When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Frankenstein Datejust (16234) Finally Done.

ubiquitous

Just put my frankenstein DateJust back together- For the first time in 3 years, it's running right (for a change). Lots of trial and error with prior set ups- experimenting with movements, etc. all in search of the right combination. Went through numerous different ETAs- 2781, 2836, etc. All had problems with stems lining up, snapping stems, etc. Finally, on the advice that Oli sent me, I installed a 2824, and... Success!

So... Here's my shopping list ^_^

-Genuine 16234 DateJust case

-Genuine dial

-Genuine 18k WG fluted bezel

-Genuine crystal

-Genuine tube

-Genuine 6mm crown (needs to be replaced)

-ETA 2824-2

-Datewheel overlay

-Tudor Oyster Prince hands

-Hollow link Oyster bracelet

-Hollow link Jubilee bracelet

Started with this...

106382-24958.jpg

And now, finally finished with this...

106382-24959.jpg

106382-24960.jpg

106382-24961.jpg

106382-24962.jpg

106382-24963.jpg

106382-24964.jpg

106382-24965.jpg

106382-24966.jpg

106382-24967.jpg

106382-24968.jpg

This was the watch that got me started with frankensteins, and reps on a large scale. It's nice to have finally finished ^_^

Thanks for looking!

R

Thank you, thank you :) This is one I have been back and forth on for a very long time. So, needless to say, I am happy (and quite relieved) to have this one done.

I do have a few things I would like to replace/correct. The crown is chewed up, and the hands have some scrapes on them, so these are items I'd like to revise sometime down the road (no hurry). All in all, I'm pleased to have this one ticking away on my wrist ^_^

I do intend to give this one to my son when he is of age. Ah hell. Who am I kidding? He'll get ALL of my watches at some point, so for now I'll just take care of them as if they were my own ;)

Still kind of in disbelief that this one is, for the most part 'done'. Feels a bit surreal, but only because of the path it's taken to complete it.

Thanks for looking!

R

You are quite the photographer now as well.

That dial looks great!

Thanks, Cray! I must say... It's amusing to look back on my photos from a year ago to compare with pics today. Quite a bit of difference. Still no where near the level of TTK, Pugs or By-Tor, but I'm content with them for now...

:)

Thanks again for the kind words...

R

Guest HeWhoIsLikeGod
Sounds like a patek phillipe ad! (now that would be cool to build) :group:

"You don't actually own a ubi-mariner, you just take care of it for the next generation"

:Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy::Jumpy:

Amazing!!!

I just wonder what favourite Rolly models you have left to build now. I think we can except the GMT Master coming next?

PS: How about updated group shot? ;)

Randy !

the loud thud at home this morning was my jaw dropping... :o

It does NOT take a year to build a Rolex...you want a watch with the same level of craftmanship that really takes a year to complete? get a 'Randex'...!

Congratulations...!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Alex

Heh... Yeah, I know. Sounds cheesy to say 'I'm going to pass this rep on to my son when he's older...' but I'm hoping he doesn't see if that way. Rather, I hope he looks at is as 'a watch that Dad built for me. One that he also loved and cherished.' ^_^

At any rate... These things can be so much fun to put together. It's hard to not think about the next project. So... I'm thinking that it just might have to be the 1675/0 GMT, or maybe a 16622 Yachtie. It's funny... I used to only appreciate the vintage pieces, but I'm starting to warm up to some of the sapphire models as well. I guess I have my Daytona to thank for that.

Or, perhaps it's time to start branching out a little more and go with something non-Rolex :) Not that I know what that something would be. But who knows?

Think it's time to start doing some homework ;)

BTW- For anyone wanting to do a similar project, these DateJust's are super easy to build ^_^

I got my case kit from one of my suppliers, but there are some good, legit sets on eBay as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-ROLEX-ss-Case-ref...1QQcmdZViewItem

Starting bid is $180; I doubt it will go for much more. Add a 2824 ($60), datewheel overlay from luenfat ($20), some Tudor OysterPrince hands ($20), and a strap, and you're set. If you can get the case kit for around $200.00, the total cost of the project would be around $300.00 - $350.00 (always gotta factor for a little more, just to have some error margin on the high end; prices do vary depending where you get the parts from). Not bad for a nice franken that's all genuine on the outside :)