When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why are you selling your watch?

P4GTR

Why do people go through the motions of puchasing a rep, with all the QC aggrivation that go's along with it, just to turn around and sell it? Not only that, they send it out for servicing/upgrades. No sooner do they get it back, they are selling it on one of the boards for a loss? Did you not know you would like the watch before you had $500 worth of work performed?

I've been seeing this quite often. Call me a skeptic, but it doesn't add up. I get that a piece doesn't sing to you once in a while... but seriously? :g:

I would imagine it is mostly a financial decision. Since most of this sort of work takes quite a while, you may find your self not really missing the watch very much. Add that to needing some cash, and voila - you have a watch for sale! Plus, a watch with that sort of work done is more likely to sell quickly so it's a bit of a guarantee that you will get some cash quickly. Just my 0.02

New watches = new thrills. Just like women. It's like paying for the boob-job and then divorcing her anyway cuz you just wanted a new one! Easy. :bangin:

Why do people go through the motions of puchasing a rep, with all the QC aggrivation that go's along with it, just to turn around and sell it? Not only that, they send it out for servicing/upgrades. No sooner do they get it back, they are selling it on one of the boards for a loss? Did you not know you would like the watch before you had $500 worth of work performed?

I've been seeing this quite often. Call me a skeptic, but it doesn't add up. I get that a piece doesn't sing to you once in a while... but seriously? :g:

something ive noticed alot aswell.

there seems to be alot for sale with the blue plastic still on aswell.

New watches = new thrills. Just like women. It's like paying for the boob-job and then divorcing her anyway cuz you just wanted a new one! Easy. :bangin:

+1......that and, when you get the watch and put it on, it just doesn't make a connection........happenned to me a few times! Sometimes you know right away after putting it on, sometimes it takes awhile....a month....or two! Sometimes a year! :wounded1::bangin:

+1......that and, when you get the watch and put it on, it just doesn't make a connection........happenned to me a few times! Sometimes you know right away after putting it on, sometimes it takes awhile....a month....or two! Sometimes a year! :wounded1::bangin:

Milgauss was like that for me. Took about 6 months, I hate parting with a perfectly good watch.

Definitely agree with Andy, blue plastic in all sometimes. Impulse buying, maybe. Or... :unsure:

I wouldn't pay a cent extra for a serviced watch, unless I knew and trusted the seller very well. Service is an invisible commodity, and lack of it would not likely be noticed for at least a couple of years. Combine that with the fact that the internet is full of peeps solely looking to take your money. You do the math :p

Edited by andreww

I wouldn't pay a cent extra for a serviced watch............ Service is an invisible commodity, and lack of it would not likely be noticed for at least a couple of years.

I agree. If a watch had been serviced by one of the members here who are famous for that type of service, and 'lume' jobs, AR etc., it would go a good measure to make the watch that much more desireable, but I wouldn't pay an added premium up to 100% of 'work' done on top of the depreciation of the stock. Perhaps a small mark up for those extras, but 'replica' watches per se`? Like Jaguar, you should expect to be completely beat up on resale. Sometimes I see mark ups on 'trades' as if the seller is expecting to break even, or on occaision make money on having made the decision to have 'mods' done. Please. It's like American muscle cars. You buy a beater '65 Mustang convertible for 4K, put 15K into it and at the end of the day you have a 8K car. You do it because it's the car you want, and money, and 'investment' is not an issue. I don't understand a lot of the deals here either. We joke around, but I do think there are a lot of compusives with addictive personalities around here. Meh, could be worse for them.

A word to the wise; NEVER make money on a replica watch, unless your name is Joshua, or Andrew, or et al. If you are 'Billy' from Indiana? It doesn't matter what Mojo the sevants performed on your piece. Sell for a loss. You never really know 'who's buying'. I would never sell a replica watch. A three year old Joshua Classic Sub? You'd be ripping a member's head off asking for $20. They make nice gifts to the periphery. And noobs. Tho'.

Personally I don't like this excess charge for a service either, you don't pay extra for a gen watch because it was serviced and the same should go for a rep.

Servicing is a personal choice not a resale investment.

Ken

I have always thought that using "serviced" claim in your sales thread (as a purpose to pump up the price) without proper references to the forum watchsmith (Ziggy, etc) / receipt of the actual service is very questionable and shady...

It's something that shouldn't even be mentioned if you don't have proof/receipt of it. I once suggested that we should put a rule that doesn't allow it (unless you have clear documentation and/or the buyer can somehow check the authenticity of these claims).

