When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New and exiting! Whos this f*cking horlogist?

gran

orig.jpg

www.fototime.com/92E25C2ED3E0BEA/orig.jpg

So who is this horological artist

?

Clue: speciality is engraving and actually makes some Megaspectacularlydecorated watches himself

Edited by Gran

Benzinger who else

We have a winner :1a: and now its up to you to come up with the next question in this thread FxrAndy

Yes its our hero Jochen Benzinger

Jochen Benzinger is considered one of the world's best watch artisans for engraving, guilloch

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm guessing, but from that photo, I think the lathe is powered by an engine other than electricity.

Hydraulic drive from a diesel? Or (shock/horror) steam?

Whatever ...it would have a large amount of torque methinks.

Hope someone with more knowledge on these things can chime in and satisfy the need to know!

@Lani, Yes I do believe that article was linked fom here some time back. I remember his hairy headrolleyes.gif

O/S

Someone please explain exactly what is meant by " engine turning". For years I've heard of "engine turned bezels", but never knew what it was.

This is what engine turning is, or should I say produces.

items.gif

Basically as the stock spins in the lathe chuck in move into and out from the tool (this can be a cutter, brush even a piece of hard wood) as it move across it. The speed, depth and distance across the working stock can be controlled to produce different "turning effects". The effects are endless.

Here is a good link for engine turning in the watch industry. This is RGM Watch Company out of Pennsylvania. Check out their videos as they will show you exactly how they work.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

Hope this helps! :drinks: