When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

building a 1675

Cats

I'm searching quit a long time now for a nice 1675 now.

I would like to have advice on which roadmap i have to follow to built/buy a great 1675.

Should i buy a 1675 case from Yuki and start the search for a good dial hand and movement etc.

Or is there a good 1675 for sale from on of the collectors which needs modding.

Total amount of money i want to invest is around 800 euro's.

Thanks in advance.

Please help me with my descission.

Carpe Diem

Cats

i'm no expert on GMT's but toomuchgear did succeed in a somewhat very close result to the gen without spending $$$$$$$. Unfortunately for you, it was sold like two weeks ago. You may find the thread so as to have an example of which parts were used in the project. If i reckon correctly, the case used as a base was from silix although i'm not 100% sure. Last thing: since it was originally sold back in august, the watch has been sold twice! so maybe you'll find it up on the sales section in like 2 months! You never know...

However, building a similar example is a long road, very long!!!!

Good luck in your project;)

I"m afraid there isn't much out there to start with to mod. And as ubi said, when you start buying yuki cases, bezels, inserts dials crown/tube and a genuine movement, yo uare going to have a franken that costs you more than the genuine. The price of 1675's hasn't gotten obscene like some models, and the economic down turn has put quite a bit of downward pressure on used watch prices. If you go to TZ sales corner, Rolex Forums sales forum, etc. you will see that the watches that are moving are either very desirable watches with a provenence, and watches priced to sell, at a reasonable price.

We have been trying to get the dealers to build a correct 1675 for quite a while, so far no luck!

I see 1675's all the time on those forums. You aren't going to get one for 800 Euros, but you can't build one for that either.

Good Luck

Arthur

Hi Cats,

Would have to agree with Ubi, the 1675 is tough for a decent rep to even build and a superfranken will end up costing as much as a gen to build. I was never real happy with my modded 1675 (dial was tad too large, CG's not the right shape, GMT hand wrong shape, crystal was glued one etc) and ended up buying a gen 16750, but that was just me! A lot of good deals out there still on emay a VRF if you look carefully and "buy the seller".

Good luck in your quest!

What can be done with a modded rep:

DSC_1294.jpg

And the real deal (well my transitional 16750):

DSC_1581-2.jpg

As much as I like my GMT Master IIC Ceramic GMT, I don't see anything comparable in the older GMT's. I really like toomuchgears 16750. The first series of 16750's had matte dials and non surround indicies, and are virtually indestinguishable from the 1675 that immediately preceeded them, but one very handy and useful difference. The 16750 movement is quickset, the 1675 is not. Very, very helpful if your watch isn't worn on a regular basis.

Supposedly WM9 is planning a 1675 project, but it may be 2 years before it is in the actual stage of "ready to ship". look at how long folks have neem waiting for the WM9 Seadweller.

If you can scrape together the funds, Genuine is definitely the way to go with the 1675/16750 GMT's

Arthur

Hmmm... A gen 16750 would definitely be a good option; the 1675 is a gorgeous piece, but man, that slow set date and tiny 5.3mm crown can make setting the date tough on the fingertips, especially if it's the 31st day of the month, and your watch is set to the 9th (and you really don't want to wait for the calendar day to sync up with your watch) :p

The charm of the 1675/16750 is really something else, though. These pieces, especially with a little patina have a ton of character that really differs quite a lot from the other Rolex Sports of this era... It's sporty, yet wears almost elegantly due to it's thin case. I definitely gotta say that gen is the way to go...

IMG_4822.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

:)

Ubi,

You are absolutely right, I don't wear mine much and it always seems like there are 25 days between the last wearing and the date I want. Easy breezy w/ the quickset, quite a chore with the tiny crown and non quickset. Love my 16750!I would say if you are going to invest in one genuine Rolex, this would be the one.

Arthur