When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replicas... The path to... Gen?!

ubiquitous

Replicas have aided me in deciding on the gens I want without causing me to lose thousands of $$$ by buying the gen. just to find out I do not like it. I have used reps as a "inexpensive trial" so to speak. Instead of buying a piece wearing it for a few months deciding I do not like it and trading it in for a major $$$ loss on another piece, I just buy a rep. I could care less about the accuracy and flaws, regardless how minor or major.

For instance I am turned off by Rolex subs after owning a rep. A sub was one piece I always wanted, bought the rep and after 2 weeks decided it was not at all for me. On the other hand I purchased a rep blue face Breitling SOSF. One week later I went directly to my AD to buy the real deal. Another example, I purchased a rep HBB on rubber strap. I quickly found the rubber strap was not robust enough to support such a heavy piece. After talking with my AD about a gen HBB, he told me that all his customers the bought HBB disliked the rubber strap and bought the bracelet. This reinforced my feelings so I ordered the gen with a bracelet.

No matter how much modding is done to a rep. for me, it is still not the same. Being a engineering, I love all things mechanical and am overly critical of perfection. Even a 100% accurate rep to me would still be a rep and not the real deal. :drinks:

No matter how much modding is done to a rep. for me, it is still not the same.

I agree, although not in the same context as you.

I hold my franken built pieces in even higher regard than any of my gens. Anyone can go to an AD and buy a watch; to actually sit down, research and collect the gen parts needed, then put it all together myself and see it come to life and be able to wear my work knowing the time and effort put into the project... To me, that makes for a stronger sentimental connection than just throwing down cash at a dealer's cash register.

Yet another reason why I don't buy many gens these days...

I hold my franken built pieces in even higher regard than any of my gens. Anyone can go to an AD and buy a watch; to actually sit down, research and collect the gen parts needed, then put it all together myself and see it come to life and be able to wear my work knowing the time and effort put into the project... To me, that makes for a stronger sentimental connection than just throwing down cash at a dealer's cash register.

I can understand that 100%. I would love to build my own piece, I just do not have the time to research and collect all the pieces. I used to dedicate more time to this hobby. When I bought my rep. HBB, I tossed the Asian 7750 decaled rotor and replaced it with a ETA blank rotor that I had CNC machined out to the exact measurements of a gen. I must have spent over 2 weeks on at my CAD station measuring pictures of a gen rotor, and creating it to be machined out. After that I went after the winding bridge removing the decal and had the "H" CNC'd into the bridge. About 1 month of design and machine time I had a exact 1:1 copy of the rotor and bridge. After another month I had the movement torn apart and decorated to original. I enjoyed it greatly, now I have too many other hobbies taking up my time. Maybe I will get back into doing more mods one day. :drinks:

Edited by Bike Mike

I can understand that 100%. I would love to build my own piece, I just do not have the time to research and collect all the pieces. I used to dedicate more time to this hobby. When I bought my rep. HBB, I tossed the Asian 7750 decaled rotor and replaced it with a ETA blank rotor that I had CNC machined out to the exact measurements of a gen. I must have spent over 2 weeks on at my CAD station measuring pictures of a gen rotor, and creating it to be machined out. After that I went after the winding bridge removing the decal and had the "H" CNC'd into the bridge. About 1 month of design and machine time I had a exact 1:1 copy of the rotor and bridge. After another month I had the movement torn apart and decorated to original. I enjoyed it greatly, now I have too many other hobbies taking up my time. Maybe I will get back into doing more mods one day. :drinks:

Now that's what I'm talking about! And to have CAD and CNC resources available at your disposal... That opens up a lot of possibilities with being able to do some great stuff :)

Would love to see some pics of the project if you have them!

I agree, although not in the same context as you.

Yet another reason why I don't buy many gens these days...

Same here :) Just substitute the word 'gen' for 'reps' in my case :D

As you say, it's the satisfaction of building it yourself, that makes a much stronger connection than just making a purchase :)

I'm liking your style :drinks:

I think the closest I'd ever get to a gen (other than anything I might receive as a gift) would be a franken. I've got into building watches too much to take satisfaction from something purchased 'as stock', without any kind of modification involved. For me, reps have shown me that I don't have to spend obscene amounts of money to get a nice watch :drinks:

+1 TJ, Bullseye :good: Mike

Reps lead to gens for me. Would've had a gen eventually either way. This community has only increased my interest in timepieces. I'll always tinker with reps now, and my gen purchases will be much wiser decisions because of you all.

Funny, I want a gen 16610. You know, the watch everyone will always assume is a fake! Ironic in so many ways, isn't it?

Same here Ronin. I love the no-date modern sub! I think it is such a beautiful simple piece. However, I may just go down the path and make one.

I get far more enjoyment toiling over finding the parts and having it built. I totally agree with Ubi about the Franken path. I only have one at the moment, and it is still being worked on, but I feel so much closer to the timepiece than any of my other watches. I don't think I could ever justify the cost of the gen, even pre-owned. I get bored with my things way too easily and I know it would just be a losing investment for me. Just my 0.02

My watch "obsession" has evolved over the years. When I started collecting reps I could never see the point in spending 1000s of £s, $s or shekels on a gen watch, I mean, why would you want to when you could own 10 or 20 reps for the price of 1 gen !!

