When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trying to get back into shape. Gave up jogging, started biking.

fcaap_dan

After ballooning up 20 lbs after quitting my day job last year I decided to get into shape. So I tried jogging and it just kills my shins.

So I took my 1997 Trek 6000 that I've had since I was a kid down to get a tune-up, new seat that hopefully won't give me ED, and new shift levers. Rode 1.3 miles yesterday and boy did my legs burn! I didn't think I was going to make it home since it was slightly uphill. I thought I'd have to walk it back home.

I think today I'm going to take it down there for new handles that are a bit higher. I really don't need to be leaning that far forward.

Anyone else a big biker?

I am not a runner either...I mean as a kid I played tennis and sports like that...but never did track or jogged. Now that I am training for a triathlon, you need to be good at pretty much everything. I bought a new pair of shoes at a running store where they put you on the treadmill and examine your ankles to determine how you pronate. They will tell you what type of shoes you need to put your foot in the correct alignment. THIS is what will get rid of your shin splints...having the proper pair of running-only shoes. So don't give up on the running. Also, I bought the Nike+ system that you can use to log your runs and determine your pace. The stats show that if you can complete 5 runs, you will continue to run. It works with your iPod and automatically uploads runs to nikeplus.com where you can see your progress.

The biking...you should probably take a look at some new equipment. The technology has changed dramatically in the last couple of years. Instead of throwing all of your money into upgrades, look for a used carbon bike that is a few years old. It will already have everything you need. Pace yourself in the beginning and don't go all out until you are ready. Also, mix it up a bit, some days long and slow, others short and quick. Pretty soon you will be having an easier time with it so you don't have to walk home. Increase your distance over time. Also, make sure you have the proper tire pressure.

Better yet, sign up for a Sprint Triathlon. Give yourself about three months to train before hand. I guarantee you that once you sign up, you will train because you want to finish and basically not pass out!

Good Luck,

Brent

This bike is too nice to give up on. It suits my needs now.

I think the shin problem is either I'm too heavy, or I'm a heel striker. I tried to land mid-foot and it helps, but still a lot of pain. On the treadmill it isn't a problem, but outdoors I can't do it. I should find a park to run in.

I like biking, but I am trying to get into jogging :p. Never was a good runner (sprinter sure, anything over 200m, nope :p). Working out ok actually, managed 3.6km in 25mins at my second try today :). I'm quite proud haha :p.

As for your running problem, might be the shoes as well?

Agree with xlr8tn a sprint tri is a really good motivation, the run part is around 4k's and can be walked if you don't feel up for the run , and as Neuuubeh mention good shoes are really important and can make a big difference, go to sports shop that looks at the type of foot you have and see what they suggest. ( I really should listen to my own advice)best of luck

ST4

I might have to go to a nice shoe store.

I'm currently wearing new balances since they're the only sneaker I can find in 12 wide.

Went for a nice two mile ride today. Kept the heart rate between 130 and 160 the whole time. So that's a total of 8.8 miles in 6 days. Not a bad start.

Well, I've been on and off with bike training the last couple of years. For me, the 2 most important investments (besides the bike itself) was shoes and shorts. Riding with/without proper bikeshoes is like day and night. When your foot is properly secured to your pedals with good bikeshoes, your riding becomes much more efficient. You can now use your foot to both push and pull the pedals. That way you will be using both your legs and your thighs when you work out.

Second is a good bike short/bike pant with good padding. Nothing worse than riding your bike and having your valuables falling asleep ;) Believe me, I know what I am talking about. Bought my first par of bicycle shorts at the local sports store and paid

Hey! Great advice, thank you! I thought the "personal parts falling asleep thingy" was just something that had to be accepted when riding a bike. :)

Val.

Well, I actually thought so as well. First I bought a really nice seat with thick padding and then I bought some bike shorts. Used this until a buddy of mine make me aware of the fact that the more padding, the more stuff that could press on crucial parts. So now I have a seat with almost no padding and I use the bike shorts described above.

Great advice above. And don't be afraid of the older bike. I have a $5000 custom, full carbon, SRAM Red, Race bike...Funny thing is, I still like riding my 25 year old Schwinn for "around town <20 mile rides". :g:

Invest in a proper fit at your local bike shop. Make sure your seat is not too high. This can put extra pressure on the family jewels as well.

As Admin said, those two investments are gold. If you are not willing to go with clip in shoes, just make sure you ride with a STIFF soled shoe.

Keep the shiny side up. You will be doing a half-century before you know it. :)

Good for you fcaap_dan, keep it up for a quality lifetime. I know this is about biking. But, I was running 5-6 days a week, for 20 years, and nothing to excess normally, usually 3 miles, some 10 Ks, I found I am addicted to endorphins (besides martinis). On my 60th B-day, 1 lateral herniated disc and 2 partial herniated ended that regime. (Age related, not from running but probably lifting too many heavy objects during my lifetime). I of course gained 15 lbs of fat and depressed from lack of exercise induced endorphins. Learning to reuse a few resulting partially paralyzed quad muscles took some time, 2 years later back running same 3 mile course switching off days with biking and some swimming (but only 20 minute durations). If you can, mix it up and don't excess on any one bike, run, weight-lift regime, that was my doctors advice. I agree with all who give you tips on good equipment, clothes, shoes, they all help put less stress on the body. But I would also do a lot of research on proper form and movement. I did that early on when running which allowed me to continue without any running injuries.

For the life of me I can't find the little things you slip your feet into for my bike. Then again, I took them off like 12 years ago. LOL. Maybe I'll buy some more.

