When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Info: Where to still get the best Steelfish.

By-Tor

I sold my blue "Ultimate" Steelfish just recently because I was going to buy a gen.

This was my old blue Fish that I loved for years. It was from TWP and it had the silver genuine ETA movement with superb PR and accuracy. TWP actually claimed that the movement received a full service by his watchmaker. He really cherry picked that watch for me because I was going to make that "big review". :D

You can read it here.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man!

There has been a lot of talk about the bad lume dots on the SFSO. They're MUCH improved on this new one. I try to find time to set up my photo studio and take a decent dial shot later.

Your wristie is deceiving :lol: You make this watch look smaller than it really is! But I know otherwise! This is a rather serious chunk of steel! I had given one of these a try sometime ago (though not with the ETA), only to discover that it's thick case was a bit too top heavy for my wrist. However, your fantastic pics make me think that perhaps I should give this one another go...

Hmmm... Do I dare?

212_1219.jpg

@Ubi: Your lite version looked amazing. Great SEL fit, great dw.

Yeah SFSO is a big watch but not overly big like the Super Avenger. It's listed as 44mm but it wears MUCH smaller than a 45mm PO, for example.

@Lani: Thanks man... this time only 1 new photo (that was my own). I was lazy. :D

Well, buying one with a gen ETA inside will run you somewhere north of $350 and I don't think it is worth it. I know where to get "AAA" grade ETA copy and 21j (yes I know the term AAA grade is bad but I'm sure you know what I mean.. sapphire crystal, double AR and other things). Those are sufficient. The only difference between one of those and the $350 watch is the movement and possibly the seconds hand is variant on the watches. I wouldn't spend over $200 on one with a gen ETA inside. The price is inflated on that watch. It's a replica of a watch that in gen costs ~$2500, so just personally not worth it for me (well that and the fact that a 45mm watch looks geeky on my wrist but that is beside the point). Basically it is a $80 watch with an ETA inside which should add maybe $60 to the cost. So you're spending $350+ on a $140 watch. That's quite some markup to me.

Edited by amptor

@amptor: Yeah I agree the ETA version price is too high. But it's on par with the other ETA reps these days... so what can you do. :thumbdown: The crystal makes this watch (the double AR) which is not present on the Asian version.

I wonder if it's still possible to buy the great "Lite" version that Ubi had? The new one with arrow seconds hand is garbage, it's not the same rep at all. PT verified that it comes from entirely different factory.

Well, buying one with a gen ETA inside will run you somewhere north of $350 and I don't think it is worth it. I know where to get "AAA" grade ETA copy and 21j (yes I know the term AAA grade is bad but I'm sure you know what I mean.. sapphire crystal, double AR and other things). Those are sufficient. The only difference between one of those and the $350 watch is the movement and possibly the seconds hand is variant on the watches. I wouldn't spend over $200 on one with a gen ETA inside. The price is inflated on that watch. It's a replica of a watch that in gen costs ~$2500, so just personally not worth it for me (well that and the fact that a 45mm watch looks geeky on my wrist but that is beside the point). Basically it is a $80 watch with an ETA inside which should add maybe $60 to the cost. So you're spending $350+ on a $140 watch. That's quite some markup to me.

I don't follow. Gen ETA 2824-2's cost a lot more than $60.

hmmm...the SOSF was my first rep over a year ago...and i went for the white dial "lite" version...after much reading here, i asked about the arrow versus the boxed second versions and even did the best i could to see/read the difference...i couldn't...i can't recall if i got it from Robert (PWC, T4d) or Peter (watchstation)...but at the time, i wasn't aware of the difference in factories...my arrow "lite" works and runs great...and the "lite" AR on the dial works fine with the white dial - as most white dials help with less AR coating...i'm not sure i would get a "lite" version of a darker dial as the reflection would personally drive me crazy...

i have no knowledge of whether or not the arrow or boxed second versions come from diff factories...but i don't recall reading about any difference...would love to know - or see - more on this...

@BT --> looks great...and i think the eta is worth it...this watch isd thinner than the Skylands and Avengers...and it wear fantastic on my 7.5" wrist...

wear it well, my friend...nice to see it back on your wrist!...and dammmmmn - the SELs look great...you tried 6 pairs?!...yikes!...well done!... :drinks:

R-

They actually produce many variations of this rep. Look at this one. The dealer claims that it's "same chassis as the ETA version" which isn't true.

Just look at the crown. Crown is completely different on this... all wrong. The seconds hand "box" is missing the red color. Guards are shorter as well and the whole case looks different. I've seen the arrow hand versions with this crown. This has a bearable dw but I've seen these with absolutely terrible date fonts.

2qi69s0.jpg

@McRae: My Fish has the exact same datefont as my old one (from the 1st batch). Look at the 1st picture in my first post.

It's the standard ETA font. But look at Makoberry's watch... it has perfect Breitling datefont. Mine doesn't have that. Other that that, my watch is 100% identical with his.

@P4GTR: I have been thinking about the Skyland for a long time... it's a great rep but I'm not sure if I like the design. It has a polished bracelet and the watch overall looks a bit clumsy. Impressive, yes... but not as balanced and nice as the Fish. Just a personal taste thing I guess. But if I saw it in the flesh I could change my mind. But I think Skyland is very similar with Fish in design in many ways... and definitely not as nice. I doubt it'd see much wrist time if I purchased one. Fish is the only Breitling that I really, really love. One of my all time favorite watches bar none. :)