When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

There's vintagizing and then there's vintagizing

Nanuq

I ran across some photos on VRF showing Superdome crystals that have been crazed from UV exposure. They're fascinating, but I'm not real sure I like them. Thoughts?

0003.jpg

panerai3646-5.jpg

6538crazedcrystal.jpg

5039-1.jpg

This photo barely shows how the crystal on my Sharkie is starting to do the same.

sharkie_300.jpg

Freddy, I don't know if you remember but a few years ago we were talking about how aged crystals took on more and more of an amber tint. Someone (IT WASN'T ME!) subjected a Superdome to some crazy intense UV at his job and reported that after about 30 to 40 hours he started seeing this crazing but no color change. He told us "Stop! Stop! It's ruining the crystal!" and little did we realize... :whistling:

Fascinating, eh??

Freddy, I don't know if you remember but a few years ago we were talking about how aged crystals took on more and more of an amber tint. Someone (IT WASN'T ME!) subjected a Superdome to some crazy intense UV at his job and reported that after about 30 to 40 hours he started seeing this crazing but no color change. He told us "Stop! Stop! It's ruining the crystal!" and little did we realize... :whistling:

Fascinating, eh??

Yes, I remember that now. You may be right. But I also recall that the light source generated heat, which may have been the catalyst that prompted the cracking. Either way, I agree with the others - when the lens gets cloudy, it is time to change the lens.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. A freezer is actually not cold enough, they only go down to zero or so. What's REALLY a hoot is getting out in a hot tub, then jumping in the -20F snow, then back in the hot tub. The snow instantly freezes to the crystal (and your bum) then it melts right off again. And... it's never cracked or caused a failure in a plexi crystal for me.