I believe most of our members are truthful but I'm 100% sure there is plenty of dishonesty too. The rules are always intact because of the latter group.

I only sell watches so I can buy other watches.

I have more seller remorse than buyer's remorse. There's a bunch of watches I wish I hadn't sold.

However, I, too, have noticed guys that heavily mod watches (almost always PAMs) only to sell them when the project is done. My bet most of them are hobbyists, tinkerers. It's either buy and fix up reps or wrecked Corvettes, and wrecked Corvettes are harder to come by these days. ^_^

Edited by AllergyDoc

It's a hobby.. it's a quest.. men are hunter's ..once the kill is done.. we move on to the next hunt..

as far as "servicing".. if you service your car and sell it.. would you include the bill for servicing.. if Ziggy gave it a "full service" and IMO that is the only type of service Zig considers servicing .. I could see where the price of the entire watch would appreciate..

I kinda know the members that would have this done.. but like BT and Andrew say... too many ads for "serviced" and another 100 or so tacked on to the price.. bahhhh :yuk:... if it were a special case.. or movement that is a different story altogether..or a franken dial.. etc.

for me to buy a watch from a member .. it would have to be someone whose character I know to be solid..

maybe someday I'll start selling my modded reps.. but for me I enjoy taking them out and just looking at them from time to time.. once my move is done.. I can think about setting up a a display.. for my reps.. that would be fun... :D

AC

Lani

I'm calling it's purely financial. I have a few genuine watches that I'll never wear again but never sell (if I needed the watch box space I'd give to family or friend as a gift) . If I buy a rep that I don't like I doubt I'd sell it, though I would offer for trade.

if I couldn't afford to pay bills or buy another watch until I sold it, then yeah..

Why would you go through the hassle of selling it if it wasn't for the money? You'd just give it to a friend if you didn't like it.

It's like buying a car...then you spend the money on the alloy wheels & the exhausts or the engine...etc. Then 6 months or a year down the line...you see something better..or new or more exciting car...that's when it's time to sell the car. However, your car might have depreciated a bit...but you cannot charge the extra you've spent on the wheels...engine...etc. This is the same principle as collection rep watches...it's a little costly...but absolutely worth the thrills.

On the other hand people don't really want to sell their reps...but for financial reasons, it may leave them without much choice !

when the watch does nothing for me anymore, it's time to let it go. When I decide to upgrade to the ultimate version or the ETA version, I let go of the noob version.

I've had one buyer's remorse sale. I've almost sold two of my other watches, but held back due to a fondness of them.

As for raising funds..... NEVER> I say you should always have enough to buy the watch outright without having to sell one. IMHO, that's just an excuse. This isn't a house you're buying, its a cheap watch!!!!

when the watch does nothing for me anymore, it's time to let it go. When I decide to upgrade to the ultimate version or the ETA version, I let go of the noob version.

I've had one buyer's remorse sale. I've almost sold two of my other watches, but held back due to a fondness of them.

As for raising funds..... NEVER> I say you should always have enough to buy the watch outright without having to sell one. IMHO, that's just an excuse. This isn't a house you're buying, its a cheap watch!!!!

I was thinking the very same thing. :g:

For someone with a low income, even 'a cheap watch' can be an expensive purchase... It just depends where one is on the financial ladder. To Tony Stark, a gen sub would be considered 'a cheap watch', it's all just a matter of perspective ;)

I've not yet sold a watch to purchase a new one, but I did sell off my collection to pay for my wedding and reception, and, if I was absolutely desperate for cash, then I would do so again.

I'm calling it's purely financial. I have a few genuine watches that I'll never wear again but never sell (if I needed the watch box space I'd give to family or friend as a gift) . If I buy a rep that I don't like I doubt I'd sell it, though I would offer for trade.

if I couldn't afford to pay bills or buy another watch until I sold it, then yeah..

Why would you go through the hassle of selling it if it wasn't for the money? You'd just give it to a friend if you didn't like it.

I consider myself a hobbyist more than anything. I love the pursuit of modding watches, searching for parts, and waiting. Some I keep and some I sell to move on to the next project although this only applies to reps I buy/own. My gens stay in the stable long term. My friends consider me a practical and logical person. If it is not being used, then might as well consider it wasted space? I'm not rich by any means, but it doesn't necessarily mean I couldn't afford to keep them. With that being said, I wonder if those who have to sell their reps to pay utility bills should even be in this game << FYI: That was not intended to offend anyone...I just considered it common sense? :surrender: