When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

$1.49 for an Ultrasonic Cleaner

Toadtorrent

I saw this on the Bay Canada (item # 390087639748):

tbh6411.jpg

as a battery powered ultrasonic cleaner for $1.49 + $6 shipping from Hong Kong.

Described as follows:

Product Description

Brand new ultrasonic cleaner!

ON / OFF switch, easy to use

With suction base to avoid slipping when vibrating

Great for both professional cleaning and personal use

Suitable for cleaning:

Electronics component, mechanical part, pen-head, printer-head, watch part, coin, badge, machine nozzle, small silverware;

Glasses, sunglasses, contact lens accessories, optical lenses;

Jewelry, waterproof watch, ring, necklace, earrings, diamond, bracelet and gemstone;

Denture, comb, toothbrush, electric shaver head, razor, and dining appliance;

Tattoo guns and tubes, and piercing tool;

CD, nipple, fruit, anything you can image to clean!!!

Power: 2 X AA battery

Vibrates up to 6500 times / minute

Product size: 7.5 cm in height, 9 cm in width

Container size: 4 cm in height, 8 cm in width

Is this actually usable for watches? For <$10...that's cheap.

We used to sell ultra sound cleaners in jewelry stores .. they weren't expensive but had a little more voltage than this one.. the solution is the key...

but for the price it may be worth a look see... but don't expect it to last long or the batteries either for that matter..

AC

Lani

I saw this on the Bay Canada (item # 390087639748):

tbh6411.jpg

as a battery powered ultrasonic cleaner for $1.49 + $6 shipping from Hong Kong.

Described as follows:

Product Description

Brand new ultrasonic cleaner!

ON / OFF switch, easy to use

With suction base to avoid slipping when vibrating

Great for both professional cleaning and personal use

Suitable for cleaning:

Electronics component, mechanical part, pen-head, printer-head, watch part, coin, badge, machine nozzle, small silverware;

Glasses, sunglasses, contact lens accessories, optical lenses;

Jewelry, waterproof watch, ring, necklace, earrings, diamond, bracelet and gemstone;

Denture, comb, toothbrush, electric shaver head, razor, and dining appliance;

Tattoo guns and tubes, and piercing tool;

CD, nipple, fruit, anything you can image to clean!!!

Power: 2 X AA battery

Vibrates up to 6500 times / minute

Product size: 7.5 cm in height, 9 cm in width

Container size: 4 cm in height, 8 cm in width

Is this actually usable for watches? For <$10...that's cheap.

I've been doing a little research on these myself and that specific kind of ultrasonic cleaner is for dental fixtures.

However if it's big enough you should be able to clean a watch, although unless someone has tested this before I'd recommend just cleaning the band and hand cleaning the watch itself in case ultra-sonic waves somehow damage movements.

So if you have a really cheap movement that works but you wouldn't care if it broke, I'd give it a go.

http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/1113877/how_to_use_an_ultrasonic_cleaner.swf

Edited by OrenG

With rechargeables being possible, it's almost worth the gamble. The ones I was looking at through the watch part/tool wholesalers were listed in the $400-700 CDN range, so this seemed "too good to be true"...but not knowing what's involved in a cleaner, I'm not sure if this is actually adequate for watch work.

However if it's big enough you should be able to clean a watch, although unless someone has tested this before I'd recommend just cleaning the band and hand cleaning the watch itself in case ultra-sonic waves somehow damage movements.

So if you have a really cheap movement that works but you wouldn't care if it broke, I'd give it a go.

If it can hold dental appliances it can hold watch parts. The cleaning is for gears and parts (not the cases or bands themselves...I'm not concerned about those) and would be contained in tiny cages that look like loose leaf "tea balls".

If it can hold dental appliances it can hold watch parts. The cleaning is for gears and parts (not the cases or bands themselves...I'm not concerned about those) and would be contained in tiny cages that look like loose leaf "tea balls".

Well in that case for the money you really have nothing to lose. However if I was going to buy one I'd consider modifying it to accept a dc jack and have it run off of AC via a transformer so I'm not changing batteries everyday.

