When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PC vs MAC

vikkyrob

I got and iMac for Christmas

new-apple-imac-mb950ba-3-06ghz-superdrive-desktop-computer-with-21-5-inch-monitor-12285167.jpeg

Seriously the Thing rocks, everything is integrated and works no faffing around, just got office2008 and its good to go.

The apple stores are great cos you can just walk in and have a quick lesson on iphoto or what ever and it really is a pleasant experience and they do look good, we dont have a lot of space so it works for us.

Also you dont think you are at work, windows based pc's always feel like work , these just seem different, I had bever used a mac before and dont have an iPhone but I would recommend them whole heartedly

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This discussion between PC Vs. Mac fanboys is futile, 50% agree PC's are better meanwhile the other half thinks Macs are better, bleh. I personally believe Macs are a waste of money seeing as you can get the same by buying a PC, install Mac OS and save a lot of money, if you can live without the "pretty white crap"... but I'm sure lots will disagree. lol

The "Pretty White Crap" you speak of makes the real difference, much in the same way there are diffeerences between a Rep watch and a Gen watch. If you want the real thing you buy the "pretty white crap", otherwise all you have is a replica that may, or may ot work like the original.

"HACKINTOSH" Notes:

THis is for those that don't know about "hackintoshes". You can't simply install Mac OSX on a PC as is alluded in guanaco's post. You must have a "hacked" version of it, you also have to have hardware that is specifically supported, since you can't simpy go and download drivers from the manufacturer like you can with a PC. Some hardware works, some doesn't, some sort of works. Then there's the issue of updates. You can't do updates, any updates from Apple will kill your installation. You must wait until someone releases another "hacked" version or update.

Frankly its't not all that easy if you're not a "hacker" at heart, or into the "scene". It's a great to get your feet wet and get you interested and familiar with the OS, but if you really like the Mac OS, you eventually buy a real Mac. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE !

The "Pretty White Crap" you speak of makes the real difference, much in the same way there are diffeerences between a Rep watch and a Gen watch. If you want the real thing you buy the "pretty white crap", otherwise all you have is a replica that may, or may ot work like the original.

"HACKINTOSH" Notes:

THis is for those that don't know about "hackintoshes". You can't simply install Mac OSX on a PC as is alluded in guanaco's post. You must have a "hacked" version of it, you also have to have hardware that is specifically supported, since you can't simpy go and download drivers from the manufacturer like you can with a PC. Some hardware works, some doesn't, some sort of works. Then there's the issue of updates. You can't do updates, any updates from Apple will kill your installation. You must wait until someone releases another "hacked" version or update.

Frankly its't not all that easy if you're not a "hacker" at heart, or into the "scene". It's a great to get your feet wet and get you interested and familiar with the OS, but if you really like the Mac OS, you eventually buy a real Mac. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE !

lol, typical Mac fanboy, you'll probably buy everything Apple pukes out to the market, like the failpad for example. Anyways, it's pretty simple to install Mac OS if you know how, AMD chipset is the one that's not supported, otherwise if you have intel Core Processors and Chipset you are good to go, plus you'll need to download some other things, but it's quite simple. I have to say, if you buy it just because it's pretty and white you are beyond redemption and deserve to be slapped, lol, Macs are excellent computers so don't get me wrong, it's the stupid price that they have that make me frown upon Macs, it's ridiculous, my $1,500 laptop owns any Macbook out there that's twice the price of mine or more.

Edited by guanaco

lol, typical Mac fanboy, you'll probably buy everything Apple pukes out to the market, like the failpad for example. Anyways, it's pretty simple to install Mac OS if you know how, AMD chipset is the one that's not supported, otherwise if you have intel Core Processors and Chipset you are good to go, plus you'll need to download some other things, but it's quite simple. I have to say, if you buy it just because it's pretty and white you are beyond redemption and deserve to be slapped, lol, Macs are excellent computers so don't get me wrong, it's the stupid price that they have that make me frown upon Macs, it's ridiculous, my $1,500 laptop owns any Macbook out there that's twice the price of mine or more.

