When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex No-Date Sub 14060 @ ETZ!

redwatch

Chris is 100% correct that if all dont agree as to what we want its not going to happen in the first place. Here is what I think we should have. Lets all agree on this asap bearing in mind that we cannot ask for 100% perfection.

1) V3 as base model

2) Clarke crystal

3) 14060 dial (of course)

4) Correct bracelet with a FLUSH and perfect fit between the end lugs.

5) Recessed insert with WM pearl

6) Choice of movements

If above is done right we will have a great watch. I want one with a gen ETA.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) V3 as base model

2) Clarke crystal

3) 14060 dial (of course)

4) Correct bracelet with a FLUSH and perfect fit between the end lugs.

5) Recessed insert with WM pearl

6) Choice of movements

7) Correct lug holes and fitted with 2mm springbars.

Sorry...missed my most important point...MUST have the correct sized springbars/lug holes!

Chris..If you can do all this I THINK you can charge that bit extra you need to get it done. The end result will be ala BK with his fully modded Subs. However you can buy a good rep sub anywhere.......YOU will be the sole sourse for the 14060!

If the lug holes add significantly to the cost then I would say to pass. As long as there are existing holes it's pretty easy to drill them larger.

I agree. Drilling them is no problem with the right bit....but I have had NO luck drilling in cases that have no lugholes. I used the right cobalt bit and punched the case for a starting point. I mount the case (I practiced on and old Sandoz Sub case and a bad rep Sub case) up in my drill press and ruined both of them. The bit would start dancing around and wouldn't even start drilling. They usually broke. I tried oil and different bits...no luck. :wounded1:

predfan, you have more "grit" than I, I would have given up long before that! Locating and drilling "non existent" holes is kinda tricky and you need the right equipment. OTOH, enlarging existing holes can be done with a hand drill if careful and patient, although I probably wouldn't do 'em that way. There are a couple of tutorials around that describe enlarging. Now, if the factory will make the existing holes the correct size for, say, maybe $10 - $15 then I would say to go for it. If we're talking $10-$15 per hole, then I'd just as soon do it myself.

Chris, maybe take a different angle with the factory, especially if they are the ones actually making the case and pride themselves on authenticity - convince them that if they made ALL of their "lug-hole style cases" with the correct hole size it would enhance their credibility and likely increase demand for their product. If you could convince them of that then it might even be done at no cost. I know if I, as a manufacturer, could modify an existing operation (at little or no cost to myself) that would generate more demand for my product I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, maybe that's just my view of the process...

I agree we should take care of our own lug holes since the pilot holes are already there and help keep costs down. You could probably even enlarge them with a pinvise. As for the engraving between the lugs I rarely see mine so re-engraving may raise costs, if not, then yeah reengrave them 14060, more of an issue for people who are planning this for a nato strap i suppose.

V3, Clarks, proper endlinks, 14060 dial COSC or NON COSC to be voted on?, choice of movement

noobdials cost about $10 but im not sure the size of the order required for that pricing

I think we could have a better dial created than the WRM4009 dial jmb is talking about, maybe even a noob without the date window. I've checked out the watch eden one as well. it's decent but I feel we could do better, especially with the "swiss made" print.

Chris could the noob factory create their dial with out the date window punchout and an extra hour marker?

is this a good option?

Hi Guys, thanks for your input once again.

Please don't get me wrong, however You guys have to understand, that what you guys are wanting isn't what the factory wants or cares, it is the same as going to APPLE store and asking them to create a custom Iphone, just because you or maybe 10-100 of you want to have one, and you think it is a cool idea and would benifit their company... do you think they will say... YEA awesome, let's do it! If it were that easy, I would have create the nicest or fixed up the nicest reps for you.

The factory like the noobfactory are HUGE, I mean huge, underground and in most cases you don't talk to the big boss, there are only few that we do talk to, but in most cases you talk to their agents (just like in a real company) they will sort out your request etc. Asking for them to create a new dial simply because we want one, is basically a no-no to ask. You can't either request for just dials from them, like I want to have 50 noobdials, altho I have pulled it off in the past.

