When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Things that go bump in the night

Nanuq

True, true... but then we have to account for the huge "squirrel" tracks entering from the top left, converging on the hapless hare. See how his hopping increases dramatically? Something had his tail up. If it was a wolf after him, there'd be a few postholes angled toward the hare, and bunny guts. So I think something was plowing the snow, rather than floating or postholing. It wasn't a wolverine, it could have been a lynx, but more likely a big fox or small coyote, just because the things are everywhere, and the torso spacing between front and back legs is about two feet.

It's that, or the eagle strapped on snowshoes and hiked off into the brush. :g:

Kinda like this?

eaglecatchesfox.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get a few small deer in the garden and see the odd eagle owl, but that moose is something else.

Funny story i once tried to chase a wild boar on my bike and side car in the snow, until it stopped, i got close enough to see how big it was and realize i was on my own. Very quickly the chase turned the other way!

I get a few small deer in the garden and see the odd eagle owl, but that moose is something else.

Funny story i once tried to chase a wild boar on my bike and side car in the snow, until it stopped, i got close enough to see how big it was and realize i was on my own. Very quickly the chase turned the other way!

I imagine seeing that in my mind's eye...

funny :rofl:

With.......... cloven hooves? :g: You may have something there!

The Beast 666? RUN!

All these eagle shots bring back a memory I have of browsing around a gun show in Tampa;

It was the usual, but I'm usually drawn to the older vintage military stuff. Love it. Anyhoo we came across a table with a lot of Nazi paraphenalia including a few standard issue Lugar P-O8's, one in a Luftwaffe holster that I was really keen on, and yet another Sauer 38H beautifully decorated piece replete with the German Eagle atop Swastika on the hand grip. Probably once owned by an SS officer. I commented;

"Hey look Garry, this has the Eagle looking over it's left shoulder, the symbol for the Nazi party!"

The German man selling commented; (read this as if 'General der Infanterie Albert Hans "Hansy" Burkhalter' from the old Hogan's Heros were saying it)

"Well, you know somethings about history young man, but not much. Indeed the left hand profile is the symbol of the party, the right to the Reich, but, that is a Falcon, a predatory bird, your Bald Eagle on the other hand is a scavenger bird.

That [censored]. But it's largely true. All the photos here in this thread are of 'Golden Eagles' who won't live in the same area as Baldies, they chase them off. The Bald Eagle who will hunt, is just as much at home standing in shallow water with sea-gulls picking over carrion Salmon. Not very domineering. I took this picture while cleaning fish and was amazed,

Eagle.jpg

until a week later I saw a few in Anchorage just sitting on top of the Carr's supermarket watching the world go by.

Anyway, I argued with the guy that it was indeed an Eagle, but he wouldn't relent. He was smug as all hell. My friend, picked up the Sauer from the table, gave it a once over, and returned it to the guy's own hand with a harrumph;

"Well, it may be a Falcon, but they weren't praying on much particularly by the time 1945 rolled around. Then, were they? C'mon let's go."

The man turned beet red.

That U.S. Marine was ready for all contingency. :victory:

LMAOPMITR!! (laughing-my-as-off-push-me-in-the-river!!)

eagle5.jpg

"So, what's on for today guys?"

"Just hangin', doin' the 'crow' thang"

I bet the locals get a good laugh, when us flatlanders see a Baldie and run out of the river fumbling in our packs to fish out the camera.

"Cool, a spot just opened up on that cottonwood hole. Morons."

It's like down here, if I walk into the oyster bar and there are no stools available at the bar, I'll walk on over to the railing. And wait for it. It only takes a minute. Then;

'Thar she blows!

"Hey everybody!! Bottlenose Dolphin!!"

"Where!? Where!?"

And just like that; twelve seats to choose from. Morons. :lol:

disappearing_squirrel_trick.jpg

That's something else. What a cool picture. Do you have the original in larger size?

I'm surprised this wasn't "Life in Alaska, Part XXXV"

Same guys crackin me up as usual. Hysterical thread. Too much to quote every post.

Gotta love the Tampa gun show Dems..

"Things that go bump in the night" :Jumpy:

NOAA has issued a severe weather alert for tonight through tomorrow morning, with "high winds" expected at higher elevations. If I go offline for awhile that means the winds blew the microwave receiver off the side of the house again. Nail down the shutters, it's gonna be a wild ride! :tu:

"Things that go bump in the night" :Jumpy:

NOAA has issued a severe weather alert for tonight through tomorrow morning, with "high winds" expected at higher elevations. If I go offline for awhile that means the winds blew the microwave receiver off the side of the house again. Nail down the shutters, it's gonna be a wild ride! :tu:

Glad you're having fun Nanuq, not my idea of a party! :o

Ken