Yes, I'm a fan, but just because I can appreciate a Mac that doesn't make me a "fanatic", although the word fan comes from it I'm not religiously following an "Apple cult". I don't have every piece of hardware Apple releases, just the ones that are of use to me. So there's no reason to "slap me".

Back on the Hackintosh subject. While it might be easy for someone "who knows what they're doing" to slap together a Hackintosh, it's not for everyone. Not everyone knows where to find and download the software, or load 3rd party drivers, or patch .kext files (with a "k" not "t"), and so on.

Last but not least, the hacked versions of Mac OS X WORK just fine on the AMD platform, and they have since version 10.4.5 which was released back in 2006. So you're a bit behind the times.

Last but not least, the hacked versions of Mac OS X WORK just fine on the AMD platform, and they have since version 10.4.5 which was released back in 2006. So you're a bit behind the times.

Last time I checked you could install SL on the AMD, around September last year, but it was a work in progress.

Last time I checked you could install SL on the AMD, around September last year, but it was a work in progress.

You can check the OSX86 wiki. here's a link for 10.4.5, and you can go up from there all the way to present.

OSX 10.4.5 installation

...but it was a work in progress.

It's always work in progress, even after the "final release" is out.

The pretty white crap is what puts me off them actually, it looks like a toy computer made for someone with a learning disability. I know the design is seen as a massive pro for mac people, a reason why a lot of people buy them in the first place, but I really cant stand their bling. I remember having the clamshell laptops, man they were horrid:

_IBOOK.GIF

Im glad work pays for this [censored] cause I never would

Ill probably look back at my current ibook in 3 years time and think the same..

Their powermac stuff looks good but you gotta sell an organ for them.

Edited by opti

Well, the 2 posts above this, pretty much illustrate the juvenile and insecure mentality of the Mac "nay sayers". I'm not sure I'd want to call them Mac haters, because they're just silly little people with big insecurities.

2b355622.jpg

Yeah... look out for the big bad Steve, he's comin' after ya with a jar of Kool-Aid... :rofl: :rofl:

Well, the 2 posts above this, pretty much illustrate the juvenile and insecure mentality of the Mac "nay sayers". I'm not sure I'd want to call them Mac haters, because they're just silly little people with big insecurities.

...and this just proves how Apple fan boys are silly little girls always looking for attention getting their panties in a bunch whenever someone disses the brand that turned them into sheeple, youch! ;)

We also never shriek like a girl and start a thread whenever a certain computer brand releases something new, ever seen a "ZOMG THE XPS XxxxxX just came out!!!" -- No.

Since we're being immature, here's a picture of you:

fanboy.jpg

Sexy! :wub:

e2d0cc5b.jpg

Since we're being immature, here's a picture of you:

fanboy.jpg

Sexy! :wub:

Actually, I wish I looked that good. I haven't been that thin since the 80's when I started working with computers.... Oh wait, I just realized that's probably about the time you were still pooping your diapers... No matter, thanks for the compliment.

Obviously this thread has gone into the crapper. It was originally about the differences between the Mac and PCs, but obviously it degenerated to this name calling, so I'm done with it.

If anyone has any intelligent things to say, ask or discuss on the subject I'm willing to participate into a conversation about computers, Macs, PC, etc. But not on this thread.

Bottom line, Apple sucks, PC's are better, and dude has a diaper/scat fetish. :1a:

The only thing I find, hardware wise, that makes a mac suck these days (I'm going by macbooks though, not desktops) is the lack of drivers for microsoft operating systems. Which is odd because they use the same vendors for sound processors as pcs have been using for many years now. Otherwise a mac is basically the same thing as a PC but with a bigger price tag. I'd probably buy a macbook as my next laptop if the price wasn't in outer space all the time. I just looked at macbook prices last night and they still want about 2 grand for a semi-decent one with a 17" screen which with the same hardware specs you can buy in any other vendor for under a grand I would imagine. They don't even offer an i7 in a macbook pro yet and the price actually would be more justified if they did.