Went and bought some actual running shoes today. I'll try them out tomorrow. It's like 90 degrees with 100% humidity right now. They seem a lot softer and more like a sponge than the cross trainers I've been wearing.

Went and bought some actual running shoes today. I'll try them out tomorrow. It's like 90 degrees with 100% humidity right now. They seem a lot softer and more like a sponge than the cross trainers I've been wearing.

The running-specific shoes are a good step forward but you probably have guessed on your shin splints being from how you've planted your foot. One thing that helps, whether you run, jog or trot, if you wear a visor or cap, see if you can keep the visor/cap bill from moving the least amount by smoothing out your gait. Your head & vision shouldn't be bouncing / jarring around, aka "quiet running." That effort will force you to plant your feet properly, reduce joint pounding and make you last longer without pain. And remember, if you are just starting out all over again, there is always going to be pain somewhere the first couple of days, if it continues, that's where you have problems.

Here's a good guide to avoid shin splints, a common occurence for people trying to get back into shape after long layoffs.

All the best of luck, you can do it.

+1 for bike shoes and good saddle.

I am a long time cyclist (and the occasional race) with 5 bikes in the garage, ranging from freebie taiwanese(fixie) to custom Ti. they all have good pedals (look keo) and saddles, to the point where the pedals are worth mre than the bike on the cheapo fixie!

It is important get your bike interface points (saddle/shorts, pedals and bars)dialled it. The rest will look after itself.

And remember, if you are just starting out all over again, there is always going to be pain somewhere the first couple of days, if it continues, that's where you have problems.

That's what I thought too for about the first week. But after 19 miles over 2 months it's not just noobie running pain. I can get to about the end of my block before my shins hurt.

That's what I thought too for about the first week. But after 19 miles over 2 months it's not just noobie running pain. I can get to about the end of my block before my shins hurt.

I am not sure you have the correct running shoes. Running shoes comes in models that emphasize either Cushioning, or Stability / Motion Control. Most people err on the side of cushioning, when a stability model is probably a better fit. (similar to the Gel Bike Saddle argument).

For years I was running with a Nike cushioning shoe. Went to a pro-runner shoe store and found out: 1.) I was wearing a 1/2 size too small for running, and 2.) Needed a stability shoe. I have now been running on Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes for 4 years and Zero pain anywhere -- until they wear out and then my knees tell me its time for new shoes.

I am not sure you have the correct running shoes.

I have now been running on Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes for 4 years and Zero pain anywhere -- until they wear out and then my knees tell me its time for new shoes.

RoninQ:

I think fcaap_dan said he had been running in cross trainers up to this point.

Agree with you on the the type of shoe and your knees letting you know first! - I'm 6'1", 190 lbs, flat feet, light spongy running shoes are just not right for big heavy runners. Been using Asics Gel Kayanos exclusively over 10 years (now on model 15). They are stability for pronation.

Wow, all this fun bike talk and I've been missing it! I agree with most of it, but for offroad I finally got rid of my clip-in pedals. Sure they're nice for zooming around groomed trails but when you're really tearing it up there will always be something to throw you off balance, then when you crash the bike eats you alive. Plus you have to screw down the release springs so tight to stay in, that you can't get out when you need to release vertically. Been there, done that, got the broken bones (seven in one year). I've switched to Kona Primo Jacksh!t pedals and they ROCK.

It's easy to find a low-padding seat with a cutaway center, all good. But you also have to look at the saddle's shape too. Your ischial tuberosities are the bone protuberances you actually sit on, and if the spread or curve of the seat is wrong it can spread them and make your pelvis ache like crazy. Of course a GOOD rider is always standing up while offroad, but that was a couple decades ago. :whistling:

I just use swim jams when I bike. Grammicci shorts are great but when you get sweaty down under, you stay sweaty for the whole ride. Not good. Nylon shorts breathe and dry out quickly when you're up on the pedals.

I know it's not cool and all, but do get a good helmet. I've destroyed several and I can still walk because of it.

Good stiff soled shoes are critical. You'll get hotspots pretty soon without them.

Don't do too much standing riding offroad until you toughen up your calves and achilles tendons a bit. You can do some dramatic damage.

Never wear earbuds offroad. You've got to hear the birds. :thumbsupsmileyanim: They tell you when the bears are near.

Always wear a small, light backpack. Then when you Superman over the bars and land on your back and neck it won't hurt as much when you hit roots. Carry spares, a pump, some quarters, some first aid, a couple snickers bars, a windshirt, and some ID. Toss in a small water bottle. Bring your cell phone, padded inside the windshirt, and leave the GPS feature turned on so they can find you.

Go slow, take it easy and fun, and do lots of climbs. Before a month is over you'll have new legs and your distances will double. Most of all have fun!

I know it's not cool and all, but do get a good helmet. I've destroyed several and I can still walk because of it.

Never wear earbuds offroad. You've got to hear the birds. :thumbsupsmileyanim: They tell you when the bears are near.

A helmet is the next thing I have to buy if I stick with riding my bike. I'm only riding around my neighborhood but that means cars and lots of them. Not to mention down the hill I hit 20 mph.

And I never did understand people that have music playing while they're running or biking. Aren't they afraid a car will sneak up on them?

You got it. Imagine sitting stationary on your bike, then falling over on your side and hitting your head without "catching" yourself. That's a heck of a wallop to the grey matter, and you're not even rolling. Now imagine slamming your punkin into a tree or the side of a car at even 20mph. :ph34r:

Here's the only time you get to ride without a helmet ... on SNOW.

post-32-12499502884_thumb.jpg