When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trying to get back into shape. Gave up jogging, started biking.

fcaap_dan

I am an avid road rider these last years.

125 - 150 miles per week.

For me running was never an option.

Riding the road or mountain bike is much easier on the body.

Strength/Cardio seems to work.

The other aspect is the gear. Running shoes....or

shoes, wheels, frames, saddles, components, tubes, tires.

Let's keep this discussion going... cycling is a great low-impact way to get good cardio exercize and the more we age :whistling: the more we all need it.

When you're commuting on a bike it's easy to rack up big miles. I only do about 100 miles a week commuting, but it adds up. I did 20,000 miles commuting on my Marin, now I'm on a Kona 29er and a Pugsley commuting, and the miles just keep stacking up. When I start commuting from the new house it will be 200 miles and 7,000 vertical feet a week minimum.

It's tough to mentally get over the hurdle that "this is how I commute from now on" and not reach for the car keys even when the weather is nasty. But once you're hooked, you don't WANT to drive the car to work. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have recently started doing the same and have been doing about 5 miles most days over the last couple of weeks. I really enjoy this and it is getting much easier.

Here is some good advice, if you are riding a mountain bike on road, change those tyres for road tyres,(cost about

Roadies!? Good to see some bikers here none the less!

I am a MTB'r. I used to work at a shop, was really fit, but got out of it. Decided it was time to get back into shape after hitting a lifestyle wall end of last year. Started eating healthy and got a bike ('09 Gary Fisher Marlin) and hit the trails.

Lost 60lbs since december. :victory:

I agree with most everything that has been said so far...... regarding seats, pedals, helmets, gloves, shorts, shoes etc.

One additional point that needs to be made regarding street riding has to do with cadence.

Have you ever noticed how many recreational riders pedal really, really slowly, and more advanced riders pedal really fast? In general, a faster cadence is better than a slower cadence, irregardless how fast or slow you are going. The reason is that pedalling faster takes pressure off the knees, helps build aerobic capacity, and (over time) extends how far you can go before the legs tire out. Of course, when you are going uphill or into a stiff wind it might not be possible to keep those pedals moving as fast as on a downhill or with a tailwind--but that's why we have shifters and gears to help us match our cadence to our speed, and to make the "work" of bicycling easier. Many riders (my wife, for example) don't shift barely enough, and they really short-change themselves in the process.

If I recall, 80 rpm is a pretty good recreational cadence. You can get cyclocomputers that track your cadence so you can stay in your optimal "zone." But you can also watch others and experiment by seeing how fast you can pedal continuously and still feel comfortable. Before long it will become second nature to downshift when you slow down, and upshift when things speed up in order to maintain an otpimal cadence.

Have you ever noticed how many recreational riders pedal really, really slowly, and more advanced riders pedal really fast? In general, a faster cadence is better than a slower cadence, irregardless how fast or slow you are going. The reason is that pedalling faster takes pressure off the knees, helps build aerobic capacity, and (over time) extends how far you can go before the legs tire out.

As only a 2 year old newly minted recreational biker, I did notice the above and also got the same good advice from some triathlete friends. I wanted to build up my withered partially paralyzed quads and I have a 20% grade hill climb in my subdivision. Takes me 10 minutes to make it up to the top and at first I really put on the pressure and didn't notice the knee joint ache because of the muscle aches, thought they were all related until the latter went away. Did my research, listened to the advice, geared down and now no aches. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

150 miles a week!? That's impressive.

I used to race road bikes when I was a youngster in my 30's.

Got on the Mtn. bike in the early 80's and gained weight.

After a couple of heart surgeries in my 50's, went back to the road and lost 25 pounds,

without changing a thing.

150 miles a week isn't that difficult. 40 on Sat., 50 on Sunday, 30 on Tues and Thur. after work.

Figure your riding 15 miles an hour. Less than 10 hours a week, and you are FIT.

GEAR is important. 5 years ago I bought a Aluminum/carbon fiber combo frame and good components and wheels.

Worked good. WAYYYYYY better than my old steel framed bikes.

Last year bought a Specialized S Works Roubaix. 15.5 pounds, ALL carbon fiber...EVERYTHING...

Size...and weight...DO MATTER.