The same counts for lugholes in the V3 case, the factory making them is really huge, it makes OEM parts for LG, APPLE, etc... they make molds for SEIKO, and are are really good and big, don't think they even slightly care of making lugholes bigger, and again I am not in contact with them I am in contact with MBK boss, who is in contact with them. So I can ask MBK he can ask the factory, but also he has to "respect" the factory wishes as MBK told me himself personally, the reason why MBK/MBW product line come up is... because MBK once helped a key-fig back in the day, who was again friend/family to the owner of that factory and hence was more or less a favor for what MBK guy did (he's a really nice guy)... MBK said, that in comparison his mbk/mbw line is a piece of dust in comparison to what they do, so their is no real leverage. I do not know wheter the produce all his products all is just bit and pieces of info puzzeled together, (I know they produced the vintage cases, perhaps also the dials, other parts he might have other connection may i add). Besides that MBK has made already the cases and has perhaps 500 cases in stock, already engraved (this engraving can be sanded off tho) and already with lugholes, so do you guys think it is in his best interest to stir up alot of trouble making holes slightly bigger, and sending cases back to and from the factory, or even changing his design alltogether? We haven't even signed up 30 people yet!! so... please do understand the other side of the cookie... that is why it is not easy to be a good dealer as you are in between factory wants and the clients wants, you need to respect both and come to a mutual (comprimised) agreement. I really want what you want too... but I am talking in terms of realism, the way this game is played... if I were to have my own factory then.... :whistling:

Anyways I think lugholes making them bigger we have to have an RWG member for now on this job, just drill them bigger (ppl can send their cases or I can send the cases to you), it can create a good business oppurtunity for experienced modder... or maybe one of you guys want to work together.

About the dial from JMB

So what we do, and what others do in these cases, is find a different factory one that makes dials, and ask them to create this dial... with either a pic or a sample (gen/rep) dial, good factories won't do it for under 500 dial orders. We cannot ask the noobfactory to do them, we can use their dial as a base if you want... if you guys think that is a good dial.

I think perhaps the NON-COSC would be in favor for most members.... then later if there is enough interest we can make an COSC dial and we can upgrade the overal base watch in time... who knows if there is huge potential members, why not redesign it perfectly... all is possible with time, funding and enough clients... it just have to be worth the while for all involved..

Lets sign up some more people tho...or all will be a nice thought, we CAN DO THIS :yu:

Edited by EuroTimez

I agree with you on all of the above, Chris.

One thing though, I didn't realize that the noob factory made a no date dial- I'd be interested in seeing just what it looks like.

Here's a COSC, new from Bernard Watch- lugholes, 93150 bracelet, looks like sans serif printing on the dial to me:

http://www.bernardwatch.com/watch/RLX4126

alligoat, what I got out of Chris' response is that Noob doesn't make a no-date and he can't really ask them to make out but could use theirs as a model for somebody else to make them. I think the non COSC version would "enhance" the simplicity of the product... I'm not sure how much per dial a "custom" would cost but it's probably a scary number as well as a large quantity! If a "stock" item could be found that was "correct enough" it would help the project along considerably both in time and expense. It doesn't hurt my feelings if nobody likes the dial I posted (some do, some don't) I was just tossing it out as a possibility

I think he's also hinting that we have to be realistic about this or it might not even get off the ground. :( Since we are a fairly small "consumer group" from a numbers standpoint that we don't have any clout with any manufacturers and if we get pushy they might poke us in the eye with a sharp stick, figuratively speaking of course! :black_eye:

It's a rep. I'd like to have one as accurate as is feasibly and economically possible, but in the end it is still a rep and as such I have come to learn (via these various fora) to accept that it can never be perfect...

But, hey, my ETZ V5 DSSD is in the mail so life is sorta good!!!

Chris, PM me if you want to look at a very large macro photo of the dial and I'll take one. I only have one dial (has feet that fit a21j movement) but if it would be suitable we can probably get them in quantity for a very reasonable price. But, I'm not a guru like a lot of the people involved in this thread so I really don't know if it's a passable dial or not. It is the same as the dial that's in my project in the "I have joined the Submariner "No-Date" club..." thread.

highoeyazmuhudee, I may be wrong but I got the impression (somewhere above) that there was no "no-date" Noob dial and getting them to make one is likely a non-starter. I'm gonna build me another one using the dial I posted above...

• 3 weeks later...

Are you kidding me... I would absolutely love a great no-date Sub rep. Can't think of a nicer watch, really.

But non-SELs, lugholes and proper dial is a must... if these can be done I can see a huge sales potential for this. The engraved rehaut on the reps is also a total deal killer for me. The engraving never looks correct and it's a downgrade on the gen as well... really stupid addition in every way.

The engraved rehaut on the reps is also a total deal killer for me. The engraving never looks correct and it's a downgrade on the gen as well... really stupid addition in every way.

100% in accord with you! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But non-SELs, lugholes and proper dial is a must... if these can be done I can see a huge sales potential for this.

+1