When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica Rolex Movement?

Rxus

I truly believe they could, since they've replicated the 2892 pretty well. However those designs are publicly sold on ebay, without repercussion from ETA. Selling a knock off Rolex movement you'd probably be sued the second you refresh your auction listing. Only market would be the rep one, and not enough people would care or even know any better to warrant the building of an underground movement for use in these watches.

Looks like Josh is now selling an updated Milgauss with this movement dropped in it, for like, close to 3 bills.

Very interesting. This movement has the balance bridge of a Rolex 3135, but only 25 jewels, not 31 like the 3135. Don't know why they call it the 3131. Parts of it look like an eta 2836 to me...

It might be fun to get one of these and send it to the Zigmeister for dissecting!

I guess I stand alone in viewing these lame attempts at mimicking a Rolex caliber by replacing a couple of parts on a partially decorated ETA as silly. The only people who will see it are the owner & his watchmaker (who will know, instantly, that it is not a Rolex caliber). :rofl: What is the point? I hope people are not paying extra for this. :shock::bangin:

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing actual replications of 157x's, 3035's and 3135's sometime down the road. They can duplicate a 7750; a relatively simple Rolex caliber shouldn't be too terribly difficult to do in comparison, methinks.

You know where the real money is...in making replacement parts for all the older caliber movements. If you tooled up and started producing these movements and made the parts available, you would make a fortune.

This stuff is impossible to get, I don't know why no one has thought of tooling up and making all of the classics, 1030, 1530 series, V23, V72, etc... Surely the patent has long expired on these many years ago...

And I agree freddy, what's the point or purpose, finish is nice, but it's not important when you can't see through the caseback.

You know where the real money is...in making replacement parts for all the older caliber movements. If you tooled up and started producing these movements and made the parts available, you would make a fortune.

This stuff is impossible to get, I don't know why no one has thought of tooling up and making all of the classics, 1030, 1530 series, V23, V72, etc... Surely the patent has long expired on these many years ago...

Ditto. I can kind of understand why we have not seen Asian-made Valjoux chronos (very complicated movements), but the 1030-based calibers are some of the simplest movements around.

Now that we have cheap/accurate 7206 bracelets, I can only imagine the trouble we could get into if we had access to a supply of cheap/accurate 1030s. Or, dare I say it, a 1030GMT. :blink:

And I agree freddy, what's the point or purpose, finish is nice, but it's not important when you can't see through the caseback.

With these mimic movements, I think it a good thing that you cannot see through the caseback.

The experts have chimed in, and I thank them all.

But not that it matters to me personally, I only imagine that after the great lengths some members go to in order to make their replica watches (mainly Rolex watches) I think it makes sense to feel the same passion for the internal mods.

Lets face it, no one can spot the minimalistic details we worry soo much about, yet we correct them and the same applies for the movement in all honesty.

I'm sure there is money to be made, otherwise it wouldn't have been done.

seems odd that the milgauss with this movement is priced so much higher than the asian version. Is this movement really any better or different? Has the case been re manufactured with the proper crown height? Looks like there is a GMTII coming with the same movement as well. The crown position looks the same to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing actual replications of 157x's, 3035's and 3135's sometime down the road. They can duplicate a 7750; a relatively simple Rolex caliber shouldn't be too terribly difficult to do in comparison, methinks.

heard this is in the works...

AC

L