When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Details Of A DW 6263 Vintage Cosmograph (Daytona)

ubiquitous

Hey gang,

Hot on the trail of the 'How to identify an MBW vintage' post, I thought I'd do the same for the DW 6263's. I am hoping that this little write up helps better identify some of the clues on how to spot such a piece for those keeping a close eye out on the trading boards and such, should one turn up on the open market.

So, here we go....

294-8154.jpg

Starting off first, let's have a look between the lugs. Most DW's have a s/n and ref engraved that look distinctly like this:

294-8155.jpg

294-8156.jpg

Note that s/n's can vary, though I am not sure by how much. Perhaps DW's V72 cases carry a different ref than the standard V23 copy cases?

Next, we move onto the case details. The case itself is 37mm in diameter. The bezel diameter is dependant on type; you'll be looking at 37mm across for the steel 6265 bezel vs. 38mm for the acrylic 6263 bezel.

(I forgot to take pics of the two (actually three) bezel types, but, I'll add them later)

19mm lugs:

294-8157.jpg

Asymmetric pushers:

294-8158.jpg

294-8159.jpg

Some dial details:

294-8160.jpg

294-8161.jpg

294-8162.jpg

Case profile:

294-8163.jpg

294-8164.jpg

78350/19 hollow link Oyster bracelet with 571 endlinks:

294-8165.jpg

294-8166.jpg

294-8167.jpg

And, genuine parts fit. Rolex Tropic 21:

294-8168.jpg

Genuine springbars:

294-8169.jpg

And, of course one other characteristic that sets a DW apart- The slow beat, manual wind mystery movement cased inside (sorry, no pics).

The DW's are somewhat similar to the MBW's in the sense that they will accept genuine tubes, crowns, pushers, dials etc. and carry the same basic measurements as a genuine.

294-8170.jpg

294-8171.jpg

294-8172.jpg

294-8173.jpg

294-8174.jpg

294-8175.jpg

294-8176.jpg

And, there you have it. I hope that this write up was informative, and will help benefit someone in terms of identifying such a watch should the need arise.

Best regards,

Randy

Thanks, guys! The kind comments are very much appreciated!

Nanu- The dial on my DW v1.0 is the same- Silverish subdial registers. I haven't seen a black dialed v2.0 yet, so I am not certain if all have white subdials. Given the changes we've seen with the new 6263's, I wouldn't be surprised if this were indeed the case.

Bob,

I'd definitely like to see a side by side! To my knowledge, the subdials should have a very light silver/almost white color to them; in some cases, say at a very short distance, the registers would (in my opinion) appear white (my wife agrees with this in looking at mine). I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it's an extremely bright white.

For what it's worth, I've seen images where the standard black dial appears to have white sub dials, but it could be the photography, lighting, etc.

Nanuq

No, not welded. We've had many of them apart and they appear to be a clone v72 or even v73 movement. But the crown stem placement is slightly different than the genuine v72. And so far we can't figure out where the seller gets them from.
ubiquitous

Even The Zigmeister is at a loss as to what kind of movement/caliber is contained in these watches. It's simply... Unidentified.

That's what makes this hobby so much fun - the occasional mysteries.

Long ago I got a really cheap Roadster; the dealer included, along with the steel bracelet, a very nice leather deployant, close to real (I checked), way out of the watch's league. Tried to find out where he got it, but he had disappeared . . .

And by the way Ubi, these are great reports you're doing - thanks!

Randy - Excellent post and love those photographs. This is a very nice marker set down in our Watch Repair & Upgrade section. Big respect to you. :clap:

Many thanks for the kind words! I had a lot of fun taking the pics for this one! And, I'm glad I could help contribute something for the new RWG!

Great post Randy. The DW is one fantastic piece. Can't wait!! How do you swap the bezels?

Bezels swap very easily. They are tension fit, and simply require a blade to be wedged between the case and the bottom of the bezel.

Great Post!

It is good to see your name again Ubi.

Thank you, sir! It's nice to be amongst friends once again!

Nanuq

ubiquitous

That's what makes this hobby so much fun - the occasional mysteries.

Long ago I got a really cheap Roadster; the dealer included, along with the steel bracelet, a very nice leather deployant, close to real (I checked), way out of the watch's league. Tried to find out where he got it, but he had disappeared . . .

And by the way Ubi, these are great reports you're doing - thanks!

Many thanks for the kind words! And, while I agree that an occassional mystery is rather fun, I can say that in this case it was a bit of a nightmare when I was forced to find a new movement to replace the old one! I mean, how does one go about replacing something when you don't know what that something is to begin with? Luckily, a good friend and fellow member helped me out with a spare that he had obtained from the original dealer. Had it not been for this members help, I'd be up the ol' creek without a paddle. I have got to say... There are some fantastic people here on this forum that will go to great lengths to help others out. It's a fantastic community!

Best regards,

R

Guest avitt

The DW movement doesn't appear to be an exact replica of any common chronograph movement. Here's a little more info: Most of them are marked "727", but I have one that is stamped "234". The Valjoux 234 is a variant of the VJ23, but it has a calendar. (The genuine VJ234 is actually used by Panerai in the 2003 Special Edition PAM 163.)

