When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about purchasing a GEN 16750 (GMT Master)....

jkpadget2

Guys,

Need a little help here. I have an opportunity to purchase a 16750 w/pepsi bezel from a local jeweler for $2500. The serial number starts with 66 and after checking references, that would indicate a 1980-81 model with the quick set functionality. It has been serviced by a Rolex AD and also has had the dial redone and a new raised crystal (I believe its mineral) installed. I see some models going for approx. $5k on the 'bay, but want to confirm I may have a deal here. From all indications, it seems that this jeweler does not realize what he has (he indicated it was a late 80's model to me). I have opened it up and inspected the movement, from what I can tell, it is all legit. Please lend me your thoughts.......it will be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Boy, some photos would help here.

A refinished dial will really diminish its value but you can find a replacement unmolested dial for $500 or less. You can also have a new one printed on your blank for not too much from a very VERY good dial guy. It will still be refinished but nearly indistinguishable from the original. Do you even care about this? Is it an investment to be resold later? Or a keeper?

Does it quickset? Meaning does it have the correct movement?

Is it head only or does it come with a gen bracelet?

Does it have any provenance from the AD to vouch for its history?

It should have a plexi crystal and matte dial... are these present?

If all these check out I'd say you have a good deal there!

Photos please?

Boy, some photos would help here.

Agree....I will try and get some tomorrow.

A refinished dial will really diminish its value but you can find a replacement unmolested dial for $500 or less. You can also have a new one printed on your blank for not too much from a very VERY good dial guy. It will still be refinished but nearly indistinguishable from the original. Do you even care about this? Is it an investment to be resold later? Or a keeper?

Im looking at this as a keeper/investment.

Does it quickset? Meaning does it have the correct movement?

It does have the quickset

Is it head only or does it come with a gen bracelet?

Comes with gen bracelet, not the jubilee though.

Does it have any provenance from the AD to vouch for its history?

Not sure on this....will check tomorrow.

It should have a plexi crystal and matte dial... are these present?

It does have the plexi crystal....matte dial is there as well....

If all these check out I'd say you have a good deal there!

Photos please?

I will try my best.

Thanks for the response Nanuq

Edited by jkpadget2

That's an ok price with the bracelet. If it had the original dial it would go for between $3000-$3600. So, you put an original dial on it which will run between $500-$700 dependent on the dealer and you would end up paying right in line with what they are going for all original which your's wouldn't be technically.

Are the hands original?

I'd agree with the others, it is a good price. From a collector's point of view, it's probably just a so-so watch. But at around 28 years old, the tritium will be gone on an original dial. Rolex would put in a new dial and new hands, both with SL. A redone matte dial isn't so bad IMO, mainly because you can't get them anymore, unless you pay around $500 and it still won't glow. Even if you buy the watch and just wear it, you won't lose much money and if you keep it 5-10 years, you should be able to get your original investment back.

Yes pix pix pix, will answer a lot. But if the dial isn't a horrid refinish job and includes a bracelet and been serviced -that's a good price. Even a redial at a few hundred $'s would probably be worth it, matte 16750 dials are hard to come by. Keep us posted.

Now I wish I would have found that good a deal on mine.... My example was north of your deal and only the watch head, but all original with the exception of the more aged insert I recently swapped out.

DSC_1579-1.jpg