When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Info: Where to still get the best Steelfish.

By-Tor

@McRae: My Fish has the exact same datefont as my old one (from the 1st batch). Look at the 1st picture in my first post.

It's the standard ETA font. But look at Makoberry's watch... it has perfect Breitling datefont. Mine doesn't have that. Other that that, my watch is 100% identical with his.

@P4GTR: I have been thinking about the Skyland for a long time... it's a great rep but I'm not sure if I like the design. It has a polished bracelet and the watch overall looks a bit clumsy. Impressive, yes... but not as balanced and nice as the Fish. Just a personal taste thing I guess. But if I saw it in the flesh I could change my mind. But I think Skyland is very similar with Fish in design in many ways... and definitely not as nice. I doubt it'd see much wrist time if I purchased one. Fish is the only Breitling that I really, really love. One of my all time favorite watches bar none. :)

We know how much you love your fish. Eventually you'll get that gen. The SF always felt chunky until I got the skyland, now it seems more moderate in size. The skyland doesn't wear as big as it looks. If I could change anything in my watchbox from rep to gen, it would be that. The rep quality as good as it is, pales in comparison to the SFSO. I'd never part with either of them!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten a bit of that "Breitling bug" lately. My only problem is that Fish is so superior (in design) to everything else. BCE is another watch that I'd get instantly but that blingy bracelet is just too much. Blackbird would be perfect as it's all brushed but that's not repped. :(

Blackbird-A13050-600.jpg

Awesome review.

Particularly timely for me, as I started looking into buying a SOSF last week. I had been planning to buy an asian SOSF until I read this article. The version I was planning to buy is has the arrow second hand like the one derided in the article. This article might talk me into going all out and buying the ETA version while they're still around! I'm assuming that the asian version that I was planning on buying suffers the same defects as the one described above, but I'll provide a link below. It looked like a great buy with: upgraded lume, sapphire rather than mineral glass crystal, and double AR. Normally you only see these 3 things on the ETA version, this was the only place i've seen it available on an asian version. If anyone wants to take a look and come back to point out any obvious flaws I'd be more than happy to look like a knucklehead in the interests of learning something in the process!

EDIT: The asian SOSF mentioned above is sold out and there won't be more available :(.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/new-breitling-sosf-sapphire-ar-37748.html?t=37748&highlight=time4direct+sosf

Be aware that even my Swiss Fish arrived with a faulty bracelet. The end link that connects to the SEL was terrible and it didn't bend properly. PT of course sourced me a replacement (and I built my nicely fitting SELs with 3 separate bracelets) but it proves that there is a lot of inconsistencies with this rep now.

I would suggest to get pictures of the actual watch from the dealer before buying. Those arrow hand versions seem to use that awful crown & faulty seconds hand a lot. But looks like there is another version too (where these two flaws aren't present).

According to PT the best Swiss version comes from the same factory who makes the best TAGs. I believe the arrow version has nothing to do with it... it has different case, bracelet, dial, crown, etc. etc. I would definitely get the Swiss version... the 2xAR alone makes a world of difference. Why save a lousy $100 and get a watch that won't satisfy you in the long run anyway...

@McRae: My Fish has the exact same datefont as my old one (from the 1st batch). Look at the 1st picture in my first post.

It's the standard ETA font. But look at Makoberry's watch... it has perfect Breitling datefont. Mine doesn't have that. Other that that, my watch is 100% identical with his.

what sort of font does mine have?

date.jpg?t=1264985712

Haven't been able to set up my photo studio as the table is filled with baby equipment. :D I'll take the dial shot later.

But I took two new wrist shots. This rep is amazing. :wub:

1-1.jpg

1a.jpg

@Opti: Go for the black version. The white rep might look similar in the pictures but when you see it in the flesh the difference is quite big. Gen is "creamy" and the rep is pure garish white.

Here's gen

2dlk96e.jpg

I had a close look to all genuines just recently. And trust me, black rep is the closest to the gen with a HUGE margin. Even on black the texture and dial shine aren't quite apparent enough but overall it's still very close (because the color is, well... just black).

Hi BT,

thanks for posting this new thread. I have been looking to buy a SFSO for the past month, and have had my heart set on the ETA blue, then I read about your review, how the blue is quite off, and I was also able to see, as I am trying in both markets, gen and rep, to get a steelfish. Then as I saw the "let's show your breitlings" thread, that so many posters here have the white one, and not the black. But thank you for the explanation of the white gen, as it is more creamy versus the rep, which is more white. The black it is for me. although I am still debating whether or not I should get the gen or not, since really the price difference is not that big, compare to your typical gen/rep price ratio.

decisions, decisions. rep black, or gen black or blue? my head hurts, and of course I need the gen sellers to agree to my price term first. :)

Gen blue Steelfish has been paid!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks, all. Much appreciated!!

PS: I will make a gen vs. rep review as soon as I receive the gen. But after that, I'd be interested to trade my rep (EU-only) to a pristine Skyland v2 black dial. Best versions of the graphite BCE can be considered too (the ones with that good datewheel).

If no good trade offers pop up, I will sell it to Maximillian (who already reserved it). It's an awesome example. Most evenly applied lume dots I've seen on the SFSO reps.

1-2.jpg

Thanks MP. That's a lovely cream Fish.

You can be sure that I will post a lot of pictures. Meanwhile RobbieG's amazing shots will have to do. These actually pushed me to purchase the gen. :)

• 9 months later...