Cycling (and rowing) are IMO the BEST exercises to keep the weight off, the cardio strong, AND...you get to

do it all outside...YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Running on cement hurts you... Cycling on cement nurtures the soul and invigorates the mind and body.

Live long...and RIDE ON.

• 2 months later...

An update still biking and thoroughly enjoying it. I have put the [censored]blies back on the MTB which I have taken out to a local forest last week 31/2 hours up and down and 3 crashes trying to keep up with my super fit 21 year old son, some blood and sweat excellent. I invested in a new Hybrid road bike (Ridgeback Flight British made) much faster feels great, the milage has increased 10 to 20 on most trips and the weight is moving the right way for once.

:bicycle::bicycle:

I know Nanuq knows this, but if anyone needs motivation to get active, have kids! Seeing the assumption that lots of physical activity is just a part of everyday life, that the car stays parked for days on end, and that the kids assume you'll get around by bike is so motivating to keep that lifestyle going it's great. For my kids to know that driving is something done rarely, and with a specific purpose, rather than part of a lifestyle is very rewarding.

Unfortunately, we bought an old small house close to my work so my commute is only 7km. If I extend the commute on the way home, I can get in 20km a day...nothing really unfortunately. I used to commute 40km a day...that was more productive.

Now, I have a beautiful close to 30 year old custom road bike updated to older Dura Ace STI stuff that I love...but haven't had a chance to ride too much, as I just ride my commuting beater.

More importantly, my wife and I have a fantastic Santana touring tandem with nice Ultegra and XTR stuff (yes on tandems you can effectively mix road and MTB parts) that with kids, we have yet to ride for years. Soon...we'll get the kids started riding the tandem...and then getting on their own bikes.

Big congrats on keeping it going John!! The bonding with your son at that age, doing stuff like that? Priceless. I am sooo looking forward to that. My kids are 75% younger.

Don't worry too much about the weight...worry about how you feel, and how strong you're getting. Muscle weighs more than fat!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think part of your problem, too is running too soon! You should start Walking first........when you feel walking comfortable for 3 miles, then you start walk-jog-walk, same distance. Walk 5 mins, then jog for 1 min. Keep on doing that for a mile....then walk fast the rest........just slowly build your stamina. As you do this, try to increase your jogging time until you could jog for a mile and then walk. Eventually you'll get to a point were you'll be jogging the 3 miles. Incorporate the biking (cross training).....walk/jog then bike.....by alternating, your giving your body a rest from the impact!

Not unless your planning to race or run a marathon......fast walking for 3 to 5 miles is an excelletn exercise! It's also less stressfull to your joints!

Here's some good reads (just a few):

The Benefits and Risks of Walking Versus Running

Exercise! Does running burn more calories than walking?

[url=http://www.runningplanet.com/training/running-versus-walking.html]Run, Don

• 1 month later...

I am not a runner either...I mean as a kid I played tennis and sports like that...but never did track or jogged. Now that I am training for a triathlon, you need to be good at pretty much everything. I bought a new pair of shoes at a running store where they put you on the treadmill and examine your ankles to determine how you pronate. They will tell you what type of shoes you need to put your foot in the correct alignment. THIS is what will get rid of your shin splints...having the proper pair of running-only shoes. So don't give up on the running. Also, I bought the Nike+ system that you can use to log your runs and determine your pace. The stats show that if you can complete 5 runs, you will continue to run. It works with your iPod and automatically uploads runs to nikeplus.com where you can see your progress.

Good Luck,

Brent

+1 on the shoe advice. Runner's World has this system; they not only recommend shoes, but can/will make you a set of custom insoles to put into your shoes to help with if you pronate/underpronate.

I am not a biker. I have my reasons for this, one of which is those retarded outfits that they wear. I am not Lance Armstrong. What I prefer to do, which helps out my run times substantially as well as give my lungs a run for their money are two types of drills:

Run-Swim-Runs

Hill Drill.

RSRs are just that...you run for a few miles, swim 500-2000M, then run back. They'll kick your ass, but that's one cardio workout I swear by.

Hill Drill is a bit different...mine requires a partner to fireman's carry up for part of the drill, but essentially it's sprinting up an extremely steep hill, walking/running back down, and repeating the process. Depending on the hill it can be quite hard.