When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Life in Alaska - Part XXIX

Nanuq

You just can't make this stuff up. A bear attacked this guy's plane while he had it parked on a remote landing strip. When I say "remote" I mean they're lucky to have gravel on the tundra. The guy hadn't cleaned out the plane after a long fishing trip and the bear smelled it. :ph34r:

So the guy had 2 new tires, 3 cases of Duct Tape and several rolls of cellophane delivered, then he repaired the plane so he could fly it home.

Piper Super Cubs ... they take a licking (literally) and keep on ticking. :tu:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

what you Alaskans won't do so ya dun havta walk home :nea:

:yeah: No kidding!

But consider that between the remote strip and home, it might be 1,000 miles and, oh, 1,000 bears. :ph34r:

Yeah, that's nuts! A case of beer waiting for the pilot who returned that plane to service!

But there's a 'rest of the story here'. There were two hunters on the plane. Because of the "will she or won't she?" aspect of continuing the flight, one guy stayed behind. He was attacked by the bear who came back to the Piper Buffet for seconds................You'll have to scroll way down to give you the chance to bail on the thread, the pics are pretty graphic and explicit; 'weak stomach alert!'

bear-attack_explicit-photos_4.jpg

bear-attack_explicit-photos_3.jpg

bear-attack_explicit-photos_2.jpg

bear-attack_explicit-photos_1.jpg

The horror. The horror. :lol:

That's brutal.

It reminds of four Yorkshiremen:

fouryork2.jpg

Oh, we used to dream of flyin' in a plane made of duct tape. Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to fly in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a bear's load of rotting fish dumped all over us! Plane? Huh. Luxury.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

What would happen if I tried to pet HIM, Nanuq? I think I can take this one down!

bear-attack_explicit-photos_2.jpg

I think you could take that little rascal home and sit him on your lap and he'd make one heck of a fine house pet.

Until his mama ate you. :ph34r:

bear_sleep.jpg

Every time I see polar bear pics I get real [censored] about global warming!

The situation in Hudson Bay in particular is getting real bad for the poor things.

A world without polar bears would be so much poorer for it.

I have some beautyfull etchings on marble by Alasken artist Bob Dale of a momma and cubs

that I bought at World Expo 88 here in Brisbane that I must try to photograph sometime for one of these bear threads.

Col.

Every time I see polar bear pics I get real pissed about global warming!

The situation in Hudson Bay in particular is getting real bad for the poor things.

A world without polar bears would be so much poorer for it.

I have some beautyfull etchings on marble by Alasken artist Bob Dale of a momma and cubs

that I bought at World Expo 88 here in Brisbane that I must try to photograph sometime for one of these bear threads.

Col.

Col, I hear ya. It would be an absolute crying shame to lose the polar bear. They're THE apex predator and genetically distinct. There's just no replacing them.

However, I don't think you need to worry about it. Populations increased from ~7,000 in the late 70s to ~25,000 now. All the best recent studies differ a little in the numbers, but there are approx. 21 distinct populations in the arctic, and approx. 59% of those populations are stable, or increasing in numbers. Many of the rest are simply "unknown". They are notoriously hard to count, but the "man on the ground" who lives and breathes there can tell you there are plenty of them around.

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba551/

Let's see those carvings! I bet they're magnificent.

Yes. We have a cpl of wedge tails nesting on the property. You can drive up to them eating road kill and stop alongside, they just glare at you, no fear.

Col.

Amazing creatures.

eagle.jpg

Punk rock!

wedgetaileagle.jpg

Most of the nastys in FL, as dangerous as they are, will run away rather than fight. Theres speculation that one of the trails I mountain bike in is home to a FL. Panther. You know your done if you see one of those.

Not the first time it's happened, won't be the last. I have a friend that had this done to his Ford 1-ton Econoline van, bear tore the side cargo door completely off. A trans-Alaska trip would be a hoot, don't worry about the bears, just keep a clean camp.