When I got to the point where I owned 30 reps, I started getting some mods done to my favourites until I suddenly realised that I might actually "appreciate" owning 1 gen more than 30 flawed reps.

I now own 6 gens - 4 Omegas and 2 Breitlings and I still have 6 reps.

If I was brave and skilled enough to do my own modding I would probably have stuck with reps and gone down the "Franken" route; instead I now have gens of my favourite reps !! :1a:

I love the SMP so I bought this Chrono (a bit different from the usual blue dial/blue bezel version):

chrono1.jpg

My first rep was an EL Moonwatch that was Zigmeisterd and I loved it. However every time I saw a gen Speedy Pro in an AD I was drawn to it. Long story short I now have a gen Pre-Moon Speedy Pro from my birth year - '69. I rationalised my rep collection going for quantity not quality (all have now been to the Canadian Spa) and when the urge to buy a watch comes I've satisfied it with a Alpha! Yes I know the purists will be horrified, but hey what the hell, it's my money...

Reps = 5

Gens = 8

Edited by baltic

My first rep was an EL Moonwatch that was Zigmeisterd and I loved it. However every time I saw a gen Speedy Pro in an AD I was drawn to it. Long story short I now have a gen Pre-Moon Speedy Pro from my birth year - '69. I rationalised my rep collection going for quantity not quality (all have now been to the Canadian Spa) and when the urge to buy a watch comes I've satisfied it with a Alpha! Yes I know the purists will be horrified, but hey what the hell, it's my money...

Reps = 5

Gens = 8

Awesome, how do you find they compare to the reps available?

Awesome, how do you find they compare to the reps available?

Well to be honest there just is a certain something about a gen that no rep has (perhaps excepting frankens). I had a seriously modded UPO and now have a gen PO and there is a definite difference and maybe it's a small percentage better interms of 'feel' than a modded rep, but that's what you pay for. The difference between winding the PO and the UPO (and mine had an ETA movement) is phenomenal.

Anyhoo I still like looking at reps online and who knows if one really grabs me I may take the plunge but it'd have to be pretty special as the ones I've got (IMHO) are top notch.

Cheers,

B

Well to be honest there just is a certain something about a gen that no rep has (perhaps excepting frankens). I had a seriously modded UPO and now have a gen PO and there is a definite difference and maybe it's a small percentage better interms of 'feel' than a modded rep, but that's what you pay for. The difference between winding the PO and the UPO (and mine had an ETA movement) is phenomenal.

Anyhoo I still like looking at reps online and who knows if one really grabs me I may take the plunge but it'd have to be pretty special as the ones I've got (IMHO) are top notch.

Cheers,

B

Thanks for the feedback :) Even though I haven't experienced a 'gen' movement, (and I can't remember how smoothly the Swiss movement in my first Sub wound :lol: ) I did notice a definitely difference in the feel of winding the Seagull movement in my wife's DJ, compared to some of the other cheap Subs/GMTs I've owned. Definitely a more solid feeling movement, just an irony that it decided to self-destruct after falling from her wrist :pardon:

Would you say Alpha watches were worth considering as parts donors, or as watches on their own right, or do they give the feeling of something 'trying to be' something branded? (where at least the reps are trying to stick closely to the original) :)

Virtually every gen that I bought and kept was first a rep. The rep time was spent truly falling in love with the design. Interestingly enough, my once 30+ piece gen collection included a bunch of higher end $20k-ish type pieces and I never kept any of them. I'm talking about stuff like a Jaques Droz GMT, an AP Millenary, a full gold UN Diver Chrono, etc. Maybe if there were good reps of them then I would have saved taking a beating on the sales by figuring out they were just impulse purchases that I didn't truly love with all my heart.

Would you say Alpha watches were worth considering as parts donors, or as watches on their own right, or do they give the feeling of something 'trying to be' something branded? (where at least the reps are trying to stick closely to the original) :)

The quality of some Alphas falls short of some 'super reps', particularly if they've been modded. However they allow you to get a feel for the size and style and 'feel' of a watch. For example I'd been undecided about getting a Rolex Exp 1 rep, but just didn't know how it would look like on the wrist. Alpha do an almost exact copy of the Exp 1 and after purchasing it (new for under

The quality of some Alphas falls short of some 'super reps', particularly if they've been modded. However they allow you to get a feel for the size and style and 'feel' of a watch. For example I'd been undecided about getting a Rolex Exp 1 rep, but just didn't know how it would look like on the wrist. Alpha do an almost exact copy of the Exp 1 and after purchasing it (new for under

It is a Venus movement (stupid :animal_rooster: ) however it is often wrongly named as an lemania movement...crasy :bangin:

Hmm, not been on the board for a while, try to help someone and get called stupid....lovely. I bow to your obviously superior knoweldge; I being merely human occasionaly make a mistake.