When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crownguards

Maxfly

This is partly due to the factories' lack of detailed knowledge of watch models.

For example, the MBW 1665 case has the famous "droopy" crown guards and the 9:00 side of the case slopes inward toward the top. The gen case has neither of these details.

But my gen 1680 is exactly like this, so if they used that case as the basis for the 1680 and 1665, the Sea Dweller is going to be wrong.

Just an example. Why are the crown guards so fat and chunky? Well, look at this and tell me if the MBW crown guards (front) are close to gen (back). These CGs are straight from Maria's smoke stained hands:

back1.jpg

Hi Nanuq,

In your case I can imagine that the factory makes a mistake ( beautifull watches BTW) but with an "ordinary" Submariner or late model seadweller it should't be a problem in my opinion.

That's why I don't understand the names Ultimate, supreme etc if the cg's are not even close to the gen!

I ordered a WM9 at PT, i think it's a V1.

By-Tor, do you know how the cg's are on the V1?

Yes I do. I reviewed that watch. Read the article here.

They are not as good as v2 but they're easily modifiable. I modded them myself and they became fairly accurate.

Gatchaman might be onto something otherwise why would they release a new version that "fixed" one thing but "broke" something else that was correct on the previous model?

Case in point: Rolex Milgauss replica. Why is the rehaut so wrong on the 40mm when the 42mm (totally wrong size!) is correct? Its reasons such as this that I gave up on getting a rep of it (and all other reps) and decided to build a Franken of the Datejust instead. IMHO, the best rep is a Franken (pseudo-rep?) made with all gen parts but using a generic Swiss ETA movement. You could even add the gen movement later (with proper hands)...and have a super Franken...which, is essentially a "restored" gen.

Grinding down a rep case, AR'ing the crystal, reluming, changing crown tubes, etc... will never get you close to a gen. (My FrankenJust even has an authentic Rolex serial number that allows me to trace its history. Try that with a rep!)

So that the factories can try and argue in court, that they have not produced a 100% identical item... :whistling:

Its not a question of 100% accuracy or not. Its the fact that companies are using registered trademarks to sell merchandise. For example, in the replica clothing market, one can easily find Gucci, Dior, D&G clothing that is nothing like what the particular company actually sells. Those aforementioned labels (just like watch companies) hate the counterfeit market whether or not the item is 100% to the original or not.

Also, you think Swatch AG is going to take Fung Dung Wu Heavy Industrial Corp., which is a subsidiary of Yamaha Corp., to court? Not bloody likely. But, Swatch AG would take legal action if reps of their product were being sold as legit watches in legit stores beside other legit merchandise.

Edited by Gatchaman

Due to the dimension of the Rolex 31xx movements vs any of the clones or Eta's you can have the correct rehaut depth or the correct crown position and guards or the correct case thickness. You can't have all of them, The non-rolex movements just don't allow this. The winding stem on the Rolex movements is substantially closer to the dial then any of the alternatives.

If we ever get the long rumored / wished for 31xx clone movement or another movement with the correct stem position then we'll see these issues solved, until then don't hold your breath, you just can't do it.