of labor and materials will be increased to 80%. My as well double that? This can only mean one thing. Everyone who buys a Swiss watch will be paying an extra premium of 30% from now on for the same goods.

It is just a step up in making more. I can assure you that most of Swiss watches are made in the far east, the branding of Swiss is an easy one. Cost of material $100, and jacked to 50% in labor, wallah... we have a Swiss watch. Now we can charge it for a grand or 2. Marketing and PR make up the majority of the cost.

Another example, please excuse my comparison. Take the BMW, great car yes! I own one too. But heck, its brand/badge power dude!

So, do allow me to summarize:-

1) F*@k you rep makers, you are making more now thanks to us and we are not happy as the world banking went to hell.

2) Ah... opportunity to make more with someone to blame, perfect as they are illegal!

3) Marketing, PR rules, we know you love it, its glamorous!

4) Yes, without reps, we could triple our earnings! shareholders... wohoo...

5) We can F@#k with you, because we can.

2 cents worth

R

Hey all,

just found an interesting feature article about reps, thought you'd guys might wanna just have a read. Enjoy:

Sourced: The Star

Frankly (as many of you already know), I'm a HUGE fan of reps and a HUGE fan of gens. However, the gens I buy cannot be repped (for various reasons). I owned a gen IWC flieger chrono and was disgusted with the fact that it was merely a 7750 movement- however highly polished and refinished it was. After finding these high-quality reps via this site, I haven't looked back at gens that can be repped within 99% of their lives. Obviously, this is just my opinion, but for my uses, if a rep can fool me, I'm happy. This whole idea of feeling satisfaction "knowing it's real" is for fools with too much money to spend. I swear, they get their satisfaction from knowing they can afford it and NOT from the fact that their wearing haute horlogerie. I get that. I understand that. However, to describe it as anything more meaningful than that is a rich man's lie. Real people don't wear real watches- they wear $30 timexes from walmart. THOSE are the people who really don't care what people think. As for the rest of us, we buy the best we can afford. For some of us, that means buying the best regardless of whether it's a rep or a gen.

Some of the most genuine people I know are friends that I have met, right here, on this replica forum.

The opposite is also true- some of the most phoney people I know insist on wearing only gens. They do this to compensate for the fact that in spite of their wild success, they still feel unworthy inside. This doesn't change the fact that they're complete douchebags.

This whole idea of feeling satisfaction "knowing it's real" is for fools with too much money to spend. I swear, they get their satisfaction from knowing they can afford it and NOT from the fact that their wearing haute horlogerie. I get that. I understand that. However, to describe it as anything more meaningful than that is a rich man's lie.

Well said. I'd buy more of both gens and reps if I could afford to.

Detailed mechanical stuff is fascinating. Highly sophisticated car engines do it for me too:

89%20(9).jpg