When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Maybe not cut out for this...

krpster

Hello all,

Just thought I would share my frustration with you guys....although I do recognize that what happened is all part of the learning curve.

The history on this has to do with the two SOH that I have (ETA V1 and clone V2). I originally thought that I could combine the two to get the best of both worlds. Sort of a hybrid or V2.5. Using the better parts of the V2 to house the movement of the V1. However, things went wrong from the very start and I am very bummed out right now :(

The first thing was the learning that my ETA was actually not ETA at all. Hence the update to my review of the two pieces. Seagull copy of the ETA. This sucks because I paid a pretty penny for the V1 and now I learn that it is not it was supposed to be. Oh well, live and learn right. :black_eye:

Then I start in on the V2 as it has a qwirk with the stem where it sometimes sticks in date change mode if not all the way pulled out before pushing back in. Not earth shattering but annoying for sure. So I thought I might dig into the keyless works with my new tool kit (thanks Watchbitz). So I get it all apart and things don't look to bad. Start to re assemble the watch but have problems when I go to start aligning the hands. To do this of course needs the stem inserted to be able to check date change vs. hand position. Did I mention that the stem also doesn;t like to come out of the movement? Well, long story short I end up scuffing a couple of battons on the dial and slightly bending the minute hand at the end of this procedure. Augh! Nothing major but still there, and for me this is bothersome. However, I complete reassembly of the watch anyway and leave it at that.

I wear it the next day (today) and boy do those minor things bother me. So tonight I thought I might try to fix them....wrong! In my attempt to clean up the battons the base material (brass) is now showing at the corners and I managed to break the second hand!!!!! Augh!!!!!!! :bangin:

So I have learned many many lessons for working on watches, however, my V2 SOH has paid the price for that. If anybody has a black dial and/or hands for one please PM me. Otherwise there may be a nice tool kit up for sale soon ;)

First attempts are always interesting, arent' they? Don't give up though. It takes years of practice and broken bits :black_eye: but in the end it is a very fun little hobby and when you do fix something yourself for the first time, the elation and excitement are unparalleled! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If I were you, I would look into the non-marring hand placement tools that jmb was selling. I don't have one, but they look the biz and would probably help you in the long run. It's a long, arduous process working on watches, but worth it in the end. Don't give up on your project. As I noticed earlier today, Lani had an IWC Ingy that took two years to complete but its a work of art!!!

G/L with your future repairs!

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I have no doubt that I will continue to try. :p I had previously done a few minor things before but working with the hands really got me. A lot harder then I expected.

I actually do have the pressers from jmb so I cannot blame the tools. Just the user. :bangin: I wont explain the details of where I went wrong (to embarrassing to discuss) but in reflection I think all my problems came down to trying to take short cuts and/or rush through certain things. Now I know :black_eye:

I give you a lot of credit for trying such a project. One way to look at It Is you wont make those same mistakes again, fingers crossed. So dont be to hard on yourself, the review you did was nothing short of brilliant. Hang In there, this community Is a better place because of It :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

"A good education is always expensive!"

Unfortunately true :(

Now you know why all of my early experimenting was done on <$50 Subs! If you need anything I might have laying around let me know...

I considered that but my impatience got the better of me. Just wanted to get this project going and wear my favorite piece all dolled up. I may yet have a go at some cheapo pieces. Thanks for the offer.

In the light of day, now that I have calmed down some, it doesn't look as bad as I originally though. At least with the naked eye anyway. If I could score a new second hand it may be alright as a beater...or maybe a good candidate for a vintage heritage ;)

Thanks again guys for the reassurance and support. Feeling better now. :group: