When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer 1016 / dail ref. 5500 Project

lanikai

After viewing LHOOQ's thread yesterday .. I became rejuvenated in my 1016/5500 Expl. project.. I've had the MBK rep for about a year.. and shelved it in trying to decide on the dial ...

So I don't just plagiarize or totally get the facts wrong this is a great write up (as usual) by James Dowling regarding the history of the Explorer and the differences in the dial..from "Precision" ~ "Superlative" ..

Expl. I "Precision" by J.Dowling

Genuine 1016 "Superlative Chronometer" .. Ref. 5500 dial below

explorerangle1.jpgjts7027p160e.jpg

MBK 1016 the dial is done fairly well .. imo the Arabic numbers could be a bit fatter though

exploreriproject003.jpg

NDT 5500 dial I'm leaning toward swapping this dial

exploreriproject013.jpg

I'd like to get a little thicker padding in a honey tan gator strap.. this one is a little bit to thin..

exploreriproject014.jpg

The lugs need resizing,.. I may stick with the rep crown..

exploreriproject020.jpg

Genuine 1016

explorerwholewatch.jpg

A few more shots of the rep..

exploreriproject023.jpg

exploreriproject022.jpg

The rep crystal is a little too soft.. it needs a Tropic or a better after market one

exploreriproject016.jpg

the case is a little smaller than I'm used to .. but this rep. makes for a nice simple dress watch ..imo

exploreriproject021.jpg

exploreriproject025.jpg

Thanks for viewing

AC

Lani

thanks TJ.. yes, more padding and weight .. and "Honey tan".. thought's on that ?? I think that would bring out the dial nicely.. ??

AC

Lani

I wouldn't have immediately thought of a honey tan strap for that watch, but, now you mention it, yes, I think it would bring out the dial quite nicely, and probably give it a slightly less formal tone, although still 'smart' :good:

Hmmm, somebody filed off the CGs!!! Very streamlined and I would think "casual" but classy looking. :good:

Low profile case, my man, so no need for filing the CGs :tu: I have to admit, I think the low profile case is the most comfortable and easy to wear of all the Rolex cases :)

Dammit, I really want to see this. I'm at work and none of the pictures are showing up for me!

I'm very curious as to whether a gen-sized crystal will fit on the MBK case. If so, then I might consider making a quick trip to Bangkok! (So much for cheap projects...) I know one guy who bought a genuine Tropic (32?) for an MBK 1019, and wound up disappointed when it didn't fit.

As mentioned, I can't see anything in your post right now, but a honey-brown strap for a gilt 5500 dial sounds just about perfect. Most of the strapped vintage 1016s I see online are on black leather, but I think that combo works better on dials with newer, whiter tritium.

Dammit, I really want to see this. I'm at work and none of the pictures are showing up for me!

I'm very curious as to whether a gen-sized crystal will fit on the MBK case. If so, then I might consider making a quick trip to Bangkok! (So much for cheap projects...) I know one guy who bought a genuine Tropic (32?) for an MBK 1019, and wound up disappointed when it didn't fit.

As mentioned, I can't see anything in your post right now, but a honey-brown strap for a gilt 5500 dial sounds just about perfect. Most of the strapped vintage 1016s I see online are on black leather, but I think that combo works better on dials with newer, whiter tritium.

I believe the later models did have the gilt dial .. also the Arabic 5513 "MK1" was a 3-6-9 configuration in gilt.. I found the 5500 early models with standard white ticks and font lines., (or my research is way off base)... Which imo... go well with the honey tan colour gator .. it lends a nice finishing touch to the watch..

AC

Lani

The NDT dial is cool, but the "Precision" is a bit crooked, especially the C.

As it sits, it is excellent. Lugs, and Crystal, and possibly call it a day...

Personally, I like the strap that is on there right now. Too thick and it might compete with the thin case.

:tu:

The NDT dial is cool, but the "Precision" is a bit crooked, especially the C.

As it sits, it is excellent. Lugs, and Crystal, and possibly call it a day...

Personally, I like the strap that is on there right now. Too thick and it might compete with the thin case.

:tu:

thanks R.. but the mac shots look totally different from the view with the naked eye.. and I saw a genuine with a little heavier padding it looked excellent :thumbsupsmileyanim: .. talking just a mm or so more than the one I have on there now..

We'll see..

AC

Lani

OK, I'm at home and seeing it for the first time. Looks great! I guess I confused 5500 for 6610 (there's my dysRolexia again) and immediately thought of a gilt dial with chapter ring. Oops.

The NDT dial is very nice, but the MBK's is one of the best out of the box. (Shame about the "SWISS MADE", though!) Tough choice, but I think I'd stick with the 1016 just to be dimensionally correct. Either way, black dial on a brown leather strap is my favorite watch combination. Honey brown ought to give it a good dose of "casual" and "outdoorsy".

The NDT dial is very nice, but the MBK's is one of the best out of the box. (Shame about the "SWISS MADE", though!) Tough choice, but I think I'd stick with the 1016 just to be dimensionally correct. Either way, black dial on a brown leather strap is my favorite watch combination. Honey brown ought to give it a good dose of "casual" and "outdoorsy".

This got me thinking, since I like the MBW dial... Waiting for Freddy333, Avitt, et al. to chime in, but wouldn't it be plausible that a new service dial would say SWISS MADE in a similar fashion. Kind of like the newest DRSD Service Dials?

Either way, love the watch.

• 1 month later...

Lani, did you ever advance this project with a dial or strap change, or did you leave this as is? I was reminded of this thread as I recently had the chance to see a genuine 1016 and 5500 Air-King up close (Top Hour in Singapore--I was very tempted to buy the Air-King; the 1016 wasn't for sale!).

I've got to say that the profile of your MBW case is a very good match for the real thing. Compared to my Datejust-based rep the lugs of the MBW curve much more gradually, and the bezel is angled steeper. As I've said before, the MBW really is the best 1016 out of the box.

Guess I'd better start planning a trip to Bangkok after all!

Lani, did you ever advance this project with a dial or strap change, or did you leave this as is? I was reminded of this thread as I recently had the chance to see a genuine 1016 and 5500 Air-King up close (Top Hour in Singapore--I was very tempted to buy the Air-King; the 1016 wasn't for sale!).

I've got to say that the profile of your MBW case is a very good match for the real thing. Compared to my Datejust-based rep the lugs of the MBW curve much more gradually, and the bezel is angled steeper. As I've said before, the MBW really is the best 1016 out of the box.

Guess I'd better start planning a trip to Bangkok after all!

It's being modded as I type this..

I found a 1016 gilt dial with hands, according to the research I did it is correct, the hands were silver with the genuine.. the tropic 22 should fit.. if my measurements were any good.. the dial is lumed to vintage and the hands will be lumed to match the patina on the dial.... I'd like to get the honey tan gator.. but a little darker than normal long grain hide .. It should be done in a week or so.. :)

AC/Lani