When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

Admin

Just thought I'd post some "breaking news" from Norway. The Nobel Committee announced Obama as the winner just minutes ago.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said as the prize was announced.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

So far, it only looks like BBC has the latest on this, but more will follow, I am sure of;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8298580.stm

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh for heaven's sake.

"his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples"

I had to roll my eyes on this one. The first thing that came to mind was this internet forum. The Admin. here are more proactive in strengthening international ties than the US President. Honestly.

He has my support for the office he holds and my gratitude. The world is so freaking gaga he could march into the Sudeten with a column of Panzers and get a ticker tape parade.

He's an intellectual man. This must be taking his humility to the brink. I would only hope.

To borrow a quote - Stop the world, I wanna get off. :bangin:

I hope everyone is aware that the Nobel award committee does not just pick a winner out of the newspaper - candidates (or someone working on their behalf) must submit themselves to the committee in order to be considered. :whistling:

So, when the waiter returns, someone grab the check. I have had more than enough. :yuk:

The Nobel Peace Prize stopped being relevant quite some time ago.... right around the time they started handing it out to terrorists. It's a "feel good" award which, if it had to do with actual accomplishments, many previous winners would have been unqualified to receive... and the current recipient... well, you tell me. ;)

:whistling:

nobelcrackerjack.gif

OMG! Too funny!

You know, Alfred Nobel, industrialist and the inventor of dynamite among other things, stated in his last will and testament; the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.

Uh oh. If President Obama had refused the award I would have a shred of hope. I'd hate to be the last guy out of Afghanistan. It will be off an embassy roof by helo. Somebody pop the red smoke. Those guys are offically on their own.

No wonder the world loves this man's politics. He's bringing the US down to levels.

The Republicans left the Left an economic mess. The Democrats are going to leave the Right a nuclear one.

Israel is so 'done'. Now.

:whistling:

nobelcrackerjack.gif

beat me to it. Can I have a Nobel prize as well? I bought a watch does that count?

"The Republicans left the Left an economic mess. The Democrats are going to leave the Right a nuclear one."

Oh I disagree strongly sir, do you not remember the Carter and Clinton years? If I recall correctly they were the ones who forced the banks to lend to people who couldn't pay them back. It just so happened that it all came tumbling down during the Bush years.

However I agree that the Republicans might have a nuclear problem on their hands, however I seriously doubt we will abolish all nukes nor even any.

Edited by OrenG

Israel is so 'done'. Now.

Not so fast, Demsey. Admittedly, while the only thing Barack Hussein Obama is likely to do (in response to Iran's nuclearizing) is wring his hands in bewilderment as to why the Iranians did not keep their word, the Israelis, on the other hand, will do what they need (& the US ought) to do. =@

The $64,000 question is what Obama will do then? My guess is he will dim the White House Xmas tree lights (to show his concern), call for yet another round of sanctions (which have never worked) & propose more talks. President Wilson got us into WWI with that kind of thinking. I wonder what President Obama will get us into?

I think the fact that we can award someone a prize for something they have yet to acccomplish just makes America more of a laughing stock to the rest of the world. This is ridiculous.

Well it's not America's fault that Obama received the award. This doesn't say anything about America at all. But what it does do is diminish the meaning of the award itself and the credibility of the left wing radical panelists who are responsible for distributing it, if having previously given it to a known terrorist wasn't enough already. Did you know that they nominated Obama for the award in January, before he was even inaugurated?

But at least the scientific side of the award still (by outward appearances anyhow) carries with it real distinguished accomplishment. Eg., nobody is receiving the award for simply intending to find a cure for cancer.... yet anyhow. But why do I get the feeling that the global warmists could change all that? :whistling:

Wow, if what everyone has said so far is true, then I nominate 50 Cents for the award. He's brought more smiles to inner city kids than Obama, I'm sure!!!

Now back to reality... I'm more than shocked that they would award this to Obama. I won't get into the politics of it all, but it just seems to me that this is the way of the world these days. It's not about accomplishments that earn rewards, but just showing up. Sure, trying deserves a pat on the back, but this is just over the top IMHO.

z