Another problem with macs are the flock of sheep they have gathered, down to the developer. There are some professional sound editing software that only will run in mac osx and people who are deep into that hobby or profession know this and will buy macs. Which is why I would guess someone like (and I know this is a bad example, but still he is in the music industry) Souljaboy Tellem has a macbook pro. And he isn't exactly a mac nerd.. never heard of a mac geek being so absorbed by a microsoft video game console, which he is deeply into the xbox360.

We also never shriek like a girl and start a thread whenever a certain computer brand releases something new, ever seen a "ZOMG THE XPS XxxxxX just came out!!!" -- No.

You don't celebrate evolution; you celebrate revolution.

Which is why I would guess someone like (and I know this is a bad example, but still he is in the music industry) Souljaboy Tellem has a macbook pro. And he isn't exactly a mac nerd.. never heard of a mac geek being so absorbed by a microsoft video game console, which he is deeply into the xbox360.

Apart from gamers like the Penny Arcade folk. http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/3/6/

I don't care if people don't switch to Macs, but I do care about people insulting me for making an informed choice based on decades of professional experience. I also, as you may have noticed by my posting style, don't like people just making stuff up, or speaking uninformed drivel as gospel. There's opinion and there's fact, and you're entitled to your own opinion, but don't tell me stuff that is made up or guessed and pass it off as fact.

For instance ...

I just looked at macbook prices last night and they still want about 2 grand for a semi-decent one with a 17" screen which with the same hardware specs you can buy in any other vendor for under a grand I would imagine.

Don't hinge your entire argument on a guess. Go find me a laptop with the same spec as This base 17" MacBook Pro for under $1000.

Don't come back with a plastic-cased piece of crap with less than 1920x1200 pixels (24-bit), integrated graphics and slower RAM. Find a machine that spec for under $1000 including full OS and warranty that weighs under 7lbs.

Full 17" spec: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-17inch.html

Good luck, I'm genuinely interested in the results.

Don't hinge your entire argument on a guess. Go find me a laptop with the same spec as This base 17" MacBook Pro for under $1000.

Don't come back with a plastic-cased piece of crap with less than 1920x1200 pixels (24-bit), integrated graphics and slower RAM. Find a machine that spec for under $1000 including full OS and warranty that weighs under 7lbs.

Full 17" spec: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-17inch.html

Good luck, I'm genuinely interested in the results.

It's impossible, but take this one for example:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X7_8500_Notebook/

Xplorer X7-8500

17" 1920x1080 FHD

Intel Core i7-720QM Processor 1.60 GHz 6M L3 Cache PGA988

4GB DDR3 1333 SODIMM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX280M 1GB GDDR3 PCI-e

500GB 7200RPM SATA300

8X DVD/RW

Fingerprint Sensor

2.0 Megapixels Webcam

Built-in HDMI Port

Built-in Bluetooth

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

-etc.

$1,888 shipped. Now remember this one has an i7, better ram, a better hard drive [for $50 more you get the 7200rpm on the Mac], better video card, etc. Sure, it has a plastic case, but who cares? Mine is plastic [very high quality BTW] and I've had zero problems with it. Now tell me why should I pay $661 [added $50 for 7200rpm HD] more for something that's clearly inferior? Surely an aluminum case and a slightly better resolution is not worth $600+ :bangin:

$1,888 shipped. Now remember this one has an i7, better ram, a better hard drive [for $50 more you get the 7200rpm on the Mac], better video card, etc. Sure, it has a plastic case, but who cares? Mine is plastic [very high quality BTW] and I've had zero problems with it. Now tell me why should I pay $661 [added $50 for 7200rpm HD] more for something that's clearly inferior? Surely an aluminum case and a slightly better resolution is not worth $600+ :bangin:

It's a TFT screen with only 1920x1080 pixels versus the Mac's superior LED-lit 1920x1200 one. It's over 2lbs heavier and only gets 1.5 hours of battery life compared to the Mac's 8.

