When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Things that go bump in the night

Nanuq

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nanuq,

pardon my moosenoobness but how fearless are these creatures? I have experienced the same with deer. They will eat your prized tulips standing just a few feet away from you. I had a home. a few years back that was situated in the woods of the Catskills. I witness this cockiness with my white tailed friends on a weekly basis.

LOl @ Dems, again. How could moose get mention without squirrel? Love that show.

The deer have come down out of the mountains for the summer here. They are standing around stareing at the goats early in the morning trying to work out WTF the funny looking deer are exactly. Very flighty tho, get shot at too often.

Col.

I get the occasional deer in the yard. But I got a smaller, but meaner, surprise a few days ago. I was taking it easy on the couch, when I heard some rustling behind me. I turned around and saw a raccoon at the bottom of the staircase in the main entrance hall. Had to usher it out the front door with a steel bar stool and metal yard stick :shock:

No moose here ... deer, boar, mountain goat in Hawaii but no moose.. get's me how people can shoot these creatures just for "sport" at least the true boar hunters here are fair.. dogs and big knives and they kill for sustenance..

can't see killing any creature unless your in harms way or don't have a market close by... :angry:

A

C

Lani

Having been next to a moose, that picture is very deceiving. They are 6 feet tall at the SHOULDER when adults ..

Yeah, that deck is tall enough that most people can walk under it. That sort of puts it in perspective.

In the last 24 hours, we've had a bear right outside our window (I looked out into the dark and told my daughter she was imagining it, and then it gruffed at me, about 12" away through the glass) and we had the big bull moose, another 2nd year moose, we had a big old wolf in the back yard, and a bobcat. We got 3" of snow today and it seems like it brought out the critters!

That last pic is an incredible look at the food chain battle.

Bunny tracks....beautiful full spread of eagle feathers....no bunny tracks

No blood, no signs of struggle, not even signs of a disturbance, just gone. :o

Ken

Oh, and a half dozen bald eagles, two snowy owls (that do NOT like the eagles), and fewer and fewer snowshoe hares every day. :ph34r:

disappearing_squirrel_trick.jpg

what do you make the half circle to be ?? the traks left by wings of a predator??

sheesh.. I can track octopus underwater but this is an entirely different ball game.. :rolleyes:

AC

L

Those are the perfect prints of 2 wings and a tail tapping against the snow once, as the bird touched down then flew away with the rabbit in it's claws.

You can see each feather ! Wow what a photo, really.

post-22602-125670644835_thumb.jpg

Example .. exactly the same shape as the snow print

Close, but I think it goes a step further than your scenario...

See how the hare came out from the protection of the tree trunk into the open? A couple hesitating hops, then he started the BIG leaps... just as an arctic fox or small coyote came along from the left of the picture. The snow was deep and the fox was struggling, eyes on his prey, and he didn't see the eagle coming.

That's about a 6-foot wingspan so the eagle was big enough to choose the bigger meal, and let the hare go.

The again, 'right click>properties' reveals; alaska.net/images/disappearing_squirrel_trick.jpg

So.

If airplanes hitting the ground left such 'evidence' the NTSB would be a breeze job. :lol: I dunno, I think the power needed to 'lift off' a fox from deep snow would at least scatter the wing imprint with down wash, not to mention the violence of touch down. In a whole day of trying I don't think my kids could leave such a perfect 'snow angel'. :lol: