When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex GMT II Question

Mercury

I have searched for the answer to this but found no real definite yes or no. In the GMT II and the GMT IIC, they both come with ETA and Asian Clone movements. Which is the most reliable and is the ETA version more reliable and worth the extra bucks. I don't plan on doing any swaps I just want a reliable movement that won't cause problems.

Thank You In Advance

I bought the GMT Master IIc from Stan (WBK) it was $150 with shipping to the UK. The watch arrived very quickly. The time keeping is excellent ( it has the Asian 21j movement) it is staying approx 3 seconds fast as what it gains during the time I wear it, it looses when it's on it's side - crown up - over night.

I don't know how long it will run for but I'm buying the gen version for myself next year for my 50th birthday, so as long as it lasts until then I'll be happy.

If you place your order with WBK you won't regret it, he comes highly recommended.

Mercury,

Did you read this review

By-Tor's GMT 11 Review

I have a GMTII with the Swiss ETA 2836-2 movement, and I'm very satisfied with it. It's keeping time at the rate of 1-2 Sec fast per day. I believe that as long as you stay away from the so called Correct hand stack movements you will be OK,I will certainly defer to some of he more knowledgable experts on this forum if I'm wrong.

It's a great watch. In fact the ONLY flaw that I see is the non AR coated Cyclops. It is very reflective and sometines the date is hard to see. It's a dead giveaway if you held one up next to a genuine., also, I'm not too happy with the lume, it glows great after a charge, but fades rapidly and is gone in a few minutes. I'm hoping that I can source a crystal with AR on the cyclops and send mine off to get a crystal change and a re-lume.

Good Luck

Arthur

• 1 year later...

I think the problems with the modifiied GMT 2836 movements stem from the driving wheel for the GMT hand.

It looks like one piece, but is actually 2 seperate gears (upper and lower) and they are only friction fitted together. With time and if you play with the GMT function a lot, these gears will start to slip and the GMT hand won't track properly.

What you can do is then use a glue to hold the two gears together.

I think the problems with the modifiied GMT 2836 movements stem from the driving wheel for the GMT hand.

It looks like one piece, but is actually 2 seperate gears (upper and lower) and they are only friction fitted together. With time and if you play with the GMT function a lot, these gears will start to slip and the GMT hand won't track properly.

What you can do is then use a glue to hold the two gears together.

I've had good luck with bending the inside one slightly.

You know how the bottom one (the one that's driven by the calendar wheel) holds the center of the top one? Like |o|

If you carefully bend the | | so that they hold the |o| more tightly, that can help. Also, lubing the gear for the independent adjustment helps.

Note that if you choose to glue the two together, you have to remove the independent adjusting gear, otherwise if you try to adjust the GMT hand independently you'll break it.

The most reliable movement is the 1 that is properly serviced/maintained by a good watchmaker.

+1

But, I have to say am very impressed with the "late model (2009 up)" DG3804. There is a good chance this is what you will get with a "21J" Cartel GMT, GMTII if it has been made in the last 2 years.

Late Model DG3804 PROS:

No overlay needed. Correct Datewheel spacing for GEN dials.

Font on datewheel is good enough.

Correct hand stack for 6542/1675 and slower 21.6 bph

GMT function is a small step above modded 2836's

These new movements seem to have good Quality Control. Two I have, are clean and properly lubed.

Will fit in GEN 1675 case or Yuki/NDT/Phong case with easy mod to Yuki/Stilty adapter ring. Correct stem alignment.

Late Model DG3804 CONS:

Incorrect hand stack for GMT II 16610's (So is the 2836)

Slow beat if used for GMT II

Rotor winds one way, so you occasionally can hear rotor whirl.

To summarize, if you are going vintage GMT, I find it hard not to justify a DG3804. If you are going modern GMTII, the increased bph 28.8 of the modded 2836 might be a better fit.

This is a DG3804 with a stock ETA 2836 datewheel on top demonstrating the reason why all 2836 based Rolexes need an overlay.

smp1010515.jpg

DG3804 Top side (GMT gear/pinion not shown)

smp1010533.jpg

Superior Datewheel mechanisim. Aligns with all GEN dials, MBW dials, I have placed on top of it.

smp1010534.jpg

Below is a Ronin Build powered by a DG3804 movement. Keeping excellent time +6 seconds per day. 42 hour reserve.

a25pp1010632.jpg

+1

But, I have to say am very impressed with the "late model (2009 up)" DG3804. There is a good chance this is what you will get with a "21J" Cartel GMT, GMTII if it has been made in the last 2 years.

Late Model DG3804 PROS:

No overlay needed. Correct Datewheel spacing for GEN dials.

Font on datewheel is good enough.

Correct hand stack for 6542/1675 and slower 21.6 bph

GMT function is a small step above modded 2836's

These new movements seem to have good Quality Control. Two I have, are clean and properly lubed.

Will fit in GEN 1675 case or Yuki/NDT/Phong case with easy mod to Yuki/Stilty adapter ring. Correct stem alignment.

Late Model DG3804 CONS:

Incorrect hand stack for GMT II 16610's (So is the 2836)

Slow beat if used for GMT II

Rotor winds one way, so you occasionally can hear rotor whirl.

To summarize, if you are going vintage GMT, I find it hard not to justify a DG3804. If you are going modern GMTII, the increased bph 28.8 of the modded 2836 might be a better fit.

This is a DG3804 with a stock ETA 2836 datewheel on top demonstrating the reason why all 2836 based Rolexes need an overlay.

DG3804 Top side (GMT gear/pinion not shown)

Superior Datewheel mechanisim. Aligns with all GEN dials, MBW dials, I have placed on top of it.

Below is a Ronin Build powered by a DG3804 movement. Keeping excellent time +6 seconds per day. 42 hour reserve.

I do not where you source them but I have not been able to get one to finish my 1675, I ended up buying a 2893, I am not sure if this will work.