When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steve Irwin Dead..

Everythingape

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin is allegedly dead.. Biggest thing to come out of Australia since Mad Max.. Though never a fan of his work, I can see why people found him interesting. And I felt sad about it all when I saw the news about it this morning.

Reportedly he was killed while diving by a wound inflicted by a stingray.. For a guy running around hugging crocodiles and snakes for 30 years, it's a bit of an irony that he should be killed by a fish.

Guest HeWhoIsLikeGod
How sad... It seems that the people who live life on the fringe of what most would consider "normal" life are often the ones to go first. I've lost three friends in the last two years to freakish things like this.

But in the end, a man like Steve Irwin would have considered it hell on earth to hold back and not live his life like this. So we've lost him too early, but he packed a lifetime of adventure into his brief 44 years.

Godspeed, Steve.

How right you are Nanuq.

I really liked this guy, you could tell he did it for the love of the animals and nature. I was so surprised and sad to read the horrible news. May he rest in peace.

Good man, I will miss his somewhat crazy antics... but more his dedication to saving wildlife and the environment... What an ironic way to go :thumbdown:

He was a good man with a good heart, and totally dedicated to his cause and his family... He made mistakes just as the best of us have... I second godspeed Steve :victory:

Excellent idea.

Having 4 boys who are big fans, I feel like Steve Irwin is almost part of the family...may he rest in peace.

Actually, Louisiana Alligators used for leather are almost always farmed, and the hunting is heavily regulated to avoid uncontrolled mass die-offs by starvation--so it's unlikely that a boycott would have any positive impact on the environment or alligators. Plus, there are still hundreds of thousands of people down there whose lives have been decimated--they need every dime they can get.

Crocs, I have no idea about. If the leather industry has the potential to put the species at risk, croc straps should be boycotted whether Steve Irwin is alive or dead.

How did we move from celebrating the life of a good man who dies in tragic circumstances....to a boycott of alligator and croc straps.....surely we should boycott stingray straps.... :blink:

Edited by TTK

How did we move from celebrating the life of a good man who dies in tragic circumstances....to a boycott of alligator and croc straps.....surely we should boycott stingray straps.... :blink:

More of a sugestion in tune with the situation, and i am sure that a lot of the croc straps dont have that much croc in them, some mybey but not all. It is a shame that he has now gone, he was very interesting to watch but i have to add " if you play with fire" but RIP.

The boycot of croc leather isn't something I really have to do as I already have a personal boycot of croc and ray.

It's just the fact of doing something by which you remember someone. Imagine every time you see a Croc strap for sale and you remember the great work Steve "Crikey" Irwin did, you've remembered, if nothing else.

I'm afraid he was probably the cause of his own death......flirting with danger and the subsequent publicity that it engendered...turned him into a showman.....from what's been stated so far.....it appears he was swimming just above the stingray.....no doubt to pull it's tail for entertainment purposes......only problem was he didn't realise that this particular ray was a marksman and pierced him straight thru' the heart with one of it's tail spines......up to a foot long and razor sharp......he must have been directly above the tail at the rear of the ray......misadventure.

Ok now whoa there Neil, yes he was swimming just above the ray, but there is no indication as yet that he even saw it (they do tend to bury themselves in the sand) and the barb is more like 20cm.

It was a freak accident and no more Steve was like the 3rd recorded death by stingray in Australia and one of only about 20 in the world nearly all of which were caused in the same manner..... :wounded1:

Ken

According to John Stainton he was aware of the rays presence......they were filming it at the time...!

Benthic rays do bury themselves in the sand......however most injuries received are to the legs and feet......it's very rare to be struck in the chest......most rays will wriggle away from approaching danger.....!

I'm not criticising Steve.....he was ( if he was ).....only doing as he was always doing.....entertaining us all......it was his nature to do so......and yes...I agree it was a terrible accident......!

As for statistics on accidents and fatalities.....do a little websearch....you'll be surprised by the results....!

Edited by TTK