When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Here's a "foreigner" for the Doxa crew.

offshore

Could these be the next big thing after Doxa?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Benrus-Vintage-TYPE-1-PLOPROF-USN-Divers-1978-serviced_W0QQitemZ150403938336QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Watches?hash=item2304c5f820#ht_500wt_975

That's got some history, and not a touch of quality....wonder how many of these are floating around?

O/S

These are very commonly collectible and most certainly on the radar of EVERY mil-watch collector and many vintage dive watch collectors. Things to look for in these Benrus Type I watches (vs. Type II which has arabic numbers on the dial versus markers) are the crowns which operate on a split stem due to this being a monocoque case. Replacement crowns are available, but the presence of an original crown is most desired - indicated by a slit/dimple on the end of the crown. Many of these watches saw very hard service, but they also stood up to the treatment. They are super-cool and THE classic Vietnam era watch (as an issued piece vs. the non-issued but very popular Seiko 6105).

You got a good eye, OS - they are very nice watches. Predicted closing price on that watch from a very very trusted seller: $1100 (due mostly to dial condition).

Those are very sought after by Military watch collectors.Lots of info on the Benrus type I and II over on the MWR (Military watch Resource) forum. This is also the watch that Bill Yao patterned his Blackwater MKII after. It was an issue watch to American soldiers, probably Special Forces, Seals, etc. very collectible. If this watch had a good original dial/hands it would probably sell for anywhere between 1500-2000 dollars, especially from a trusted dealer that specializes in military watches. ONe word of caution, just like the Seamaster 300's and Blancpain's there are a lot of fakes being sold as originals. Allegedly, all of these are coming from a shop in Vietnam that produces these vintage replicas, often with genuine movements (not always the correct one for that model, or one that is made from parts of several different movements)These get sold on Ebay as genuine vintage and later prove to be fakes. this one is not, it's the real McCoy.

About the Borel. At the time that Doxa along with most of the Swiss watch industry was getting it's proverbial Ass kicked by the Japanese quartz watch industry, a group of watch manufacturers banded together hoping that size would save them.Thus Synchron was born. Borel was a part as was Doxa,Cyma and Tavannes. There was a lot of parts interchanges, the companies doing what they could to survive. This Borel watch clearly has Doxa hands, shares the synchron caseback,movement (Only the rotor needs changing) and probably uses the same size and configuration of the dial blank(actually looking at the dial, it looks exactly like some of the Doxa dials in Dr. Pete's book, only difference is the name).

Interestingly, Jules Borel, don't know if the name is a coincidence, or a family member, was for years the US distributor of Borel, Doxa and other Synchron watches, as well as the authorized US service center. They were located in Kansas City,Missouri.I bought a bunch of Doxa parts from a watchmaker in KC who bought out all the remaining stock of parts several years back from Mr.Borel's widow. He told me that he got a small U-Haul truck full of all sorts of stuff. He told me it was in 14 filing cabinets!! Unfortunately, he didn't have a lot of Doxa Dive watch stuff, but for several years, he put watches and other stuff on Ebay. He was literally building watches from NOS parts.I was able to get Dr.Pete and him together and he sent Pete a lot of Jules Borel's Doxa sales literature . Dr. Pete copied all the brocures and several of them are in his book.

Just a little Synchron Trivia

Arthur

Had to laugh when I saw this in the description; unmolested & serviced

Do you guys remember Captain Koons in Pulp Fiction;

"The way your dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright, so he hid it, in the one place he knew he could hide something: his ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you. "

Guess it's a good thing it is "unmolested" :D