With rechargeables being possible, it's almost worth the gamble. The ones I was looking at through the watch part/tool wholesalers were listed in the $400-700 CDN range, so this seemed "too good to be true"...but not knowing what's involved in a cleaner, I'm not sure if this is actually adequate for watch work.

your talking about 'professional' cleaners .. the local jewelry stores should carry 'home' units also.. or some of the the jewelry online dealers ... but if your cleaning watch parts.. a certain solution is necessary .. other than the ammonia cleaneer that jewelers use..

L

From the description, I doubt this unit has sufficient power to thoroughly clean disassembled watch parts or assembled bracelets (never place an assembled watch into an ultrasonic), which is the primary reason to use an ultrasonic (my $40 Haier vibrates at 10k/sec - good for bracelets & small cleaning jobs) & my Watchmaster vibrates at 32k/sec). However, for the price, it is certainly worth a few dollars to find out.

If this is to clean jewelery, you can have a try.

If this is for watchmaking, forget about it.

I once baught a cheap ultrasonic from ebay in HK.

Well first it atracted custom attention (first and only time it ever happened to me), and i had to pay taxe.

That cheaper unit was solid stell and certainly more powerfull than the one you picture.

But i didn't found it good enough.

I actually ended up, giving it for free to some menber on rwg1 ...

Now i have an elmasonic, and it's like night and day, of course the price is not in the same range.

Here in france L&R arent on the market, theire solution neither, Elmasonic is the professional brand, and we use Rubisol and F80 as cleaning solution...

So you may have a shot on this one, but beware of large postage coming from HK !

Thanks for all the replies folks. I realize the pro units are full commercial units. I wasn't sure what the proper frequency was for cleaning watch parts and Freddy answered that. RoninQ also suggested attaching an adjustable DC power supply and ramping up the vibrations a bit (shortening the motor life...but at <$10 worth trying).

The issue for me is I wouldn't really know if things were properly cleaned or not. As RoninQ says, I'm no The Zigmeister or Freddy333.

Pfffffffft. A buck and a half? I can go cheaper than that!

1) Prepare your grungy watch parts in a cleaning solution on a convenient table.

2) Buy a sparkly new gen Rolex. Make it real flashy.

3) Bring it home and stand next to the table, and call your wife.

4) Say "Look, Honey! I bought a new Rolex!" and show her the watch.

5) Cover your ears.

Presto! Ultrasonic cleaner. :tu:

Pfffffffft. A buck and a half? I can go cheaper than that!

1) Prepare your grungy watch parts in a cleaning solution on a convenient table.

2) Buy a sparkly new gen Rolex. Make it real flashy.

3) Bring it home and stand next to the table, and call your wife.

4) Say "Look, Honey! I bought a new Rolex!" and show her the watch.

5) Cover your ears.

Presto! Ultrasonic cleaner. :tu:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

why am I laughing .. it would be true .. :huh:

I doubt that it will do much other than soak the parts, but at that price you ain't got much to loose! The part that seems strange is it needing suction cup feet so it won't "slip". Ultrasonic cleaners vibrate at a, well, ultrasonic rate. I know mine emits a sort of high pitched squealing sound and produces absolutely no vibrations. I have a heavy-duty Harbor Freight unit that heats the solution and is all stainless steel. Seems I remember it being about $130 or so. Never tried it on a watch but it did a good job on a couple of motorcycle carburettors!

Edited by jmb

There seem to be a lot in the $40 range including shipping that sit around the 40khz range...so those appear to be better.

I wasn't sure what the frequency was for cleaning...at 40khz...it might be that of the New Rolex Scream.

you could probably shake a cleaning jar and get more out of it than the battery operated thingamagig... :lol:

L

Don't underestimate me Lani...I can shake a jar pretty !@#%#@ hard!!

I didnt' realize the frequency delta was that large...didn't find any info initially on cleaning frequencies...and with the knowledge and talent here, I knew I'd get the 411 on it from the fine folks here...and some bonus info from Bob of course. :)

Yeah, something in the 40 dollar range should do the job. Mine was aprox US30 and it's just enough for bands and maybe MVT parts. It won't do a print head perfectly for example and would have no hope on a fuel injector. The real good stuff starts at around 100USD. Somthing around that price will do any watch job you could come up with.

Col.