When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blue Cerachrom Rolex Submariner review.

gioarmani

This is a piece I had inquired about to Hont, about a week ago & just got it this morning--apparently my gf decided to purchase it as surprise. :)

I shot this in natural light, in an attempt to get the pics as close to what is actually present on the watch, in the way of the blue's particular color (robins egg blue). And, yes, it is damn close to gen.

You'll notice the metal might have a bit more of a sheen to it, as I polished it up quite a bit (including some light buffing with rouge on the brushed parts as well), trying to make it stand out more than straight from the box--knowing that the gen is white-gold. I know white-gold in certain light appears to have more of a white luster (like sterling silver), rather than the cooler tones of steel, and while buffing won't change the reflective color, it will change the reflective properties. White-gold--in it's pure form--isn't "white" at all; it's actually a bit yellow. The surface areas of white-gold are generally coated with a layer of rhodium, or palladium (similar to how platinum is often treated), in order to make it appear less brassy and to give it a better sheen (all of your modern Daytona's bezels are coated with rhodium or palladium--the WGs, the platinums, and even the steel versions). So this buffing will hopefully help it to look less like simple, brushed steel.

(I also did a paint-mod on the bezel to get the numbers a bit brighter)

First, popped the back to check the movement. I don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but the case-back die that best fits this piece is the 28.3, which is odd because almost every sub I'm used to takes the 29.5. Oh well--everything looks good there:

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

Next, time to grease the gaskets, to get it ready for water:

IMG_2292.jpg

And now, outside:

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

The crown etching sits nice & straight, as it should, at 12 o'clock (I'm noticing a lot more reps are paying better attention to the way they seat the tubes now; they look much better like this):

IMG_2296.jpg

Nice, thick bezel too--sharply cut:

IMG_2300.jpg

Dial details, a little skimping on the ink (notice the bottoms of some letters), but nonetheless, crisp, nice & sharp:

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

Crystal crown etching properly stippled, and not made of solid lines; aligned perfectly over 6, as it should be:

IMG_2311.jpg

Rehaut appears to be the proper height, and the inscription on the rehaut is engraved--not printed--as it should be. It appears the engraving is slightly askew, but that will be easily fixable by simply shifting the movement a hair to one side, inside the case. Some gens are also misaligned as well--you'd think for $23,000, they might employ someone who knew how to double-check his work through a loupe:

Gen:

Picture2-19.jpg

Rep:

IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

Excellent CGs; accurately sized & shaped--quite nice:

IMG_2327.jpg

Band, clasp, case, and case-back (missing the four case-back engravings on the gen, but that was expected). Clasp markings aren't completely true to gen, but accurate enough--not to mentioned properly engraved, not printed, the way they're supposed to be:

Gen:

IMG_6940.jpg

Rep:

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

Proper diver's extension as well--nice to see they quit using the wrong one found on the older body-style of Subs:

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

Factory lume was as expected too--markers lit up nicer than the hands, and definitely better than the pearl (which needs replacing). Lume faded quick, as expected--I played with a few settings to get teh most accurate-to-life pics I could take, and let me say, they're very close (aqua markers, green pearl, with the hands slightly more blue than the markers)--here are 3 shots, each approximately one minute apart, so you can see an accurate depiction of the glow's intensity and how the peak fades to a color change a little more towards the blue side:

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

Does anyone know--for certain--what color the lume is on the gen? I suspect the same color as the DSSD, in order to accentuate the blue dial & insert, as I think green on the gen (or this) piece simply doesn't match, and would look tacky. Anyone?

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

Well, that's pretty much it for this one. Watch is keeping perfect time after syncing it with the atomic clock's website--hasn't gained or lost a single second since 9 AM (published this review 6 hours later, at 4 PM, EST).

Hope you enjoy; it's truly a very nice piece, and well put together.

Thanks, Hont!

:)

Edited by gioarmani

Absolutely fantastic review :tu: This isn't a watch which has taken my fancy enough to buy, but it was a pleasure to see one so well presented and photographed :good: Some interesting points, you raise as well, such as the bottom of the dial letters being a bit 'light on ink', which I'm sure is only noticeable under macro/loupe inspection, and indeed, the use of a glide-lock clasp. Absolutely top notch review, thanks for taking the time to put it together :1a:

Very nice watch and nice review.

White-gold--in it's pure form--isn't "white" at all; it's actually a bit yellow.

That depends on the manufacturer. Yes in it's pure form it looks a bit yellow because white gold doesn't occur naturally. Most white god nowadays is rhodium plated for that super silver luster. I have had white gold jewelery where the plating wore off and you could see yellow underneath.

I think the polishing does wonders for any SS rep. I polish all of my SS reps with a cape cod to remove dirt. If you look at a gen Rolex the SS is much brighter than the reps even on the brushed areas and the polishing definitely brings it closer.

The white gold Rolex uses however is totally different animal. You will never see yellow on a white gold Rolex. They have a patented process where they manufacture an alloy that makes the gold white the same as their rose gold called everrose. Even common rose gold turns yellow after time but not Rolex's. You will not find rhodium plating on a Rolex yet it will look whiter than any white gold. I think the polished SS gets pretty close. Good job.

You have a great girl there BTW, nice of her to order the watch for you. Last watch I got from a girl was a black dial orange bezel Croton from shop nbc that looked like a PO but uglier. That went back fast and made her cry. Oh well...........

I just read the review in Insync watch magazine, and the lume on this watch should be blue. The article goes over the full specs, and what makes this model different from prior submariners.

tony

Edited by By-Tor
Please don't quote the full post and large number of pictures. Thx.