Nice try though, but the battery, power-management and weight are two of the expensive parts of the MacBook. You can't ignore them.

Eight hours vs one and a half.

Hackintoshes are NOT Macintoshes. But then again, we're on a Forum about replicas, so I guess that's what yopu have, a Mac Rep.

I have real Macs, as well as a few PC notebooks with hacked Mac OS X on them. The problem is they never quite work like the real thing. There's always some device that doesn't work right, or is not properly, if at all supported (Power Management comes to mind). But at least it get's your fet wet with what it is to run OS X.

BUt owning a Mac is a different story altogether. So the question is Gen Mac or Rep Mac??? :g:

BTW. unless oyu actually own real macs, your final line should read "Go Hack or Die"

I bought a MacBook Pro after taking a fifteen year vacation from the IT field. After a couple of months of using it, I turned my Windows machine into a Hackint0sh and haven't looked back since. I still keep a partition with WinXP on it (actually using it now because I'm cleaning up my hard drive), but only use Windows 0.01% of the time.

Both my MBP and Hackint0sh are running OSX 10.6.2 without any problems. The Hackint0sh is indistinguishable from the MBP, except for its outer case and monitor, and has full use of all peripherals, and software. It just takes a little tweaking, and choosing the right motherboard, CPU, and video card to start with (all I had to do was upgrade my video card - which needed to be done anyway.

I actually use a BlueTooth MightyMouse and Apple Aluminum Extended Keyboard with the Hackint0sh - instantly recognized by the OS. As I'm using a Vanilla Kernel it even updates through Apple Update without any problem at all (I even purchased a separate license for the PC, just because I felt I owed Apple that much :) ).

Granted I'm a little biased, as my first computer was an Apple II+, but I do love using my Macs, especially as I now spend hardly any time on system maintenance. But I did work in the Windows world for over 10 years, so I was very familiar with its shortcomings and headaches, which haven't changed much from what I hear.

Oh, Harry McCracken did this last year.

http://technologizer.com/2009/03/31/hey-lauren-is-apples-17-inch-macbook-pro-expensive/

http://technologizer.com/2009/04/07/macbook-pro-expensive-round-two/

Still, you're not going to get anywhere close to the MacBook for under a grand. That's my point, even if it sounds like I'm saying Macs are priced identically - in my opinion, the 17" isn't a machine I'd ever consider, so I really don't care as much, but from what I can tell about the 15", that's where the best value is in a Mac Laptop.

I was a big mac hater for some time, but after i got mine and really set myself into using it man pc's sucks compare to mac..

Its so soft and flawless, it NEVER crash and its just so easy to use, you get so much more done..

Battery life is amazing i can pull the charger out from my office go to bed whit my macbook pro watch 2+ episodes 720hd of some series i downloaded,write some mails do some work surf rwg for an hour and still have many hours left of battery time..

PC's sure i still like them and have one connected to my lcd tv but man as a personel computer to use daily mac's rock..

Like the iphone a mac just works have i want it to..

Just the touch pad on my macbook compare to laptops are worth the so called "extra" 600$

I'm taking the lack of results as failure to find a comparable laptop even close to under $1000.

Let's turn the tables here for a bit, disregarding the other post about the >$1000 PC - How about finding a Macbook/MBP with these specs for less than $1,888 [shipped]:

17" 1920x1080 FHD

Intel Core i7-720QM Processor 1.60 GHz 6M L3 Cache PGA988

4GB DDR3 1333 SODIMM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX280M 1GB GDDR3 PCI-e

500GB 7200RPM SATA300

8X DVD/RW

Fingerprint Sensor

2.0 Megapixels Webcam

Built-in HDMI Port

Built-in Bluetooth

OS--

-etc.