When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chicken Tikka Masala

vlydog

My wife is Indian and we eat all kinds of cooking but love our curries too.

An interesting point is that CTM is not an Indian dish but was created in an Indian restaurant in England to cater for the milder British taste.

Ken

+1 CTM does not exist in India (How do i know?? In live there! well 75% of the year atleast!)

Take it from me if you like CTM then get on a plane to India and ask for butter chicken at any of the millions of restaurants in delhi (but for the luv of GOD do tell them to make it mild spicy or less spicy!)

Hey TT - man was eating palak paneer last night at a friends place in NY...

An interesting point is that CTM is not an Indian dish but was created in an Indian restaurant in England to cater for the milder British taste.

Actually, it was Scotland, but yeah, you're right about the taste. It was a Scotsman that ordered Chicken Tikka with a gravy in a Glasgow restaurant, so the restaurant took a tomato soup and added Indian spices. Bingo, CTM, the most popular meal in Britain.

The Balti was invented in England, however; Birmingham to be precise.

Oh, and in Glasgow, they don't generally like their curries mild.

Nothing wrong with CTM, but I usually order something from the spicier end. Having said that, CTM makes great lunch when you need to go back to work for the afternoon, if you know what I mean. When you need something less bowel-rending than a Vindaloo, and you can't bring yourself to order the Kashmiri Korma, CTM is there to fill the lunch gap.

i am!!!! partially because... well i am indian :p born here (in US) though...

i made chilli chicken last week... i didn't pick up any naan or paratha ... i only had those extra big tortillas... and they were surprisingly good!!!

try making chilli chicken.. so good

+1 on biryani.

tandoori chicken is also one of my favs..

I have to credit my wife with being such an amazing cook. She is not afraid to tackle anything. Although not Indian, she can hold here own with curry. Her CTM was bowel ripping hot but we both enjoy highly spiced food. When dining in Indian restaurants here in the states we often ask for the food to be prepared extra spicy.

I will have to try biryani; I have never had it.