When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wishing I Had $28000 Lying Around...

HauteHippie

Wow, very nice! What that puppy needs is a little character. :tu:

+1

To me, although I know it's gen, it looks like a rep, because despite the vintage coloring and details, the condition of the watch is pristine... Gorgeous watch, but personally, I'd want a watch like that to actually look it's age, and actually been used for the purpose intended and seen some action, rather than being pristine. Pristine condition is for new stuff, not vintage :D (and on the flip-side of that, I would appreciate a fully restored vintage car, rather than on old banger :D ) To my way of thinking, this is how a watch of that vintage should look B)

Awwww, what's a little character amongst friends??

dr_wabi_sm.jpg

Hey I love a Nanuq style vintage myself... but this is just a site to behold IMO. It looks like something you'd see Christie's sell for nearly six figures.

Oh I agree, it's certainly a beautiful piece, and indeed, something which will bring a handsome price at auction, I just think a watch like that should have spent the last 30 years doing something other than sitting in a safe ;)

a beauty for sure :wub:

emailed the seller to ask doc's question about whether or not it has any documentation (box, original punched papers, service papers, etc). will post back here with the details once i hear back.

looking at the sales listing brought up a random noobtastic question i've been meaning to ask the guys on the board. did rolex ever release a solid mid-link 93150 (or similar) bracelet? for some reason i was under the impression that they did, but i recently had a conversation with a vintage rolex nut who swore that they didn't. i figured i must have been mistaken, but then my eyebrow raised a bit when the seller of the double red stated "It comes with the original solid link oyster bracelet 9315O in very good condition" :g:

thanks in advance,

deltatahoe

I have seen that watch on the market for months, and the price has dropped repeatedly. A little "too" clean perhaps, which would bring one to question why a watch that clean would have an incorrect insert? This watch doesn't have box or papers either, which brings further questions...

I personally would rather spend a little (or even alot) more on something with a little more solid history, including correct paperwork.

Correct. Take a look at Nanuq's original insert. Compared side by side they're not even close

It looks like a genuine insert, but a modern service replacement instead of an original (or vintage replacement). Similar to what I have on mine (though mine came from PMWF instead of an RSC).

To me, although I know it's gen, it looks like a rep, because despite the vintage coloring and details, the condition of the watch is pristine... Gorgeous watch, but personally, I'd want a watch like that to actually look it's age, and actually been used for the purpose intended and seen some action, rather than being pristine. Pristine condition is for new stuff, not vintage :D (and on the flip-side of that, I would appreciate a fully restored vintage car, rather than on old banger :D ) To my way of thinking, this is how a watch of that vintage should look B)

Took the words right out of my mouth T'J, right down to the automobile allusion.

And too it's odd, if I were to take possession of Bob's watch, I would cherish it for the fact it had been around the block and he were responsible for it's patina. I would wear it in, and continue that vein. But, if I took possession of the virgin piece I would beat myself up for using it in it's intended design and marring it. It takes guts. That would be where Bob comes in. :lol:

That is why I am so glad my one vintage Rolex piece came from a good 39 years, albeit kind service. I get to wear it. I just have to be careful. If it came in the condition of the above Sea Dweller? I may wear it to bed.

Good find Chief. Great thread. Yup.