The DW movement doesn't appear to be an exact replica of any common chronograph movement. Here's a little more info: Most of them are marked "727", but I have one that is stamped "234". The Valjoux 234 is a variant of the VJ23, but it has a calendar. (The genuine VJ234 is actually used by Panerai in the 2003 Special Edition PAM 163.)

Interesting! And quite intriguing! The movement in my standard dial 6265 has it's bridge signed Panerai. I wonder if I have a leftover or discarded genuine PAM movement in my rep?!?!

Now, wouldn't that be something...

Randy-

Great post. I love the watch but the mystery movement scares the heck out of me. Is DW still in business or are you looking for used ones and praying the movement works? If you can't identify the movement how can you order parts. Or maybe that is part of the allure of a DW Daytona. :unsure:

I did just pick up a nice Red Sub from Tribal though. :D See, I am making progress slowly.

I actually prefer the newer looking daytonas with seconds at nine (98,99 I guess). Did DW ever make these and do they have the same mystery movement or is there anything with the right size and spacing with a normal movement? Sorry for all the questions. But I do know you know the answers. :)

By the way, great to see you here. I was depressed when I saw you had disappeared from the other place.

Kruzer,

All great questions! And... It all makes for a very valid concern- What happens if/when this movement goes belly up? As it stands, I've got 5 years worth of use out of the current movement; it's been sent up to ziggy along with a spare movement for a complete rebuild and overhaul (the spare movement is now residing in the watch). I imagine that once this movement's lease on life is up (I'm hoping it can be serviced a few more times further before needing replacement parts), I'll modify the case and install a V72. But, until then, I want to milk the current movement for all it's worth ;)

So, I'm guessing this is the Daytona you prefer?

2728-7289.jpg

I'm working on getting this one done as well. I have everything but the movement, which I hope to resolve in the next few months.

Nice score on the Red Sub!! I'd like to see some pics of it when you receive it!

:Jumpy:

It's good to be back... The break was good for me, but I missed my friends!

Regards,

Randy

Edited by ubiquitous

Nice guess. :D I like the white face too. I really prefer the SS bezel. I guess it might be white gold in real life? Now if we can get Ziggy back we are cooking on all cyclinders. :yeah:

The one I pictured is my 16520 all stainless steel. The dial on it is aftermarket, but everything else is :Jumpy:

All I need to do is add an El Primero 400, and I'm set!

Great post, Randy. Thank you and welcome back.

So, about the mystery movement, do you think it would be a good idea to contact DW and purchase a spare mystery movement from him?

This is a great post. I certainly hate to sound like a noob, but what is DW? What is the availability and cost of the DW's. They are certainly impressive looking Daytona's. The mystery movement is a little scary though.

Many years ago when I had much less "watch sense" I had a genuine 6263. I really didn't like the manual wind/no Date. I ended up keeping the watch for a few weeks and trading it straight up for a Submariner. This one was one of many that I wish that I had back!!

Randy, glad to see you back posting over here. This is looking like the sort of place i would like to be already. I would bet that Rob will be here shortly. I know that he is really busy, just got an email from him today, he has two of my genuine Doxas on his bench for restoration.

Arthur,

Great to see you, my friend! I hope all is going well :)

With regards to 'what is a DW'- DW is the seller's initials, in this case, David Wong. David came onto the scene last Summer with some incredible items for sale, including some 116520 Daytonas with the Swiss mod 7750 movements at spectacular prices. But, he also had something never seen before- A damn near perfect 6263 vintage Daytona with correct sized case, lugs, asymmetric pushers, and, most intriguing of all, a handwind copy of the V72/23 with correct subdial spacing! This watch was, at the time, being sold for an unbelieveably low price! 5 dial options were available- All of them very highly detailed and very nice. Needless to say, purchases were made with little hesitation, and word began to spread about these beauties. Unfortunately, before long, DW seemed to vanish for no apparent reason. Many of us have our theories on the matter, but nothing has been confirmed. And, that is the legend of DW ;)

Many years ago when I had much less "watch sense" I had a genuine 6263. I really didn't like the manual wind/no Date. I ended up keeping the watch for a few weeks and trading it straight up for a Submariner. This one was one of many that I wish that I had back!!

Hmmmm... I dunno Arthur. Sounds to me like you had plenty of watch sense! Enough to have purchased a 6263 to begin with, and enough to realise how unpractical these buggers are! You were not alone in the mindset of getting rid of the watch because of the manual wind movement coupled with the screw down crown, and the lack of date was also a large disappointment for many people as well. As such, these vintage Daytonas spent more time (when new) in showroom display cases than in the possession of owners, and the major reasons were the same as your concerns. It just wasn't a practical watch. But... Hindsight being 20/20, who would have guessed that these Daytonas, Milguass or vintage Subs would have escalated in value like they have? As much as I like vintage Rolex (they are my #3 favorite), I do believe that the price increases are laregly artifical, and that there is a bubble waiting to pop. Just my opnion, though ;)

Please post some pics of your Doxas once Ziggy is finished with them! I can't get enough of those beauties!!

Cheers,

Randy

Edited by ubiquitous