When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Omega Seamaster 300

chrgod

Replicas of vintage Omegas are not everyday stuff.. The only one I can recall was a rather weird Seamaster "Omegamatic" which was around some years ago.

Rather good replicas of the vintage Omega Seamaster 300 have been around on eBay and special dealers for some time, but this is the first time I have seen one at one of the main dealers!

http://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?categoryID=286

OMEGA-2009-10-20-04-02.JPG

Classic Non-date version

OMEAG-2009-10-20-06-01.JPG

Date-version

OMEAG-2009-10-20-06-04.JPG

Caseback

Dialfonts and caseback looks a bit odd, but the overall style is there. And, I guess they have used a Speedmaster case. At least the price seems rather good? :)

There is an interesting guide for "How to spot a fake Vintage Seamaster" on eBay. The guide was created way back in 2006, so this fake has been around for some time.:

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Spot-a-Fake-Vintage-Omega-Seamaster-300_W0QQugidZ10000000000958528

Another "Spotters Guide" is on Scubawatch.org "Hall of Shame":

a Spotter's Guide to Fake Seamaster 300s

Maybe there will be more vintage Omegas.. I hope for a pie-pan dial Constellation! :lol:

Hmmmm... That's an interesting thought; it could very well be the same base as the PO case, minus the He Valve notch and with a more shallow rehaut.

If you look closely, you can see how deep a PO's rehaut is...

IMG_5693.jpg

Whereas a gen 165.024 has almost no rehaut (it's very slim in there- The edge of the dial is framed by a small metal ring, but that's about it):

IMG_5695.jpg

Compare with the new rep:

OMEGA-2009-10-20-04-02.JPG

The rep has a small, shallow rehaut, but no ring around the dial.

Seems like it has surfaced at the cartel dealers also.

Interesting to see that while PT have the usual Chineese 2836-2 clone, PerfectClones sells with a "Swiss" Insignia Nickle Plated Eta 2824-2.

The nickle plated movement with decorated rotor is a good looker. :)

7.jpg

nice and somewhat tempting,,,but there just seems (imo) something paradoxical about buy a vintage replica. On another post I pointed out that I just picked up a vintage Doxa 300t and paid 1200 (usd), a great price....In every way possible I could have paid 300-500 and picked up a far supiorior watch, better more reliable movement,,better lum,,,more wr, etc. The point (imho) in being tempted by vintage is the actual history of the watch.....which might be impossible to replicate without a time machine.

Omega3007.jpg

I'm very tempted by the rep, but this (and the delicate, skinny lugs) is the reason why I'd like to find a gen SM300 someday. What a good-looking movement!

I could probably live with the terrible caseback -as long as I didn't have to look at it!- but how hard will it be to change the seconds hand to a white one? I also wish they'd offer a non-date 3/6/9/12 model.

Edited by LHOOQ